IP Engineering Railbus

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
My latest project is going to be building an IP Engineering Railbus. The kit has arrived, and is powered by 2 X AAA batteries, but I am considering sound and R/C, so my first task will be to buy a bigger (volts wise) motor i.e. 6 - 12 volts, and see what I can fit in. I will keep you up to date on the build:

IPE-Railbus-Kit-of-Parts.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy,
Worth an email to Ivan, he may be able to swap the motor for you?

If not, you should be able to get a suitable motor in the same size 'can'.

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Another idea...

Have you seen the Mostyn Seven?

Might be worth contacting 3D Wayne, and asking if he could print you a pair of lights?

PhilP

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ooo, Good choice Jimmy. I will be following your build with interest. I was browsing the IP Engineering site last night and drooled over the railbus for a bit. It's a nice looking little kit!

I had also wondered about the station platform kits but wasn't sure how well they'd weather if permanently installed outside, even if varnished (which in itself may also leave them looking peculiarly shiny...)

Another motor option may be a little Apple Tree Railway gearbox?

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
They look nice, now to sneak some lights into them. The problem with LEDs in this situation is they do not emit light in 360 degrees.

the 2 orange topped enclosures will be tough... the "headlamp" type ones can get a little surface mount LEDs and work nicely. Here in the US there are plenty of places that have the surface mount LEDs with wires already soldered to them.

these are small enough that you could possible glue 2 of them back to back and get into your "orange beacon" housings...

Greg

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
They look nice, now to sneak some lights into them. The problem with LEDs in this situation is they do not emit light in 360 degrees.

the 2 orange topped enclosures will be tough... the "headlamp" type ones can get a little surface mount LEDs and work nicely. Here in the US there are plenty of places that have the surface mount LEDs with wires already soldered to them.

these are small enough that you could possible glue 2 of them back to back and get into your "orange beacon" housings...

Greg
Greg, many thanks didn't realize such things were available, found similar in the UK, a definite possibility :)

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, many thanks didn't realize such things were available, found similar in the UK, a definite possibility :)

The SMT LEDs arrived and they are verrrry small, so hopefully should fit when I get time.

Also on the motor front I bought a 6 - 12 volt "Chinese" motor, but wasn't confident about its actual power input, so I have bought a MFA Como 12 - 24 volt motor, real slow running at 2.4 volts, nice at 4.8 volts 2 X and 4 X NiMH batteries), so I am hopeful at 7.2 volts (Li-Ion 2S), though I could go to a 10.8 volt S3.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The SMT LEDs arrived and they are verrrry small, so hopefully should fit when I get time.

Also on the motor front I bought a 6 - 12 volt "Chinese" motor, but wasn't confident about its actual power input, so I have bought a MFA Como 12 - 24 volt motor, real slow running at 2.4 volts, nice at 4.8 volts 2 X and 4 X NiMH batteries), so I am hopeful at 7.2 volts (Li-Ion 2S), though I could go to a 10.8 volt S3.
I run my VW drasine on a Tamiya 3-6v motor using a 4.8v battery pack complete with headlights and flashing roof lights

DSCF0969.JPG

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Jimmy, how small a hole will they fit through?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That looks like an 0603 LED.. - they are 1.6 x 0.8mm rectangles, 0.55mm thick.

Depending on the wire-used, and how big a 'blob' of solder is on it... It will probably fit through a 1.5mm hole. :nerd:

PhilP.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
When I was doing my apprenticeship, we were drilling 1/4" clearance holes for M6 bolts in 1/4" plates, 6.35mm from the ends! (Within a Gnat's C*ck tolerance of course )

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Plus let us not forget that we tend to model in so many millimetres to the food. EDIT foot!

Last edited: