Layout change.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Morning all. Cold outside so I have been finalising the extension. I've shortened the distance between the R1 loops in order to fit in the R3 loop. The upper branchline spur rises 18 inches. It looks a bit ungainly on paper but gives me an out and back plus a round and round for the children and testing. Any comments welcome.
Trevor

IMG_20210405_111851_kindlephoto-241283867.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Morning all. Cold outside so I have been finalising the extension. I've shortened the distance between the R1 loops in order to fit in the R3 loop. The upper branchline spur rises 18 inches. It looks a bit ungainly on paper but gives me an out and back plus a round and round for the children and testing. Any comments welcome.
Trevor

View attachment 283302
Only comment I have would be to the loops on the main, thus if you have any big stuff testing or running can be done using the loops rather than having to go round the R1’s. But that may be irrelevant if the points are all R1.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good, one idea I’ve had is an extra set of points as shown in my sketch,
it would then give a big continuous loop.

C9B252D7-393B-4A69-AE59-B3DB831D6358.jpeg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good, one idea I’ve had is an extra set of points as shown in my sketch,
it would then give a big continuous loop.

View attachment 283306
Big loop using the 2 reversing loops I think you mean. So now we need to get to how you going to power things?

Battery power or Live Steam no problems.
Analogue you would need polarity changing switches for either thencentre section ir each of the loops.
DCC reversing modules for each loop.

Then points at the loops, spring points should work ok but can fail and cause light wagons to derail.

Lots of questions as to what you are planning rather than just a track plan.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the thoughts. With regard to the second one, would the extra reversing loop require another Massoth module?

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry. I wrote the last post then noticed I hadn't posted it and then as soon as I hit the button, I realised my question had already been answered.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
With regard to Jon's comment, the points highlighted are/will be R3.

IMG_20210405_111851_kindlephoto-245388936.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Probably the same as Dan's suggestion, but a pair of points (a LH and a RH) to give you a return loop back to your high level line....

416433_IMG_20210405_111851_kindlephoto-241283867.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
With regard to Jon's comment, the points highlighted are/will be R3.

View attachment 283309
A little bitbof tweaking should be able to give you a fully R3 loop and passing siding with possibilities for locomotives that need that to run with ease.

As for the reverse loops, I believe there is a thought that 2 modules can do 2 loops but if you have 2 trains calling for the loops to do their thing I think that will cause problems.But I will bow to a higher authority on that statement.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I would definitely agree with the others about having 2 full loops

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have 2 Reversal Modules with one operating one reversal chord of R2 which is just long enough for my 6 car TEE VT11 train.

The other module is connected to 2 chords but it is impossible for trains to be in both loops at the same time....

layout.jpg

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
With the Massoth reverse loop modules you can have two or more on the layout and have them both in use at the same time.
The Massoth units can be operated with very short sections (2cm ish) of insulated rail at either end of the reversing section. Theses detect an arriving or departing train and switch the reversing section accordingly avoiding the need to detect short circuits and thus avoiding the issues around having multiple reversing loops on the layout. Easy to install as they come with the four short sections of rail and insulated rail joiners.
I have two on my layout and they work faultlessly - I don’t even think about them being there!

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Trevor

View attachment 283302
Anglian, I say what ever makes you happy, when I had mine at about 500 feet of track, no 2 weeks was the track plan the same, I would run an area and find what I didn't like and change it track rested on the dirt until I was sure of its longevity, Enjoy the railroad but don,t make it work . I would suggest you adding another reversing loop at the left end so that if traveling counter clockwise you could utilize the siding at the bottom of "B"

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Anglian, I say what ever makes you happy, when I had mine at about 500 feet of track, no 2 weeks was the track plan the same, I would run an area and find what I didn't like and change it track rested on the dirt until I was sure of its longevity, Enjoy the railroad but don,t make it work . I would suggest you adding another reversing loop at the left end so that if traveling counter clockwise you could utilize the siding at the bottom of "B"
Thanks Bill. Things are indeed changing. All part of the fun .
Trevor

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Trevor, here is a quote about me that was published in the Summer addition of the LGB Telegraph, "Bill Barnwell is well known in the Florida Garden Railway Society for re configuring his outdoor layout regularly" it's where the fun is, BB old_water_fall_8_cool.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I must admit to having the same problem. I know as soon as I get something laid out, I'll want to change it

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
You are lucky that you have the space to experiment Trevor!

The Gardening Authority only granted me a long strip of land for my PW.

HS2 have less of an issue than I....

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You are lucky that you have the space to experiment Trevor!

The Gardening Authority only granted me a long strip of land for my PW.

HS2 have less of an issue than I....
Just think yourself lucky you don't have to deal with the Oxford-Cambridge line!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just think yourself lucky you don't have to deal with the Oxford-Cambridge line!
A line that would probably have less issues if they tried to use as much if the old line where available as possible.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A line that would probably have less issues if they tried to use as much if the old line where available as possible.
That would upset the owners of the old Longstowe Station building, they have their own tracks and signals there already