Kippo Signal Box

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
In my engine siding I decided that the points (switches) control would be motorized via a local switch box:

Switch-05.jpg

However when permanently fitted this would require additional weatherproofing, in the guise of a building, the Kippo Signal Box fits the bill:

The part as they arrived, quite a lot of flashing:

Kippo Parts_1.jpg

Kippo Parts_2.jpg

Assembly has started, and I will keep you updated:

Kippo_Assy_1.jpg

Kippo_Assy_2.jpg

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
More work on the box, and the first deviation from the instructions, as the roof is to be removable to gain easy access inside I add weight, using my usual format, divers ballast held in place by polyurethane resin, the dark "blob" is screw assisting the retention of the chimney:

Kippo_Assy_3.jpg

All further detail added except for down-spouts, these will be added after painting:

Kippo_Assy_4.jpg

Second deviation from the instructions, is support (from plastistrut) to support the steps until in the final position:

Kippo_Assy_5.jpg

With the step temporally in position:

Kippo_Assy_6.jpg

Final scrub down next to ensure all the release agent is removed and off for the first coat of primer :)

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Assemblies cleaned and initial prime applied (to fine defects), what is now noticeable, is that some of the the patterns for the moulds were 3D printed as the primer has shown up the step marks in the castings. As the box would have been wood, this isn't a problem as it looks a lot like grain :)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
If it was about four inches lower, I'd be buying one; really looking forward to seeing your progress.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Quick update, I was going to hand paint the box, but after painting the steps, the finish was poor, the poor is hand painted but the main body is rattle can. So lot of masking tape, and time to see where we are:

IMG_1317.jpg

Also a quick trial to ensure its main purpose (i.e. protect my shed turnout switches) is still viable.

IMG_1318.jpg

A little bit of touch-up still required, where I over/under masked, final coat of white gloss to the window frames and glazing to be added, everything is on target.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Spot of nice whether so time to get the Signal Box, and the enclosed switches (points) switches in place.

View attachment 296544

And access to the switches:
View attachment 296545
That hopefully will help keep the crud and damp out, but miniature animal organisations will likely find a way in. Worst culprit would be ants that have made homes in some of my outdoor switch locations. Fortunately being air the boiling water eradication process does not do any damage to the controls. I do not like to use ant powder for reasons of nature in the garden. Newts mostly that do enjoy an ant or two.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
That hopefully will help keep the crud and damp out, but miniature animal organisations will likely find a way in. Worst culprit would be ants that have made homes in some of my outdoor switch locations. Fortunately being air the boiling water eradication process does not do any damage to the controls. I do not like to use ant powder for reasons of nature in the garden. Newts mostly that do enjoy an ant or two.
Every thing in the IP box is raised, so again will provide some protection, especially from the ants, which as you know like to pile soil everywhere.