Leeds Hill Railroad II

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
Yes, I am keeping my railroad's name, as I really like it and my logo.

Today I started test-laying track for the first loop of the new LHRR. I didn't get a complete loop - as I am one R5 short. So it may not happen until the spring. But, at least for now I can start clearing brush and plan to order the ballast I'll need. Any suggestions thus far?

Track all outside ready to go...

camerafv5_0666.JPG

The R2 end of the loop is right off the front door.
camerafv5_0669.JPG

The gutter will be redirected so it's not pouring over the track. There should also be a path across here at some point....
camerafv5_0678.JPG

This decorative grass (right side) needs to be cut a bit for proper clearance, but overall I like this curve. The other end of it isn't connected yet, as I need that one missing R5 and a few lengths of straight. I also want to switch over to track clamps before proper running occurs...
camerafv5_0679.JPG

Attachments

• camerafv5_0668.JPG
    camerafv5_0668.JPG
    477.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 2 users

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
A bit of work done yesterday on the garden. Mostly just clearing an prepping for proper track laying. I've also come to terms with the fact that my measurements are off my several yards and thus my track plan is just plain wrong. I'm trying to adjust but things are not adding up on AnyRail. I think it'll just have to be a trial and error type of thing. AT least the track plan I created gives me a basic idea.
camerafv5_0983.JPG
camerafv5_0987.JPG
The spout for the gutter will be moved to follow the stone basin. I'm waiting for the part to be delivered (hopefully) Monday.

camerafv5_0989 (1).JPG
There are stakes in the ground marking the edge of the garden. The whole thing will be edged and cleaned up.
The straight route in this photo is going to have to curve around the bush that it's heading straight towards. No way I can move that!
camerafv5_0991.JPG
If you look carefully at this crappy photo you can see five stakes following the curve of the track marking the edge of the garden. I think some small shade plants will also be added around/under this large bush.

Reactions: 1 user

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
"I've also come to terms with the fact that my measurements are off my several yards and thus my track plan is just plain wrong. I'm trying to adjust but things are not adding up on AnyRail. I think it'll just have to be a trial and error type of thing. AT least the track plan I created gives me a basic idea."

Welcome to the garden! Sometimes it's more fun to wing it!

Phil S.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Some scary looking electrics on the Shed. Laying out real track to see what you can do is a great way of doing things. Sometimes you can spend an age doing plans on Computers but nothing works so well as just playing around with some rails.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
True! At least I have a basic idea of what i need. Now Ill buy what i think is right.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
"I've also come to terms with the fact that my measurements are off my several yards and thus my track plan is just plain wrong. I'm trying to adjust but things are not adding up on AnyRail. I think it'll just have to be a trial and error type of thing. AT least the track plan I created gives me a basic idea."

Welcome to the garden! Sometimes it's more fun to wing it!

Phil S.
In the garden, there's little point in worrying about the geometry - hacksaw and a bit of belly-bending are really all you need :cool::cool::cool:

The only time you need to be careful is where your minimum radius is concerned. Once you'e decided what that's going to be, and identified any locations that are critical for space, get those sorted and make everything else fit in between - keep life simple :smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Lots of progress the last few days! I've managed to clear most of the garden's weeds, move a plant, dig out grass, edge the garden, dig and level two concrete slabs (under turnouts), and smooth grades. Here's a few photos....

camerafv5_0082.JPGcamerafv5_0084.JPGcamerafv5_0099.JPGcamerafv5_0096.JPG
Turnout Mid.JPG

Attachments

• camerafv5_0096.JPG
    camerafv5_0096.JPG
    944.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 users

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
A little more work done on the LHRR yesterday....

I laid another stone under the east-most turnout.
camerafv5_0063.JPG

And I started planning the bridge at the corner of the house...
camerafv5_0049.JPG
camerafv5_0052.JPG

Then I took some photos of the RR as a whole...
camerafv5_0062.JPG
camerafv5_0073.JPG
camerafv5_0074.JPG

The spur coming off this loop is the last area I have to clear before the snow comes. Hopefully I get it done!

Attachments

• camerafv5_0066.JPG
    camerafv5_0066.JPG
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 2 users

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
110065_320676553381006fce33f284c7f8d8e3.jpg

NOW is the time to dig out the Grass
... It will take over there ...cut it up into smaller plants and find different places for it..
This could be your focal point a nice station etc.. It looks like that is the first thing you see ..

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
110065_320676553381006fce33f284c7f8d8e3.jpg

NOW is the time to dig out the Grass ... It will take over there ...cut it up into smaller plants and find different places for it..
This could be your focal point a nice station etc.. It looks like that is the first thing you see ..
Ive taken care of it as much as i needed to Sean. I also reworked the garden's edge to make the grass look more like it goes there. The other plants will fill in, but you are correct - it's a focal point for sure.

Markrider

Registered
24 Jan 2019
Kent
Best answers
any update on this ?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Wrong time of year for outside.. - 'Proper' winter over there.. :(:nod:

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
any update on this ?

Phil is very correct.

Unfortunately no progress. After Halloween the ground was too cold to work, so I stopped for the year. I'm attending a show tomorrow where I'm hoping to find good prices on track I need so I can lay more down in the spring.

I am planning a bridge and hoping to get that built so I can put it in place when the ground has thawed.