Laying (and fixing) track to concrete

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
I've started work on what's been christened the AYUR (as yet unnamed railway), laid some track down on wood and pinned it in place every couple of feet or so with small nails, but I've come to a bit of a halt because the route of the track now needs to follow (for about 6 feet) a path made out of concrete paving slabs.

What's the best way to fix the track down to the paving slabs? Small nails aren't going to work :D

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Hi Mike
drill, plug and screw (ooohh er missus)

What size screw/plug do you reckon? I guess it'd need to be big enough to be solid, but small enough that it doesn't turn the sleeper into a mangled mess of plastic!

I saw the Garden Railway DVD with Mark Found, where the consultant chap says don't fix down the rails in the middle of the sleeper (between the rails) because there's a risk of the track going out of gauge... is this really a big risk, or just perfectionism?

Trip to B&Q for me tomorrow morning I think :)

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
mikesilky said:
What size screw/plug do you reckon? I guess it'd need to be big enough to be solid, but small enough that it doesn't turn the sleeper into a mangled mess of plastic!

I saw the Garden Railway DVD with Mark Found, where the consultant chap says don't fix down the rails in the middle of the sleeper (between the rails) because there's a risk of the track going out of gauge... is this really a big risk, or just perfectionism?

Trip to B&Q for me tomorrow morning I think :)
For concrete trackbeds I use the small Red plugs, with a suitably small masonry drill bit to suit, place the track in exact position and then drill through the middle of the plastic sleeper and into the concrete. Tap in the plug level with the top of the sleeper, and insert the screw. As long as you don't over tighten the screw you won't pull the track gauge in, however if you do over tighten it you will.

Happy steamings,

John