LGB 2-4-0

JLoll

Registered
1 Apr 2018
On the Moon
Best answers
Country flag
What are peoples thoughts on the U.S. style LGB 2-4-0? (reliability, pulling power, problems/issues)
Thanks for your input.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Given its size, pretty heavy and good pulling power.

Normally a reliable, steady loco :nod::nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes agree with Rhino:rock::rock:

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, good loco if the factory fitted sound plays up, it can be the 6 way cable That links the loco and tender

Also the tender makes a good place To fit radio control to especially if you have no sound fitted

Dan

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have 2, one 0-4-0 one 2-4-0. One coal tender, one vanderbuilt tender.
The 0-4-0 can pull in reverse due to its pilot. Not so the other due to its small dummy coupler.
Considering lgb, and its rubber ruler , overall, these are perhaps, imho, one of the most toy like in terms of proportion and design “license”. I am, an lgb devote’.

They are very heavy, smoke well, have unusually delicate detail parts, especially the tender steps.
Parts are....virtually unobtainable. They are chinese made, and, in my experience with chinese lgb products, the plastic is more like styrene than basf luran. Not the most durable. Careless screw tightening can result in cracked shells, etc.. also, the strofoam cradle can contribute to minor shipping damage, such as the tender stirrups. I know this first hand.

They have a reputation for excessive idler gear wear, partly due to lubricant issues, as i have read. I suspect that any heavy lgb loco which is pulling heavy loads will suffer this way.

They are...absurd. Like a USRA mikado cut into 1/4length. Yet, they grew on me, mostly as a characature of a short stubby US mainline loco. And, i wanted a vanderbuilt tender. Then i bought a SRwy starter set, for fun.
I run mine exclusively with lgb standard gauge stock. Imho, they dont look like any prototype, especially due to the “oversized” drivers.

All this, but, the run beautifully, smoothly, and with a faint idler whir, even when well lubricated. I have no idea how they would do with heavy running, say compared to the ubiquitous stainz. I think much would depend on not over loading, as it can pull more than its gears can tolerate. Not unique to this loco, but for its heft.

They are nice because they are short, re sidings and R1. Sound is, imho, pretty good, but unsynchronised, which tends to irk me. Very fun.

You havent asked, but, new these were about $230. They seem higher now on eBay. Value is subjective, but, bear in mind the more common and robust mogul, forney, etc for any given price, and, parts.

If you want one, do it, but, buy one new or with little wear, imho. Be prepared, however, for a bit of an ugly duckling love hate emotion. Yhis happened to me, then i abandoned all modeling standards. Lol.

Last edited:

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
I have the great northern version with the Vanderbilt tender can't fault it great runner and reliable, also I only gave £120 for it.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They were 'cheap and cheerful' meaning the likes of GRS bought them by the bucketful.. If only for the motor-blocks / motion for their early 'kits'..

There used to be a box of brand-new bodies in the shop.. Think they may have all gone now? :think:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Here`s mine,not quite how it came out of the box:p:p:p2 4 0 014.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Above pic shows what a bit of effort can do to transform a Loco. My two have been the donor for a Mallett. If only I could find the thread that I created on this!

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
They are great pullers I had 2 loco,s only that I made into a Garrett would pull a house side down. I did hear that some that were made around time of lgb collapse had been left in a damp warehouse resulting in corroded circuit boards that were prone to fail. Buy one if cheap enough, I still have the Xmas one with sound in tender.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
They are great pullers I had 2 loco,s only that I made into a Garrett would pull a house side down. I did hear that some that were made around time of lgb collapse had been left in a damp warehouse resulting in corroded circuit boards that were prone to fail. Buy one if cheap enough, I still have the Xmas one with sound in tender.
I was warned about this as well being advised that fitting a Chip would trash the Chip. I got my two at £99 each from the Shop in York. Mine have had all the Boards taken out with the wiring direct to my Battery System, no lights but it all works well.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
RG DAD
nice job of weathering, nice photo indeed,
have a side view perchance?

Simply amazing what a nice paint job can do to transform toy to model.
Like the way the silver on the smokebox and steam chest cylinder ends shows through.

Last edited:

JLoll

Registered
1 Apr 2018
On the Moon
Best answers
Country flag
I would also consider a forney, but I don't think they would have enough room for r/c and sound.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I had one a few years ago, but sold it. On grades, it was not as good a puller as my Stainz locos. I do like the looks of them, however.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, seems to be 2 very different opinions on pulling power, segregated by an ocean!

Perhaps we are used to more pulling power here in the US, with larger locos, and the resultant higher current motors.

Greg

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
RG DAD
nice job of weathering, nice photo indeed,
have a side view perchance?
Thanks Steve,all I have is the following pics,sorry no full side views but some added details,drop plate with fireman figure goes in between the loco and tender,;)Overall great little loco and handles her duties well:cool::cool:249050249051249052

gnm109

Registered
27 Apr 2014
Sacramento County, California
Visit site
Best answers
The little 2-4-0's are LGB's best kept secret. I've had a #1218 for more than 20 years and just recently picked up a Southern version #281 with sound. I added aftermarket sound to the # 1218 version and I like both of them. They pull well and if weight is added, will pull up to ten cars. They are rather scarce these days. The ones prior to 1989 were built in West Germany, but nowadays they are built in China. They seem to have the same build quality.

JLoll

Registered
1 Apr 2018
On the Moon
Best answers
Country flag

gnm109

Registered
27 Apr 2014
Sacramento County, California
Visit site
Best answers
I just added another of the LGB line of 2-4-0 locomotives, except this one is a large 0-4-0, # 22232.. It's the same locomotive as the 20230, 20231, 20232 and 21232 except the lead truck was left off to make it an 0-4-0. It's in Great Northern Livery with a Vanderbilt Tender. It had OEM sound when I got it used last month but the chuff speed was too slow and there was no adjustment. Out it came and was replaced with an aftermarket sound system (Hyde-Out Mountain for Steam, available on eBay for $34.95 USD) The sound is perfect now and tracks perfectly with the speed of the drivers.

One thing that I discovered is that there is no documentation on the Vanderbilt Tender. I contacted the Marklin-LGB site and they told me that they were not involved in the development of this locomotive and tender combination. This is not good because mine was missing the foot steps on the corners of the tender as well as two walking boards and the oil fill door. Since there is no parts list, was no way to order these parts so I fabricated them. The locomotive portion is the same as the other 2-4-0 versions so there's no problem there. These are my favorites of the LGB line and one of the few American locomotives that they offer.LGB 22232 Great Northern 5-15-19 _2_.JPG

LGB 22232 Great Northern 5-15-19 _15_.JPG

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
I just added another of the LGB line of 2-4-0 locomotives, except this one is a large 0-4-0, # 22232.. It's the same locomotive as the 20230, 20231, 20232 and 21232 except the lead truck was left off to make it an 0-4-0. It's in Great Northern Livery with a Vanderbilt Tender. It had OEM sound when I got it used last month but the chuff speed was too slow and there was no adjustment. Out it came and was replaced with an aftermarket sound system (Hyde-Out Mountain for Steam, available on eBay for $34.95 USD) The sound is perfect now and tracks perfectly with the speed of the drivers.

One thing that I discovered is that there is no documentation on the Vanderbilt Tender. I contacted the Marklin-LGB site and they told me that they were not involved in the development of this locomotive and tender combination. This is not good because mine was missing the foot steps on the corners of the tender as well as two walking boards and the oil fill door. Since there is no parts list, was no way to order these parts so I fabricated them. The locomotive portion is the same as the other 2-4-0 versions so there's no problem there. These are my favorites of the LGB line and one of the few American locomotives that they offer.View attachment 252669

View attachment 252672
That's the one I have one of the wooden boards on my tender is missing