dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have long fancied making one of these 2 locomotives for my line.
E69737E4-1033-4E84-81E5-51D76DAB491E.jpeg
They had quite an interesting history being built by Schneider in 1899 for the NWE (Nordhausen Wernigerode Eisenbahn) but presumably being used mostly on the Selktalbahn. I cannot imagine they would have been much use going to the Broken or even some of the gradients between Nordhausen and Wernigerode but who knows? Any how both found themselves in France during WW2 and in repatriation to Germany ended up back in the Harz In 1946. 71 by then 99 5631 ended up parked at Barth on the Frankburger Kreisbahn whereas 72 or 99 5632 as it became may have been on the Harz till 1956 then ultimately scrapped in 1960. Bit early for my period but well streching the imagination a little is part of what I like to do.

The apparent similarity to the Austrian U2 is immediately apparent and I did in fact buy a newer model recently for a battery conversion, however an older one with metal Gears was my choice after that miss placed buy. So the recent offer of a second hand one on here at a good price non working was too good to turn down. Well…..

Today I have stripped the oldie down, one side of the bar holding the valve gear is broken, likely this and some odd wiring cutting inside being the non working issues. The valve gear has been taken off and the remaining chassis put to power. Joy of joys it runs as sweat as a nut, so a strip down and clean up, repairs to the valve gear and some minor detail mods should see my wish for one of these locomotives fulfilled. TBC.

Last edited: