Just joined ;-)

medley

Registered
29 Dec 2017
UK
Best answers
Hi, my name is Steve.
As a lad I was fortunate in that I had a train set. In fact I had a very large train set. I had lots of track, so when it was set up I always had a duel track setup. Great for having train races :)
Unfortunately, through various house moves my train set disappeared, either left behind some where or spirited away by parties unknown.
In April this year I purchased my first 3D printer and that was when a seed was planted about having another train set but one for the garden.
Nine months on and I now know, that my original printer is unsuitable for printing large items, which is why I have just ordered anoher printer with twice the printing area.
I will now have the tools to do the job so I can now seriously consider a 3D printed garden railway, as a real possibility.
Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about garden railways and on searching the internet for some information my searching brought me here.
Looking forward to trawling the forum and meeting the members out on the threads, as the saying goes ... The truth is out there :)
Steve

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Steve!

Plenty here for you to glean about our hobby....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Steve. I and others, whose names I shall not reveal, know nothing of 3-D printers. So we're even-Steven, pun intended. You've come to the right place. We know it all.....:confused: So ask away.

I must warn you though, we love pictures.....:h:.....So keep us in the loop on your progress.

medley

Registered
29 Dec 2017
UK
Best answers
Welcome aboard Steve. I and others, whose names I shall not reveal, know nothing of 3-D printers. So we're even-Steven, pun intended. You've come to the right place. We know it all.....:confused: So ask away.

I must warn you though, we love pictures.....:h:.....So keep us in the loop on your progress.
Might be a while before I have any worthwhile pictures but will do my best. Thanks for the welcome :)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Steve, hope you enjoy spending some time on here!

Lots of info to be had, ideas to inspire you and experiences (good and bad) to read about.... oh, and quite lot of general silliness as well..... :rofl:

Jon.

medley

Registered
29 Dec 2017
UK
Best answers
Welcome Steve, hope you enjoy spending some time on here!

Lots of info to be had, ideas to inspire you and experiences (good and bad) to read about.... oh, and quite lot of general silliness as well..... :rofl:

Jon.
Thanks.
Sounds just like home ;)

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Looking forward to trawling the forum ..................
Steve

But do you think that's wise, sir?

We don't know anything about garden railways either :devil::devil::devil:

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Steve, a few members on the forum have experience with 3D printing. I'm sure that they will be able to offer advise where needed.

medley

Registered
29 Dec 2017
UK
Best answers
But do you think that's wise, sir?

We don't know anything about garden railways either :devil::devil::devil:
Life's just one big learning curve, figured building my own garden railway is along a similar curve only steeper ;)

Last edited:

medley

Registered
29 Dec 2017
UK
Best answers
Welcome to the forum Steve, a few members on the forum have experience with 3D printing. I'm sure that they will be able to offer advise where needed.
Thanks.
Already found some interesting threads on 3D printing :)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the madness Steve..

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome. Where are you based? I keep hoping a new member will appear who is not too far from the edge of nowhere. It's getting lonely here on the east coast. A veritable G scale desert.

medley

Registered
29 Dec 2017
UK
Best answers
Welcome. Where are you based? I keep hoping a new member will appear who is not too far from the edge of nowhere. It's getting lonely here on the east coast. A veritable G scale desert.
Sadly, I am in the South West. No snow here just torrents of rain :(

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
same in Wales I'm afraid. Welcome :)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Life's just one big learning curve, figured building my own garden railway is along a similar curve only steeper ;)
Welcome Steve, loads of advice is available here, mostly very useful! One early piece though, steep curves on railways aren't usually a good idea!:giggle::giggle:

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Yes, seems to always be room for one more. Welcome...

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Curves..... they will tell you to use the flatest possible radius.
Steeper....... does not compute, garden trains don't like anything steep.

Welcome from the colonies.