Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

I joined some time ago but didn't have time to post! Anyway I've loved trains for years. Had Triang stuff as a lad but got back into model railways when I had twin boys. Started then with N gauge, then Hornby OO (Thomas etc. for the boys), Lego and finally G Scale. Slowly built up a G Gauge layout in a 5x3.5 metre metal shed and then took the step of cutting holes in it to let the trains into the garden. Built the garden layout using home made track (brass strip, wooden sleepers and the rails soldered to screw in the sleepers). Eventually gave up on this and slowly bought lots of new and second hand LGB track. Track, locomotives etc. acquired from eBay, GRS *UK) and Maryland Models here in Perth. All DCC using Lenz command stations, DCC Concepts point decoders and ethernet with JMRI and TouchCab. Recently bought a couple of Massoth Navigators and the Xpressnet RC device. Will post pictures soon.

Geoff

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Geoff, nice to see another Lenz and TouchCab user. I prefer Rocrail to JMRI (except for DecoderPro). Homemade track can be cheaper and look better but it's a PITA to maintain by all accounts.

I liked Perth when I visited on holiday a few years back (went down to Margaret River), but it seems to have been troubled by forest fires in the last few years, I hope you escaped the worst of those.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Geoff!

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Geoff....

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to group. I to started slowly with LGB track and trains, buying as I could afford it. Then added a live steamer or two to the mix and converted my LGB engines to onboard battery power. With G scale, many of the "rivet counting" and so forth goes out the window. If it looks good from 5 feet away in the garden, its good enough for most. To me its more about the enviroment and catching the "flavor" of a narrow gauge railway, even if the trains are not running and I am just looking at my station and village all lighted up at night with no trains in sight. I put myself on the platform waiting for a train that I know will come eventually. Nice way to relax after a long days work with a beverage in hand. Mike the Aspie

Reactions: 1 user

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Geoff, nice to see another Lenz and TouchCab user. I prefer Rocrail to JMRI (except for DecoderPro). Homemade track can be cheaper and look better but it's a PITA to maintain by all accounts.

I liked Perth when I visited on holiday a few years back (went down to Margaret River), but it seems to have been troubled by forest fires in the last few years, I hope you escaped the worst of those.

My homemade track was dire! Didn't use actual rail but just brass bar. Soldered to screws in wooden sleepers. Wrong solder - kept breaking. I'm trying out Rocrail at the moment - seems good.

Yes we get forest fires. Thankfully I'm far enough from the bush (in the hills above Perth). They had a really bad fire go through a place called Yarloop last year. This was the home of the best preserved railway workshop in Australia (I believe). It was just as if everyone had downed tools and left. There were plans, patterns, a couple of locos etc. Most destroyed in the fire.

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

Thanks for your welcomes. I've finally got around to sort out some photos of my layout. First a track plan:

Layout 8.jpg

This is from JMRI. The track in the red box is in the shed, the track in the rightmost blue box is on the patio, and the track in the middle blue box is on a plinth over the septic tanks! This has to be removable every five years or so! Photos to follow.

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Pictures. First most of the outside track including that over the septic tanks: (where the yellow/white rack engine is):

IMG_3156_3.JPG

Now down the side of garden showing the entrances to the shed:

IMG_3156_3.JPG

Finally a couple of views inside the shed. I've kept Lego, Tonka etc. my kids had and also have an OO layout.

IMG_3160_3.JPG

IMG_3161_3.JPG

Cheers,

Geoff

Attachments

• IMG_3159_3.JPG
    IMG_3159_3.JPG
    782.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 3 users

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Wow....

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the madness

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like you are already well and truly hooked on this particular harmless drug! :)

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Geoff.

Great track plan and loads of goodies in the shed !

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Now that's a serious shed...... :inlove:

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard, Geoff. I like your layout, both inside and out. What are the two tanks in the yard used for ? I hope your septic system is performing it's duties for you satisfactorily. I'm glad we were able to hook up to public sewers when the were installed in the mid '80s. I see your shed is not insulated, so I take it you're in a warm part of OZ.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That's a proper shed:envy::giggle:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
That's a proper shed:envy::giggle:
"No dear they are not toys. No dear they are not for the bin. No dear I won't sell them. No dear, don't touch. Any more, dear, and I will go into your kitchen"

Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
"No dear they are not toys. No dear they are not for the bin. No dear I won't sell them. No dear, don't touch. Any more, dear, and I will go into your kitchen"
No deer? How does Santa deliver pressies to your house?:giggle:

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard, Geoff. I like your layout, both inside and out. What are the two tanks in the yard used for ? I hope your septic system is performing it's duties for you satisfactorily. I'm glad we were able to hook up to public sewers when the were installed in the mid '80s. I see your shed is not insulated, so I take it you're in a warm part of OZ.

Thanks for comments. I was lucky in that the raised height in the shed for the track matches up quite well with the height of the garden and, with a slight grade, allows me to connect to the patio! Haven't done it yet, but could get beer delivered from the house to the shed easily by train! Perth, Western Australia is very dry in the summer. The two tanks capture water off of the roof for watering the garden. Can't connect to a sewer yet although the house next door is connected. The outside temperature in summer can reach 45 degrees and rarely goes low in the winter. It never snows here but we do get the occasional frost. As long as you don't run trains in the middle of the day, it is quite comfortable.

Geoff

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Oops, I posted the wrong picture down the side of the garden. Here it is:

IMG_3159_3.JPG