Lawn disaster

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Oh well, the mess has now had lots of treatment and TLC, the seeds are in place, a dozen bird dissuaders are in situ and so I am now just hoping the gods will smile on my efforts to repair the damage!
21Apr2014001Small.jpg

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
We live in an almost permanent drought. I got so sick and tired of trying to make our front lawn grow (poor soil and constant watering) that I took it out completely and replaced it with native species and Mediterranean drought tolerant species plants, now I water it about once a week in summer (drip irrigation) and any "weeds" are now just part of the garden, its especially spectacular in spring when everything is in bloom.

Backyard is covered (or getting) with paver blocks.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
vsmith said:
We live in an almost permanent drought. I got so sick and tired of trying to make our front lawn grow (poor soil and constant watering) that I took it out completely and replaced it with native species and Mediterranean drought tolerant species plants, now I water it about once a week in summer (drip irrigation) and any "weeds" are now just part of the garden, its especially spectacular in spring when everything is in bloom.

Backyard is covered (or getting) with paver blocks.

"weeds"
What most of us consider a nuisance, can be rather beautiful in flower

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
I think the definition of a weed is any plant that is not available in garden centres. :D

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I think the biggest problem with nature is our perception of it!

I have to accept the moss because, from 20ft away, it looks green. Now my better half as suggested I extend my garden line into the front garden and dig up the moss/grass.

Trouble is, if I had the energy I would have made a proper lawn in the first place :)

But the suggestion is worth considering if I make a 12ft level crossing (the drive) :D

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
You can surprise first-time visitors with the crossing: install large, almost full-size crossing signs, flashing lights and bells. When your visitors drive in activate them and let a train cross. :happy:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Now that's an idea :happy: I have a warning sign from the Giants Causeway Tramway as a starter.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
vsmith said:
We live in an almost permanent drought.

:mad: Yes, I believe it. I've spent a grand total of 14 weeks in the Mid West, and we got 35 mins of rain the whole time.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
I think the biggest problem with nature is our perception of it!

I have to accept the moss because, from 20ft away, it looks green. Now my better half as suggested I extend my garden line into the front garden and dig up the moss/grass.

Trouble is, if I had the energy I would have made a proper lawn in the first place :)

But the suggestion is worth considering if I make a 12ft level crossing (the drive) :D

But what's wrong with moss?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:

It takes a 100 years to develop a 100mm of turf! No there is nothing wrong with it but it does show footprints when you walk on it (although they do go away after a while :D ).

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
It takes a 100 years to develop a 100mm of turf! No there is nothing wrong with it but it does show footprints when you walk on it (although they do go away after a while :D ).
Does that depend on how fast they are walking?
;) ;) :D :happy: :happy:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Quote from: trammayo on April 25, 2014, 05:19:59 AM

Does that depend on how fast they are walking?

roflmao.gif

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Beddhist said:
I think the definition of a weed is any plant that is not available in garden centres. :D
I think a weed is a plant growing where you do not want it to be growing... Lots of weeds in garden centres, Lantana, blackberries, dandelions ( in punnets of 6 plants) etc...

philkelly

France, railcars, DCC
24 Oct 2009
Islington, London & Vienne, France
Best answers
Country flag
American tourist to gardener at Oxford college: "Say, how do you get that lawn so level and green?"

"Nothing special sir; just mow it and roll it -

for 400 years or so."

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
it does show footprints when you walk on it (although they do go away after a while :D ).
into the soles of my shoes which I then go and walk on the living room rug on ::) spectacular results if you call an exploding wife a spectacle :eek:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
I think a weed is a plant growing where you do not want it to be growing... Lots of weeds in garden centres, Lantana, blackberries, dandelions ( in punnets of 6 plants) etc...

Dandelions
I could make a nice salad every night if I was so inclined to pick them from my lawn ::)

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Madman said:

'Stirling' stuff!

(one or two may get that but if you don't you're probably just tooo young!)

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone remember remember the Spear and Jackson 'song'?
"You can dig it, you can mow it, you can rake it, you can sow it.."

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP said:
Does anyone remember remember the Spear and Jackson 'song'?
"You can dig it, you can mow it, you can rake it, you can sow it.."

I can remember Stirling Moss - but not S & J's song. You hum it and I'll try and play it :happy:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
(sadly)
I have a floppy 45rpm vinyl version of it in the loft if the heat has not cooked it to death!
??? ;) :D