zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I just purchased a 2119D engine and tender. I discovered a sound system in the tender and also what looks to be a lead weight. It is a odd shape and was screwed to the bottom of the tender. It kinda looks like it is supposed to be there and it has a number on it 2018. But at the same time it looks like it has some kind of plaster on it that is flaking off inside the tender. My question is, is this weight part of original tender or was it added when the sound system was put in. Also the sound system says PH Hobbies Steam V2.6. Is this sound system any good? Thanks to all in advance for your knowledge and time.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The weight would probably have been there from day one. - Is the tender motorised?

PH Hobbies - An 'old'school' company from early days.. - Greg will be along to fill in the gaps, real soon.. :)

PhilP.

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
No the tender is not motorised. Can I get by without the weight as it has flaky stuff coming off of it and I really do not want to put it back in. Thanks PhilP.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
There is another thread running on this..

Soak the weight in a vinegar solution overnight.. Clean/dry and then spray with 'liquid electrical tape' also known as conformal coating.

PhilP

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil for the information.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
PH hobbies very old, sound OK, was oem to several manufacturers

not a complete inventory, but may be helpful:

Greg

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I am still working on cleaning, lubricating so I have not had it hooked up to engine tether yet to hear sound. There is a 0-1-2 switch on back of engine and I do not know what that switch is for. Thanks

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
0 off
1 lights and smoke, no motor ( to park loco)
2 motor, smoke, lights

That weight is important in keeping the tender on track, especially when reversing. it Is there for a reason. My first red mogul, purchased used was missing this weight. I later found one and installed it. The weight also keeps the tender on the track when slowing/stopping with a train, otherwise it can be pushed up and off the rails. Its lead. Wash your hands after handling.

the white stuff is simple efflorescing (sp?) , a precipitation due to moisture exposure. Wash it off, vinegar may work, i have no idea, i simply have washed it with detergent, rinse, dry. if it worries you, put the weight in a sandwich bag /sandwich wrap and reinstall.

rinse off the other stuff if you can safely, otherwise brush/ vacuum it away.

How might i know this?

Last edited:

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Steve for the information.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The white stuff is not "fluorescing" (which means glowing), or "effervescence", but lead carbonate, where lead reacts carbon dioxide or other things in the air (hydrogen sulphide).

Don't wire brush it off without wearing a mask.

Greg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The white stuff is not "fluorescing" (which means glowing), or "effervescence", but lead carbonate, where lead reacts carbon dioxide or other things in the air (hydrogen sulphide).

Don't wire brush it off without wearing a mask.

Greg

Paint was made from white lead at one time. Lead used to be laid out in tenter fields to oxidise - and that was in the 20th century!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Efflorescence - I think is the term being looked for?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
may be what you are looking for, but not what is happening.... efflorescence is like the white stuff leaching out of concrete as it gets wet and the dries out....

not the same thing, this is a chemical reaction between the surface of the lead and things in the environment.

and poisonous

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
may be what you are looking for, but not what is happening.... efflorescence is like the white stuff leaching out of concrete as it gets wet and the dries out....

not the same thing, this is a chemical reaction between the surface of the lead and things in the environment.

and poisonous

Effervescence is the escape of gas from an aqueous solution and the foaming or fizzing that results from that release. The word effervescence is derived from the Latin verb fervere (to boil), preceded by the adverb ex. It has the same linguistic root as the word fermentation. Source Wikipedia

The white powder is most likely an oxide, the majority of weights I have encountered are an alloy and not pure lead so possibly it is one of the metals in the alloy that is oxidizing.

At the end of the day just wash it off under water. dry thoroughly (using a hair dryer is one method) and coat with thin film of an oil of some sort.
The Navy uses "Ardrox" to reduce corrosion on its helicopters or for a more environmentally friendly try Lanolin.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jeeze, the white power is lead carbonate, no question!!! See post #10

Instead of speculating, please at least research if you disagree...

I use Lanocote here in the USA, and yes it uses lanoline.

Before:

weight_corrosion.JPG

After:
weight_cleaned.JPG

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Efflorescence was the term i was thinking of.
words, as we know, are important...and its great to be kept honest......

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Jeeze, the white power is lead carbonate, no question!!! See post #10

Instead of speculating, please at least research if you disagree...

I use Lanocote here in the USA, and yes it uses lanoline.

Before:This Lanocote does it stay tacky after spraying it on the lead? Thanks Greg

weight_corrosion.JPG

After:
weight_cleaned.JPG

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
This Lanocote you talk of using Greg does it stay tacky to the touch even after it dries?

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
Lead can permanently damage the neurological development of children (retard the potential intelligence.) Lead dust particles introduced to a household vacuum cleaner will become airborne when exhausted through the filter. The lead dust will be disbursed to all surrounding surfaces, including the homes carpet the next time the vacuum is used for it’s intended purpose. Removing the weight, soaking it in vinegar, and sealing it would be the better option. WASH your hands.