Issues with Airwire G4

Trainman2

Registered
23 Sep 2020
St Louis
Best answers
Country flag
I installed a G4 board last week and the train ran fine for about an hour. I then installed a tsunami soundtraxx and again the train ran fine for about an hour. The following night, after about an hour, the train stopped dead.
Now the green led still comes on, but the chirp is distorted and the red light stays dark. Tried all the resets. I'm sending it back to Airwire, but I am curious as to whether anybody else has had this kind of problem. The board was brand new in January and I just installed it last week.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Now the green led still comes on, but the chirp is distorted and the red light stays dark.

Now, not being familiar with Airwire:

Does the above sentence mean the Airwire unit makes a noise as it starts-up?
OR
Do you mean a 'chip' is distorted (fried) on the circuit board?

Just trying to understand..
PhilP.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I use AirWire but have only ever used the Convrtr boards. I’ve had no problems. However, I suggest you shoot them and email as they are very fast at replying and I’ve found them to be helpful. Did you get the board from CVP direct or a supplier?

- PhilP - when programming the AirWire stuff the board makes a ‘chirp’ noise to confirm what you’ve done (it says in the book of instuctions!).

Trainman2

Registered
23 Sep 2020
St Louis
Best answers
Country flag
A double check, have you read the battery voltage WHILE the system was on and trying to link?
I use rectified and filtered track power, and I have been using the same means to power my three steam engines, all of which have G3 boards.
The G3 also had the beeper, but the components are slightly different, and the positive and negative terminals are reversed from the G3. The steam engines are all fine.