Interrail suspended train system for G Scale 30'x10'

jcvalentine

Registered
25 Jan 2023
Pittsburgh
Best answers
Country flag
Looking for Interrail suspended train system covering a rectangle 30 feet by 10 feet. Please advise if you know anyone selling this discontinued product.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Looking for Interrail suspended train system covering a rectangle 30 feet by 10 feet. Please advise if you know anyone selling this discontinued product.
Your query intrigued me so I had a wee search of the interweb and found these, not exactly the same but similar systems

Showed my wife who said noooo with a load voice, so I'm guessing were not going to have one in the house :giggle: :rofl: :frowning:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have to confess that I have never understood the concept of suspending track from the ceiling, it appears to be a predominately US idea. I accept that in the real world there are elevated railways but these are a necessity to provide transport for the masses in a crowded environment. I have never understood spending a lot of money on a model railway only to suspend it at an unnatural height where you cannot see it properly and appreciate the detail.

David

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have to confess that I have never understood the concept of suspending track from the ceiling, it appears to be a predominately US idea. I accept that in the real world there are elevated railways but these are a necessity to provide transport for the masses in a crowded environment. I have never understood spending a lot of money on a model railway only to suspend it at an unnatural height where you cannot see it properly and appreciate the detail.

David
Maybe Americans are of above average height.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose they are used to viewing from that sort of angle?
Think of all the inter urban, running above street-level..

PhilP

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

David
Maybe they are used as a means to connect rooms and possibly connect different levels in the home with one of these.

0165bcdbad131b2a1e3f830badb33c6c.jpg

jcvalentine

Registered
25 Jan 2023
Pittsburgh
Best answers
Country flag
Your query intrigued me so I had a wee search of the interweb and found these, not exactly the same but similar systems

Showed my wife who said noooo with a load voice, so I'm guessing were not going to have one in the house :giggle: :rofl: :frowning:
I think our wives to two timing us. I've seen these systems and they just won't work in my finished basement. The interrail is most discrete. My local hobby shop actually has the moulds purchased from the inventor but the tooling for the metal support is too expensive. My best bet is to find someone who is getting rid of system. Old timer maybe or a train convention. Not sure why these other systems are so bulky but oh well. I guess not much demand. I waited 1 year too long to order when inventor closed up shop. May give up one day and try these out or make something myself. Thanks for detailed response! JV

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, on average, the average "american" is 1" taller than a male from the UK now that you mention it.

This elevated railways are often used in restaurants and hobby shops and other shops. They then do not take costly floor space.

There are also people who want a train indoors but again are not allowed to use floor space.

Finally there are people who do the proper job of an indoor railway, but they are not married. ;-)

jcvalentine

Registered
25 Jan 2023
Pittsburgh
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, on average, the average "american" is 1" taller than a male from the UK now that you mention it.

This elevated railways are often used in restaurants and hobby shops and other shops. They then do not take costly floor space.

There are also people who want a train indoors but again are not allowed to use floor space.

Finally there are people who do the proper job of an indoor railway, but they are not married. ;-)
Thanks, I've got 9' basement ceilings and yes I've only seen in restaurants but 20 years ago. And yes the wife is not a fan but....

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sat thinking, I could have one running round my kitchen above the cupboards. Funny what you notice then, whoever but the cupboards in did not put them all at he same height, from the top of the cupboard to the ceiling varies by 2 inches in the different banks of cupboards ... but no Wife to object to my silly ideas now :)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sat thinking, I could have one running round my kitchen above the cupboards. Funny what you notice then, whoever but the cupboards in did not put them all at he same height, from the top of the cupboard to the ceiling varies by 2 inches in the different banks of cupboards ... but no Wife to object to my silly ideas now :)
High level in a kitchen..
Not a good idea, think of the grease etc. that would collect on the track and wheels..
:worried:

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If it could be more 'industrial' looking, have you considered Unistrut, threaded-rod, and t-nuts?

The sort of thing Electricians use to suspend cable-tray..
:nerd:

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
unistrut would be butt-ugly for sure.... yes if you cook greasy food all the time, grease on rails, but restaurants usually have more issues with continuous running.. oxidation...

stainless steel rail has become more affordable, since the price of copper has risen faster than SS...

go for it!

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I cannae repeat what my wife said to the idea of trams running in the house outside of my wee room, she was quite unlady like with her reply :D

jcvalentine

Registered
25 Jan 2023
Pittsburgh
Best answers
Country flag
Interrail was tastefully done. But still not good for the kitchen unless the wife left you already

Attachments

• 20230126_121120.jpg
    20230126_121120.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230126_120756_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230126_120756_Google.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe Americans are of above average height.
Dutch are the tallest.
.that is cus of evolution.... Before they had dykes they used to walk on their tippy toes to gasp for air. .....evolution

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Not according to the US 'World Population review' for 2023. Average US male is 1 cm shorter and the average US female is 0.5 cm shorter.

I remember reading something last year about research in the US into why this is. Not sure they had a definitive answer at the time.

Paul

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe so. I read something interesting last week. The average Canadian lives 5 years longer than the average American. Cool eh. I think that it might be because of being exposed to pollution? I have no idea but if this is so I will be 5 years less. Sarnia is very polluted. I think an elevated rail would be aw some if it went through a basement window and into the garden. I have even thought of it for myself. As of yesterday know how to do it using my style of horizontal sliding window.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Dutch are the tallest.
.that is cus of evolution.... Before they had dykes they used to walk on their tippy toes to gasp for air. .....evolution. This is a joke that I thought of.

Last edited: