phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Questions on getting into these railcars crop up about once a year so I though I'd provide some insights gained from opening my Bernina ABe 4/4 I multiple times.

The first two pics show the 4 small screws that outwit everyone on their first attempt!

ABe 4-4 I - 1.jpeg ABe 4-4 I - 1 (1).jpeg

Next the location of the other 8 screws that fix the body to the chassis.

ABe 4-4 I - 1 (2).jpeg ABe 4-4 I - 1 (3).jpeg ABe 4-4 I - 1 (4).jpeg

Next up - the sliding doors - you can tape them to the body now or later. If you try to re-assemble the railcar without doing this... well all I can say is good luck!

ABe 4-4 I - 1 (5).jpeg

With the railcar resting on its roof and the 12 screws removed the chassis can be lifted free of the body. Watch out for the headlight wires on both ends as you separate the chassis.

ABe 4-4 I - 1 (6).jpeg

Don't forget to add some more passengers now that you've got the loco open!

I found it easiest to lower the body onto the chassis when re-assembling the railcar. You will need to fiddle with it a bit to get it lowered over the seats. Don't force it all the way down! There will undoubtably be some pinched wires! Carefully turn the railcar over so it is resting on its roof again. Then tease the headlight wires out so they are free. I used a pair of tweezers to do this. Also beware of the wires that pass through the bathroom compartment. Finally, make sure no wires get pinched between the 1st/2nd class compartment divider and chassis floor. You may need to raise the body slightly in order to tuck some wires away with your tweezers.

Now, before you put the screws back in, put the railcar on a test track and make sure everything is working to you satisfaction.

I did not want to needlessly open my railcar for these disassembly / re-assembly hints. If someone wants to add more pics and hints or observations to this thread please feel free. My ABe 4/4 I has been apart for various reasons 4 times in the twenty years I've had it. But, I did this post from memory :think:and may have left out something important.

Edited to correct title from 2x37x to 2x39x!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Brill, wish we had thought of the tape for the doors when we did the Ruschbahn one, the doors were the real issue on reconstruction even with 4 hands working on the beast.

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Questions on getting into these railcars crop up about once a year so I though I'd provide some insights gained from opening my Bernina ABe 4/4 I multiple times.

The first two pics show the 4 small screws that outwit everyone on their first attempt!

View attachment 307693 View attachment 307694

Next the location of the other 8 screws that fix the body to the chassis.

View attachment 307695 View attachment 307696 View attachment 307697

Next up - the sliding doors - you can tape them to the body now or later. If you try to re-assemble the railcar without doing this... well all I can say is good luck!

View attachment 307698

With the railcar resting on its roof and the 12 screws removed the chassis can be lifted free of the body. Watch out for the headlight wires on both ends as you separate the chassis.

View attachment 307699

Don't forget to add some more passengers now that you've got the loco open!

I found it easiest to lower the body onto the chassis when re-assembling the railcar. You will need to fiddle with it a bit to get it lowered over the seats. Don't force it all the way down! There will undoubtably be some pinched wires! Carefully turn the railcar over so it is resting on its roof again. Then tease the headlight wires out so they are free. I used a pair of tweezers to do this. Also beware of the wires that pass through the bathroom compartment. Finally, make sure no wires get pinched between the 1st/2nd class compartment divider and chassis floor. You may need to raise the body slightly in order to tuck some wires away with your tweezers.

Now, before you put the screws back in, put the railcar on a test track and make sure everything is working to you satisfaction.

I did not want to needlessly open my railcar for these disassembly / re-assembly hints. If someone wants to add more pics and hints or observations to this thread please feel free. My ABe 4/4 I has been apart for various reasons 4 times in the twenty years I've had it. But, I did this post from memory :think:and may have left out something important.

Edited to correct title from 2x37x to 2x39x!
Great info, thank you. Just hope the need does not arise , he says fingers crossed.
kev

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the info! This is exactly what I needed.

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Just seen this while watching a video on youtube, thought it might be a usefull clip, original post big help thanks

PS, glad Gregg Wallace wasnt in the original video !