Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
The spring... On the skate..in the tenderIMG_20190320_135931.jpgIMG_20190320_140949.jpg

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Aperntly if the spring isn't made correct or fitted correctly it can become a heating element

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Aperntly if the spring isn't made correct or fitted correctly it can become a heating element
Too much reliance on plastic.

I have found that Bachmann on their last great Fn3 loco, the C-19 resorted to the metal bogie sides that I have been advocating for so long. A plastic cross member with metal bogie sides and split axles - all your current pick up issues sorted.

LGB could have done the same with those skates - if the central piece were plastic, but the side lugs metal, then the spring / heating element wouldn't be taking all the current :nod::nod::nod:

I think that large scale trains have often been hampered by the approach that 'it's always been done like this'. :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So Mike,
Isn't this a new loco? - To have a meltdown like that, looks like only picking up from the tender on that side?? :(:think::think:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
So Mike,
Isn't this a new loco? - To have a meltdown like that, looks like only picking up from the tender on that side?? :(:think::think:

That's my concern. For the spring to "become a heating element" it must have not inconsiderable resistance.
As current tends to take the path of least resistance it suggests that the spring was the only effective pickup.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Pondering removing the skates altogether...

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Pondering removing the skates altogether...

Certainly do a continuity test, down that side of the loco.. I assume the loco picks-up on all wheels? - Does the loco have skates?? Chaeck those as well.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So Mike,
Looking back at the diagram that Mike posted when Alan was querying the chassis flex method, there's no indication of skates on the loco, and there's none visible in the photos.

So, the current collection on the loco has to be through wipers - which I haven't managed to detect on the diagram yet .................... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gardenbahner

Registered
10 Jul 2013
Best answers
The skate on the r/h side seems to be in a raised position compared to the left. The r/h spring is under compression and the left one isn't. is it stuck maybe?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
The skate on the r/h side seems to be in a raised position compared to the left. The r/h spring is under compression and the left one isn't. is it stuck maybe?
It's spring has Melted...and now the skate is stuck..

Last edited:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Lgb have responded by sending replacement parts thanks to my local dealer... I'm pondering not fitting the skates as such and simply removing the metal skates leaving the plastic holders and wires in place

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
For what it cost I would be tempted to send the whole lot back to LGB Mike and ask them for a new one that works!

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I think I could hold a pretty good, long argument that Bachmann's C-19 is better quality in both design and build than LGB's RhB 2-8-0 o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

That indicates two major disappointments:

1. That Bachmann took so long to get there
  2. That LGB are slipping

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I think I could hold a pretty good, long argument that Bachmann's C-19 is better quality in both design and build than LGB's RhB 2-8-0 o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

That indicates two major disappointments:

1. That Bachmann took so long to get there
  2. That LGB are slipping

In this case some "features" may be heavily influenced by Brawa's original design.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
In this case some "features" may be heavily influenced by Brawa's original design.

So Marklin/LGB should have known better, and adjusted things below the running board! - Presumably, they had to make some changes for a different motor, anyway?? :(:nerd::think::think:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Lgb have responded by sending replacement parts thanks to my local dealer... I'm pondering not fitting the skates as such and simply removing the metal skates leaving the plastic holders and wires in place
I suppose it's a question of how many pickups there are on the loco, and what distance they are spread over :think::think::think:

Or, is there a continuity issue between loco and tender :oops: