Laying Track

RSB

Registered
29 Dec 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I am in the planning stage of laying my railway, I plan to use LGB track.
I have purchased various Garden Railway books, and looked at the various options, but how has everyone laid there track?

I plan to lay mine on the ground, what is the best / most practical way of doing so?

Best Regards

Rob

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
f77f69ffd8eb4ae186450a589f940f2d.jpg

depends on how good your knees are#!!

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
There are so many ways of laying track. All have advantages & disadvantages.
My preference is to dig a trench, line with a weed suppressant membrane, fill with fine gravel or grit & lay the track on top. Easy to do, easy to change but needs regular leveling.
The opposite extreme is to lay a concrete foundation & put the track on that. Hard work, hard to change but needs little maintenance (unless you get subsidence when you have major problems).
There are different ways between these extremes, non are wrong. It depends what suits you.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
A lot of people use decking boards. Just remember to treat any sawn edges with preservative.

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
I use boards covered with roofing felt, fitted to stakes to get the level/gradient
track screwed to boards
felt weatherproofs and looks a bit like ballast

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
You've opened a can of worms there :D :D :D

My advice - keep reading this forum, you will learn all you need to know :clap:

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
A lot depends on whether you want to use sectional or flexible track. If you use flexible track you'll need a firm base (eg concrete, blocks or timber) to keep the track aligned. If you use sectional (ie ready-formed) track sections then you can lay track on loose ballast or on a firm base - your choice.

To complicate matters, you can get a track bender to preform your flexible track so it behaves like sectional track.

As mentioned earlier - there are as many ways of laying track as there are garden railway modellers.

Rik

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
If you do a search on here there is a lot of advice already :)
I'm in the same position but so far have learnt that the weedproof membrane is probably a hindrance in that the lower layer of ballast doesn't lock into the earth. I'll be digging a trench, laying coarse gravel with fines - then levelling and tamping, adding a finer layer and then track down. Ballast over when finished and give it all a good wetting.

Gleaned from here, books and the 16mm society guide.

Reactions: 1 user

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Mine just sits on a bed of alpine grit on top of weed control fabric.

decff32286b7409da9cec5a9cd365229.jpg

As other have said the decision is yours:thinking:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Pictures say it all really.
Concrete blocks settled into a bed of sharp sand amd decking boards for higher tracks.
I also used an 8 x 8 inch gate post and a length of 6 x 2 inch that was left over from building the house extension.
80febc8d1ce645a3aad9e965e5ddea1a.jpg

ec970d8386b349d4af69c2cecddb7af2.jpg

5deef8d03ef6451287a830a86d69ef11.jpg

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Try looking at this for some methods.

http://www.gscalecentral.net/m66719

As said already it's what suits you that is the correct way, just have a good look round first. There are one or two things I might change if I was to start again from scratch, but what I 've done suits me for now

jacobsgrandad

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
As everyone has said there are many ways. I have used decking boards, plywood shuttering, concrete, 4mm grit over weed membrane and flagstones dependant upon location and what I had available, all this using peco flexitrack. Just making the point that there is no one "correct" way

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Here's a few pix of my approaches. But I'm not saying my methods are best - I just happened to have some spare breeze blocks kicking about when I laid the first length of track and the new extension needed to be about two feet above ground level so timber was the best option.

IR114725024.jpg
spirit.0.jpg

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

My railway is generally 6 inches to 2'6" above the level of the surrounding garden on raised beds or timber - but that's cos I'm getting old and decrepit and it saves bending too much. Here's how I constructed the raised beds:

IMG_3819.JPG
IMG_3856.JPG

Which I then clad in sandstone. This is actually a veg bed but the other beds used the same principle - I kidded the neighbour that I hadn't seen the missus since I'd completed this bed ..........

Rik

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers

RSB

Registered
29 Dec 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for all the replies so far, they have all been very helpful and informative.

So far I think I am likely to go with digging a trench, lay weedproof membrane and then fill with ballast / pee shingle.

The track I am going to use is LGB, would 10mm pea shingle be ok for ballast?

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
jameshilton said:
If you do a search on here there is a lot of advice already :)
I'm in the same position but so far have learnt that the weedproof membrane is probably a hindrance in that the lower layer of ballast doesn't lock into the earth. I'll be digging a trench, laying coarse gravel with fines - then levelling and tamping, adding a finer layer and then track down. Ballast over when finished and give it all a good wetting.

Gleaned from here, books and the 16mm society guide.
Be warned. The weedproof membrane not only stops the weeds coming up, it stops the ballast going down. Be it on your own head if you leave it out!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
It will work but it is not the best. It is very round and therefore rolls away from where you want it. Its also a bit large. An alpine grit or potting grit from the garden centre is usually finer and more angular. You could start with peabeach and then cover with grit.
A bit like foundations - there are also many ways of ballasting.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
It may look a little large and you will struggle to keep it still due the roundness of the stones, the idea of balast is that all the sharp edges lock into place and hold the track firm. If the real ballast become to round it is normally replaced as the track quality will deteriate much faster than with ballast with sharp interlocking corners...

But it is you railway so its up to you.

Have a look round you local garden centre to see what they have

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
RSB said:
Many thanks for all the replies so far, they have all been very helpful and informative.

So far I think I am likely to go with digging a trench, lay weedproof membrane and then fill with ballast / pee shingle.

The track I am going to use is LGB, would 10mm pea shingle be ok for ballast?
The biggest mistake on my line was to use pea gravel. It will not hold the track in place & is a liability as ballast. You need gravel or grit with corners to lock together & hold the track in place. The later sections of mine are laid in horticultural grit.