I Got a "New" Train Yesterday!

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi guys! I just received a Bachmann Golden Classics Limited Edition South Pacific Coast train set that I bought on Ebay. In spite of a few cosmetic imperfections(someone added their idea of a paint scheme to the cars and back of the locomotive cab), and a cracked main gear( which ,so far, doesn't seem to effect the running ability of the locomotive), it is in pretty decent condition considering that it was built sometime between 1994 to 1998. Check out my video here:
And here's the stationary steam sound:
I've only run it back and forth with the tender attached on my desktop so far, but I've determined that it still runs well, in spite of the cracked gear,and that the sound works. And ,yes, it does make the steam sound when it's sitting still!
Also, for those who may be wondering or interested, this has the Bachmann Version 3 chassis. It has a smooth bottom plate, brush-style contacts, the wheels can not be moved by hand, and no gear box, so replacing the cracked gear is out of the question, I do plan on purchasing an Anniversary chassis for this locomotive shortly...
Later,

Reactions: 1 user

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Always a great day when a new loco arrives

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
And it just got better yesterday when the replacement chassis arrived directly from Bachmann Trains! They had a 25% off sale on all new parts. The Anniversary chassis have been selling for $45.00 for a while now, and since they don't have parts sales very often(and not to mention how expensive Ebay sellers are for these),I decided to go for it. Here's the video:
It's a good thing that I got this before I ran this loco on its' original version 3 chassis. The gear went totally out on the old chassis after less than 15 minutes of running time . And that was after I removed it from my loco and was testing it for getting it ready to offer on Ebay for parts! Oh well, maybe someone will want it for parts/restoration. We'll see.
Later!
Andrew

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I wish it was as economical to purchase (or get delivered) those chassis over here. It would save me a lot of work and frustration!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I wish it was as economical to purchase (or get delivered) those chassis over here. It would save me a lot of work and frustration!

As I found out a few years back, those great deals that you see on the Bachmann site don't apply outside the USA. I remember a few years back that Aristocraft were offering a FREE box of track if you bought three, maybe four others. Then I was looking for six boxes, and had to pay the full UK list price - twice the US price.....grrrrr.

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep took advantage of that sale each year, totaled up about 1,000 feet of track still have several boxes of 5' straights and handful of switches in stainless... smartest thing this track power guy ever did... of course at the time I was told that DCC was impossible outdoors.... hmmm...

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
As I found out a few years back, those great deals that you see on the Bachmann site don't apply outside the USA. I remember a few years back that Aristocraft were offering a FREE box of track if you bought three, maybe four others. Then I was looking for six boxes, and had to pay the full UK list price - twice the US price.....grrrrr.

Tac, the Bachmann discount still applies to overseas orders. It's the added expense of OS shipping that makes less of a deal but that is always the case. A few years back I bought six Annie chassis with other parts to help reduce the individual shipping cost and make it more worthwhile. Bachmann's shipping rates are much the same as USPS rates. Aristocraft's OS shipping was excessive and I think their track discounts did not apply to OS orders anyway.