Lawn disaster

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
My little circular back lawn, carefully prepared and laid 5 years ago and which has been lovingly tended ever since has all but died over the winter and all the evidence points to leatherjackets (crane fly larvae) :mad: I've just been looking at last year's photos and comparing them to the patchy scrubland outside - very depressing.

I think the only solution is to thoroughly remove the lot and start again, and perhaps do the occasional treatment with nematodes on the replacement turf, just in case. I am so naffed off, as this was to be the first year when I entered the garden in the annual village open garden day.

Anyone ever suffered the same and recovered from it - I need a bit of moral support?!!

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Yes. Had my lawn laid to turf 8 years ago in the summer. By the autumn 3/4 gone, leatherjackets came with the turf :mad:
There was a "plague" of craneflies that summer. Re-seeded new spring. All was well by summer and since. There is some very natty "lawn" carpet available now. Looks very realistic.
Max.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I must admit mine looks like the goal mouth of a football pitch this year but i put it down to the amount of water we have had but other force's might be at work

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Tony said:
I must admit mine looks like the goal mouth of a football pitch this year but i put it down to the amount of water we have had but other force's might be at work
I had a perennial problem with my lawn getting mossed over and dying back where it is shaded by a Magnolia tree and the drainage isn't too good. I tried forking in "balast" to improve drainage and using shade resistant types of grass, not much improvement. Now, I chopped out problem area and planted with prostrate forms of small conifers to fringe the railway. Works a treat. Confers suck up the water and the grass now grows in the "fill-in" areas where I allow it. Also rake lawn in autumn to remove as much moss as possible to stop it getting a grip.
Max.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I cut my "lawn" yesterday afternoon. I say lawn because its a lovely green colour, but I think I have the makings of a Raised Bog - its about 70% Spagnum Moss - how on earth will I cure that?

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
I cut my "lawn" yesterday afternoon. I say lawn because its a lovely green colour, but I think I have the makings of a Raised Bog - its about 70% Spagnum Moss - how on earth will I cure that?
See reply #3 for starters, then re-seed in spring, Max.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
My original lawn had a moss problem but a couple of good goes with an electric scarifier plus a smattering of seeds (germinated 'offsite" in topsoil+compost before spreading) made it passable again. Until I had permission to rebuild the entire garden!

As for my current predicament, I've got an expert coming out to see tomorrow, followed by a chap to quote for returfing, but coming up on the outside is artificial grass (as you mentioned, Max - looks like I could replace the lot with good quality stuff for £400, so maybe that will be the solution. SWMBO is keen to see samples, which surprised me.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Cut half of mine on Monday and the other half today. Give it a coupla days and I'll hit with a granulated 'own make' weed and feed (which includes a moss killer) from the DIY store. Another ten days and the moss will have turned black (assuming it has rained) and then the electric scarifier a week or so after that, will shift it till next year. I found it a waste to hit it in the Autumn, just wait for the Spring. Doesn't pay to cut it too low, late in the season either, seems better left long over Winter.

Best thing with any grass is to cut it before it looks like it needs it.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
002.JPG :mad: Only trouble I have with lawn, is that the grass keeps growing, and I'm forever having to cut the stuff!

Seriously though, one sure way to kill a lawn, is to cut it too low.

This is my lawn, mowed 24 hours before the photo was taken. I try to keep it about this long. :)

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
bobg said:
Cut half of mine on Monday and the other half today.

:happy: Hope you cut the top half first, rather than trying to do the bottom.

whizzo

Hi all , i am interested in L.G.B electric running
24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
HI guys I have just read your threads regarding WEEDS --in shingle :mad: please can you say more about the exact mix of vinegar + salt :'( as I have the same problem -- do you put the mix in a watering can or go round with a small spray bottle -- thanks regards Dave

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
On the topic of lawns, we have about an acre of land. Most of it is "grass". I say that just to convince myself that it is. The ground we live on was never farmed, but was just fields that were near a turkey farm at one time. The turf is clumpy. My wife complains about it when she cuts the grass. Too bumpy a ride for her.

We've been here forty years. Once upon a time, I entertained Zoysia grass. But at that time, I could not afford it. Now I whish I had bit the bullet and bought a little at a time. Now we're looking into the remote possibility of having someone come in and till the whole thing to create a new "real" lawn. Again, the cost may be prohibitive.

My efforts are half hearted, as the lawn looks good when it's green and kept cut.

I believe grasses have been around for a mere thirty million years. There's a joke about gardeners killing off weeds to save the grass. An angel reports to God that the people are killing his beautiful flowers in order to plant dull mono-color grass.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
I had a bloke round to look at my lawn once ( i use the term loosely ) he got his little score card out to check.

Yep got full marks every weed know to man only thing missing was grass, its green it works for me ...

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
The turf is clumpy. My wife complains about it when she cuts the grass. Too bumpy a ride for her.

I take it that you have a ride-on mower, then. Build or hire a lawn roller to tow behind your mower. When the ground is wet and soft, but not so soft as to your mower sinking in, tow it all over the lawn. It will make it nice and level.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
That's an idea. Much less expensive than tilling and reseeding.

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
If you go ahead with it let us know how you get on. I found a rough concrete roller in one of our paddocks, but have never used it. Could use it on some clients' lawns...

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
Mick

Cut into turves and burn it? :D :D

Hat, coat, door >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
I believe grasses have been around for a mere thirty million years.
Before the grasses took over ferns were the main greenery on the planet 8)
I eliminated what last vestiges of grass were still out back but around the pond is a never ending weeding job despite using bark mulch.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
In the ideal world, I would not have a lawn. Instead, a lush overgrown fern garden. Or maybe pachysandra. However, on an acre of land it might be too much of an undertaking, not to mention maintenance. And I don't think SWMBO would agree to it.

In an area of the garden railway we call the "Woodlands", we have beautiful ferns and loads of pachysandra. Lily of the Valley has also taken hold rather well in the same area. The Hostas we planted do well in the same area. The entire woodland area requires the least work. Two large White Pine trees and a Maple, shade the entire location.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
KeithT said:
Mick

Cut into turves and burn it? :D :D

Hat, coat, door >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sell it to Peat Moss?