Incredible ‘small’ tram layout

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Ran into these pictures on FB a while ago. They are just simply amazing... What a layout... This is so inspiring for my new layout! I just had to share these here. I think they’re from a German Magazine or book, I’m not sure. The poster on FB was not very informative about the source.
FFC6813E-2B7F-4EB5-B07A-2179119436AB.jpeg
4DDCAFD0-B4E6-43B4-B845-77F4FD8423BF.jpeg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
How appropriate!
Look's like a Tram version of a 'rabbit-Warren' layout?

Though I would be wary of multiple tunnels, in the garden?

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
No, sans the tunnels. The street/rail combination is just so nice... I just might build myself such an area in my new layout. End of line..? Might want to study concrete and how it holds up in freezing temperatures...

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
No, sans the tunnels. The street/rail combination is just so nice... I just might build myself such an area in my new layout. End of line..? Might want to study concrete and how it holds up in freezing temperatures...
For any tunnels in the garden my personal suggestion would be to lay the track and then place bricks either side to a height above your wire height and then lay concrete slabs on top, then you could put any soil on top of that for planting.
That's how I would do it anyhow.

David

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I agree it is an amazing layout in that space, about 4m x 3m. I think if you did build that layout exactly the gradients would be quite challenging, about 1:12 I estimate.
PS nice to hear from you again Henri.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I agree it is an amazing layout in that space, about 4m x 3m. I think if you did build that layout exactly the gradients would be quite challenging, about 1:12 I estimate.
PS nice to hear from you again Henri.
The gradients are obviously not so much of an issue where trams are concerned - as in the 1:1 world - because there is much less load involved.

The gradients on some of the London tram tunnels far exceeded railway gradients :nod: :nod:

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
The gradients are obviously not so much of an issue where trams are concerned - as in the 1:1 world - because there is much less load involved.

The gradients on some of the London tram tunnels far exceeded railway gradients :nod: :nod:
In Montreal, they ran trams on slopes that were steep even for cars. I believe it got a bit dodgy on winter ice.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
There was an large "coffee table" hardback LGB book put out years ago. I think that is where this story and layout are featured. Really cool layout. Be fun to recreate it but in materials that can tollerate being outdoors. Maybe with live steam operation using Regner trams with an LGB one on batteries for back up power

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I presume you mean to creat a tram rail effect. Did it many years ago with a short section on my old line in Luton. Had to do a job for the neighbour some 10 or more years after I had put the track down in the concrete and In spite of many changes in my old garden that bit of concreted in Track was still present as good as the day it had been laid. What I had done was to lay the track on a base of concrete and do the tram track effect at the same time with the same batch of concrete thus the complete lot was a good solid lot probably 2-3 inches deep.

Steve Manners

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Hull
Best answers
Country flag
Ran into these pictures on FB a while ago. They are just simply amazing... What a layout... This is so inspiring for my new layout! I just had to share these here. I think they’re from a German Magazine or book, I’m not sure. The poster on FB was not very informative about the source.
View attachment 283776
View attachment 283777
I have been looking at tram vids on Youtube, and whatever scale they are in, the building detail usually seems to a very high standard. The buildings aren't just added on to fill in gaps they are a major feature, unlike some rail layouts with "token" buildings. Both approaches are fine, and it all depends on personal preference what buildings and how many you have, but I do like the atmosphere the tram layouts create, almost as good as a trip to Crich!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Nice
very interesting indeed!
i think thats on of the nicest smallish footprint layouts ive seen. ( i could see it also as a mining type layout, but in a tiny town.
As is, great for lots of urban detailing, too.

i see that there are some things out of proportion, the corrugated pola halt, shortened, the sidings, looks like a lot of custom work may be required re trackage
looking at the eliptical curves...im thinking these may be problematic to execute

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
To me it looks like an artist rendering. For example, the bottom left tram... boogies? It looks excellent though.!!!
If you look carefully at that bogie tram it is a cut and paste of possibly 2 LGB Trams which would make a slightly longer one thus having bogies would make an interesting variation.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
This layout keeps popping up in my mind when thinking about my new layout. Not the tunnels, I’d do it all in one level.
Just a part of this layout. A return loop which cross tracks going into an engine shed.

C6B23BEA-EEBF-4A36-A329-344E5B875CE9.jpeg

This part. The point work, the crossing, all embedded in concrete. Wow…
I’d only have room for this when the return loop is done in R1. Not all my (future) stock will be able to use it. Somehow an end to end service should be incorporated here. Or I could lengthen the top (north side) of the reverse loop going further down south east and have a proper terminus there.

Ohhh the options. The anticipation is almost as much fun as the building and operation of it!