King and Country vs W. Britain?

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
Best answers
Hello all,

Being an American I'm looking to build out a soldier layout but don't know these brands well. What are the main differences between kind and country vs. W. Britain's? I'm asking because my grandfather got us W. Britain but i keep seeing the other brand pop up often.

Thoughts?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
LGB Guy

Perhaps the confusion arises from the fact this is a model railway forum and you are asking a question about military figures. Perhaps it is a question best asked on a military modelling forum, I am sure there must be many out there.

David

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
If the question is because you want to add some military figures to a model railway, do be aware that the sort of figures you're talking about are (in terms of scale/size) more suited to Gauge 1 models, at between 1:29 and 1:32 scale, than to what is generally considered "G scale" (which is a whole different topic as regards scale, but is broadly speaking between 1:20 and 1:25).

Jon.

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
Best answers
OK? I guess my bad. I posted this in the Figures and accessories category thinking its about figurines. I wanted to use military figures on my layout and wasn't worried about scale. my bad i guess?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You're in the right place, in theory.

I don't recall seeing any great use of soldier figures on many G scale layouts. Mike has a couple of soldiers at his war memorial, and there is a Busybody range of soldiers intended to go with 16mm : 1ft models of the trench railway.

Other than that - it's a good shot, but you may not get a seriously helpful answer :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
What period/nationality of figures are you looking for? Modern, WW2, WW1, earlier....?

The pre-painted metal collectors' ranges like King & Country are extremely expensive, but there is a vast selection of much more affordable kit-form plastic figures available in similar scales.

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have a set of Military Bandsmen for my layout, but they aren't Brittains?

I found them in a garden centre.

For figures with LGB 1:22.5 to 1:24 scale, I use my credit card as a guide, a tip I got from Mel. If it is roughly the same size, then it is good for G scale modelling.

I guess this is what the OP is referring to....

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
Best answers
This is fantastic help on scale. I was ironically just looking up lgb size figures (just over 3 inches).

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
Best answers

For figures with LGB 1:22.5 to 1:24 scale, I use my credit card as a guide, a tip I got from Mel. If it is roughly the same size, then it is good for G scale modelling.

Thank you. I was ironically looking up sizes of lgb figures (just over 3inches).

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
Best answers
Thank you all but I will be honest and hope I don't get kicked off the site for starting a feud. Im a little younger than a Boomer so I've always found the 1950-60s theme a little boring. It's always the theme and I wanted to do more modern take. Either use soldiers or current toys to make the theme. I realize it's blasphemy but the train for me is more of the icing on the cake rather than the main attraction on a layout for me. Ive never seen an action diorama and i will use my train to add to the experience

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy's obviously got a fat credit card :D:D:D:D

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
In the military miniatures modelling/collecting hobbies, figure sizes are generally referred to by an average height measurement in mm - which is supposed to be defined as the scale height of an average male (5'9"?) from soles of feet to eye level (overall height to top of head is generally not used as it can be complicated by headgear/helmets, while eye-level is usually more easy to see and measure to); if you want figures that look approximately right for use with G scale, you need to look at figure ranges described as anything from 70mm to 90mm. Figures closer to scale for Gauge 1 trains would more commonly be described as 54mm or 60mm scale.

Gizzy's credit card suggestion is a very good rule of thumb - if a figure is about as tall as the LONG edge of a credit card, then it will probably look about right with G scale trains - at least, "close enough for Government work"....

Jon.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
to your question: Britains (with or without "W") are always good for 1:32. - king and country i don't know.

what do you want to buy? ready to place figures, or are you prepared to do some painting? if the latter, the cheap(er) unicolour plastic soldiers are for you. (as well, if your family name is Frankenstein - cutting up figures to produce unique poses can be fun)

anyhow, are you prepared to loose one or two days of your time? - if yes, go here: Home of Michigan Toy Soldier Company Fine Toy Soldiers and Military Miniatures (use their "power search")

or here: TSSD - Toy Soldiers of San Diego

or here? Plasticsoldiers.co.uk: Home

... and don't blame me for your lost time. you asked for it!

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
...you need to look at figure ranges described as anything from 70mm to 90mm. Figures closer to scale for Gauge 1 trains would more commonly be described as 54mm or 60mm scale.

i agree, except, that i think the 60mm are too big for 1:32. i think, they fit to 1:29.

Reactions: 1 user

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you all but I will be honest and hope I don't get kicked off the site for starting a feud. Im a little younger than a Boomer so I've always found the 1950-60s theme a little boring. It's always the theme and I wanted to do more modern take. Either use soldiers or current toys to make the theme. I realize it's blasphemy but the train for me is more of the icing on the cake rather than the main attraction on a layout for me. Ive never seen an action diorama and i will use my train to add to the experience
Bullyland did a serious of modern era soldiers. All were about 1:20 scale. I have a number of them on the CFR.

LGB Guy

Registered
14 May 2019
Tokyo
Best answers
to your question: Britains (with or without "W") are always good for 1:32. - king and country i don't know.

what do you want to buy? ready to place figures, or are you prepared to do some painting? if the latter, the cheap(er) unicolour plastic soldiers are for you. (as well, if your family name is Frankenstein - cutting up figures to produce unique poses can be fun)

anyhow, are you prepared to loose one or two days of your time? - if yes, go here: Home of Michigan Toy Soldier Company Fine Toy Soldiers and Military Miniatures (use their "power search")

or here: TSSD - Toy Soldiers of San Diego

or here? Plasticsoldiers.co.uk: Home

... and don't blame me for your lost time. you asked for it!
This post was beautiful. I kind of regret looking through your suggestions as I am now a poor man :)
Thank you