nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
dutchelm said:
RSB said:
Many thanks for all the replies so far, they have all been very helpful and informative.

So far I think I am likely to go with digging a trench, lay weedproof membrane and then fill with ballast / pee shingle.

The track I am going to use is LGB, would 10mm pea shingle be ok for ballast?
The biggest mistake on my line was to use pea gravel. It will not hold the track in place & is a liability as ballast. You need gravel or grit with corners to lock together & hold the track in place. The later sections of mine are laid in horticultural grit.
mike is right dont use pea gravel,i used 5mm limestone gravel

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
I did a wee topic on how I laid track (trench, basecourse and sharp sand ballast) here http://www.gscalecentral.net/m27429...oils over time. Hope that is helpful :)

RSB

Registered
29 Dec 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you everyone for your input - its given me plenty of food for thought!
I have purchased a large amount of membrane to stop weed growth, - pegged the track out and will shortly make a start on digging the track bed out.

My plan is to dig out 2 / 3 inches - used large 10mm gravel at the base and then smaller 5mm gravel / grit for the top.
Anyone know a good supplier of 5mm gravel in the South - I have been to a few garden centres and they only seem to have 10mm stuff.

jacobsgrandad

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I would repeat what other people have said dont use gravel use grit I used 4mm from Wickes. The sharp edges cause it to grip together better and hold the track in place.