K27,SHMBO sent me out to buy it!

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have wanted a K27 for ages,missed out on Beavercreek`s` a while back so kept looking,then saw one for sale at GRS earlier in the week and went home and told the good lady,to be honest I was ummin` and ahrin` but she said that "you have wanted one ever since I can remember so just go and get it,it`s worth a look at any rate",(and she knew the price)so set off on Tuesday and returned home with a very large red box as it was love at first sight:h::h:mainly whilst playing with it in the shop for 20mins ringing bells and blowing whistles.:clap::clap:
Wednesday morning was a track test and some track adjustments were needed and soon sorted out,now runs like a dream,pics show the cab without blinds,these in the box and to be fitted soon when the crew are finished,crew members are seriously reworked Bachmann figures which I will post in the Figure thread section later.Please forgive the state of the track as this is currently work in progress:nod:,,,,,If anyone out there on the forum sold the old lady through GRS could you start a conversation as just a few questions I would like to ask,cheers,Neil.013.jpg002.jpg003.jpg008.jpg009.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Do GRS take old ladies in part exchange?

Reactions: 2 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Well done the swmbo

Reactions: 3 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have wanted a K27 for ages,missed out on Beavercreek`s` a while back so kept looking,then saw one for sale at GRS earlier in the week and went home and told the good lady,to be honest I was ummin` and ahrin` but she said that "you have wanted one ever since I can remember so just go and get it,it`s worth a look at any rate",(and she knew the price)so set off on Tuesday and returned home with a very large red box as it was love at first sight:h::h:mainly whilst playing with it in the shop for 20mins ringing bells and blowing whistles.:clap::clap:
Wednesday morning was a track test and some track adjustments were needed and soon sorted out,now runs like a dream,pics show the cab without blinds,these in the box and to be fitted soon when the crew are finished,crew members are seriously reworked Bachmann figures which I will post in the Figure thread section later.Please forgive the state of the track as this is currently work in progress:nod:,,,,,If anyone out there on the forum sold the old lady through GRS could you start a conversation as just a few questions I would like to ask,cheers,Neil.View attachment 244567View attachment 244568View attachment 244569View attachment 244570View attachment 244571
I'm sure you don't really have room for it, but I could test it for you ....................... :think::think::think::think:

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, but I bet it doesn't like R1 points :)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Are you sure you've got this right, I mean she said "worth a look" ! That doesn't actually mean "buy it"

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Still lovely looking loco, probably longer than my garden though!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
If you, like many people, had to add clearance on the layout in various places, remember that the window shade indeed make the loco wider... many people have torn them off with clearance issues.

So the first run on the layout with the shades should be with you walking right alongside the loco, trust me.

Greg

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the likes guys and Rhino,if we do another meet in the new year it may just turn up with me?;):giggle:,,,,no Jimmy,R3 and above,no R1s for this one,,,and Greg,plenty of clearance room for the window shades but thanks for the tip;),,,and Paul,she DID send me to buy it in the first instance and if you like it bring it home but it`s worth a look even if you don`t,"darling you`ve wanted one for ages so go for it!"my response was I waved to her as I left!!!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:and as a footnote she understood why I wanted one when I got it home when she saw it,bless her:h::h:014.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I can see the cylinder covers are missing. They may be still available as parts.
Bachmann have a 20% off parts sale at the moment. Code: MONSTER

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I can see the cylinder covers are missing. They may be still available as parts.
To be honest I had not noticed,will check it out,thanks,;)

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
That road name may not have had them on the Bachmann model.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Superb Loco, the real things are awsome. Must post a pic or two more on this thread of my visit to Colorado in 1994.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
That road name may not have had them on the Bachmann model.
After some research it seems the cylinders are correct on this particular loco,many pics on line of the loco show as is but must say I had fun looking,;);)

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag

Cylinder and valve chest covers are not missing but they are different, plain discs, on the green boiler jacket version ( I don't have the "flying" logo version). I have both RGS and green boiler. What does intrigue me is my 455 RGS has the snow plough fitted up front and the one you have there has the "switcher" pilot. Did they make both versions in the RGS livery ?

There are quite a few detail differences between the versions that Bachmann made of the K-27. Not just at the front but also most noticeably the cabs and roofs. They are not just "cut and paste" livery jobs. My green boiler has the habit of punching out its left side valve chest cover periodically. Ended up bonding it on I got so fed up checking all around the 3 foot after running it. Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have drooled over these locos long before Bachmann brought out their Fn3 models :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

but my bank manager says I can carry on drooling :D:D:D:D:D:D

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I have drooled over these locos long before Bachmann brought out their Fn3 models :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove: but my bank manager says I can carry on drooling :D:D:D:D:D:D

Yes, the Bachmann (other makes are available) K-27's are most wonderous and droolsome things. They are what convinced me to get into Fn3. Might I suggest you start compiling a register, by whatever means, of UK based Fn3 K-27's. Then, as their owners fall off their veritable perches (as indeed they eventually must) you go and try to prise them form their cold dead hands. Sorry, that was a bit dark but as they say "needs must" :devil: Max

Reactions: 1 users

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have drooled over these locos long before Bachmann brought out their Fn3 models :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

but my bank manager says I can carry on drooling :D:D:D:D:D:D
:rofl::rofl:Rhino,there are other banks:rofl::rofl:

Last edited: