LGB 20390 (RhB ABe 4/4 Triebwagen) - early compared to late?

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I read on one the German language web sites a while ago that the first release of the LGB 20390 railcar (running number 34) in 2003 had some sort of problem, which lead to a design change circa 2004. The revised design retained the 20930 part number but carried a running number of 32. All the subsequent releases of the 2x39x ABe 4/4 railcars have the updated design.

My German wasn't up to understanding what the problem and subsequent design change actually were. I'm hoping that somebody here can explain it in English, and also what I need to do to correct the problem on my two 20390 #34 railcars.

Thanks,

Bill

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Can you point us to the original article you found? - There are German speakers on the Forum..

Matthias

Registered
13 Apr 2019
Switzerland
www.beathis.ch
Best answers
Country flag
There was an issue with the "3-point" mounting of the bogies with the frame. I made an old description of this conversion with pictures:

Link Modification (german)

I had to replace the top of the bogie-case and install an other counterpart in the frame.

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Matthias..

Google makes a good job of the translation, in this case.

PhilP.

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
There was an issue with the "3-point" mounting of the bogies with the frame. I made an old description of this conversion with pictures:

I had to replace the top of the bogie-case and install an other counterpart in the frame.

Thanks Matthias, that looks like the sort of issue that I read about, and thankfully it looks like a straightforward solution.

Cheers,

Bill

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

Hi Mattias, great article about this, I have searched and cant find any links to be able to purchase the spare parts to fix this. Did you get the parts from LGB ?

Matthias

Registered
13 Apr 2019
Switzerland
www.beathis.ch
Best answers
Country flag
I could buy it at this time from my shop. Ask some shops directly. Perhaps someone has this part still on stock.

This is my prefered shop here in Switzerland: Home

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps someone has this part still on stock.
Despite a very wide search I could not locate any. However the new motor block cover is available as a spare part....

IMG_1343.jpeg

... and the bearing plates to go on the body are readily fabricated from layers of plastic card material (old swipe cards are an ideal source).

IMG_1344.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpeg
    IMG_2717.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Despite a very wide search I could not locate any. However the new motor block cover is available as a spare part....

View attachment 316379

... and the bearing plates to go on the body are readily fabricated from layers of plastic card material (old swipe cards are an ideal source).

View attachment 316380
Thanks Tools, When i looked at the exploded diagram for the various models in this range on the LGB website it didnt show the extra bridge on there so wondered if they had created a stronger connection. I did think a small 3d print might do the job ! at last a real reason for owning the 3d printer !

PS, hope you enjoyed that dinner by the waterfront.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I assumed the card was cut-up, after paying for the meal?
;)

A good tip, though. (no pun) :giggle:

PhilP