Lawley - the last of the line?

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
This beauty has just arrived. May well be the last loco I buy because my line doesn't seem to get used that often nowadays - life getting in the way. I'm not sure if it will manage my 4 ft radius curves. Even if it won't I'm not too bothered as it is a lovely thing (and I can run it on some friends' lines if need be).
R0003315(2).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A lovely looking loco, on my ever expanding wish list

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This beauty has just arrived. May well be the last loco I buy because my line doesn't seem to get used that often nowadays - life getting in the way. I'm not sure if it will manage my 4 ft radius curves. Even if it won't I'm not too bothered as it is a lovely thing (and I can run it on some friends' lines if need be).
View attachment 304411
One of my must have locomotives, however sadly as it is steam that in part stopped me from getting one. Though I would have been de-steaming the thing and putting batteries and DCC Sound RC in it, the fact that it needs pretty large curves was also an off putting moment.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
of my must have locomotives, however sadly as it is steam that in part stopped me from getting one. Though I would have been de-steaming the thing and putting batteries and DCC Sound RC in
Sacrilege o_O o_O o_O, surely someone must make a non-live team one

Last edited:
  • Wow

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Sacrilege o_O o_O o_O, surely someone must make a mon-steam one
Never seen one and did ask the Accy man at Peterborough was it in 2019? If I wanted one I would need to scratch one, not beyond my abilities but as a non Eastern German Loco there are other priorities to be scratch built.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Are the louvres prototypical? Looks a bid odd to me (not knowing the actual engine)
Looking at photos of the prototype they seem to have run both with and without louvres. Earlier photos show them with, later photos without. On the model the louvres are removable panels so it can represent either period. My model is in early Beira Railway livery so louvres are probably correct.

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Are the louvres prototypical? Looks a bid odd to me (not knowing the actual engine)
The useful book "The Two Foot Gauge Enigma" (Anthony Baxter, Plateway Press) has a lot of information and photographs of these engines. Very few of them show the louvres in place, as you might expect in the African climate. However, there are enough views which show the louvres to suggest that they were there on delivery. The preserved loco in the Bulawayo musum has the louvres, but of a different design. The Sandstone Railway has two of them in working order
BlackLawley_web.jpgGreenLawley_web.jpg
Apparently the Vale of Rheidol has two as well, recovered from a Mozambique sugar mill, but I don't know the current status of these.

Phil

• Love

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The useful book "The Two Foot Gauge Enigma" (Anthony Baxter, Plateway Press) has a lot of information and photographs of these engines. Very few of them show the louvres in place, as you might expect in the African climate. However, there are enough views which show the louvres to suggest that they were there on delivery. The preserved loco in the Bulawayo musum has the louvres, but of a different design. The Sandstone Railway has two of them in working order
View attachment 304443View attachment 304444
Apparently the Vale of Rheidol has two as well, recovered from a Mozambique sugar mill, but I don't know the current status of these.

Phil
Oh what, knew there was at least one in the UK. But two! Wow what a trip up the valley that will be with both double headed. In my lifetime I hope.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It sure is a looker! I ordered the same livery. Jolly green and red rods.
Another one, my retirement fund manager isn't getting. :happy: