I finally got it built

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
After making an abortive start 9 years ago, just got the bare unpainted body and chassis built, I have finally got this Ochrre Madrid tram kit finished after a few days dedicated work. Take out the faffing and cogitating I reckon there it about 50-60 hours work involved. Would I do it all again ? No. Max1494414996597378126107.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
An excellent model. I always wondered how good a model could be made from these kits. I understand the need to put a project away for a few years before revisiting with a renewed vigour.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Oh these kits are high on the wanna try list!

Please tell us, why wouldn't you do it again? The tram you build looks fabulous!
I'ts a very good kit. All the laser cut stuff fits perfectly, the instructions are clear and comprehensive and there is plenty of spare wood if you mess up.......it's just that it takes so much work to complete and is really not for a beginner ( I had limbered up on a number of IP kits ad a Hartford caboose. Hence the 9 year delay ;)) If I have a gripe it is that the castings are a little crude and he rolled up wire you can throw away to sub with some decent straight stuff. That and there is a little too much reliance on having to fabricate things out of wood. But then so did the original :)

The end result though is worth it to look at. Oh, and there is a USAT motor block inside it so it's not just a static. Max.

Reactions: 1 user

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
That looks brilliant well worth the time and effort

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
A nice result.

Your experience reminds me of my one and only attempt to build a wooden kit of a sailing ship. I managed eventually to fabricate the hull and the masts but stalled when it came to the rigging. That was 20 years ago and the rigging has yet to be attempted and probably never will be.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A nice result.

Your experience reminds me of my one and only attempt to build a wooden kit of a sailing ship. I managed eventually to fabricate the hull and the masts but stalled when it came to the rigging. That was 20 years ago and the rigging has yet to be attempted and probably never will be.
That happened to me! I started a wooden ship,but left it at the rigging stage for about 16 years. When I finally got round to finishing it, I found the rigging the best part! Nice and relaxing. Don't give up on it after all the work you've done.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes the Ocra's are great kits, but well, they are a very long project. I have had a London Tram on the bench for getting on 3 years now. My problem is I am converting it to a Bogie Trailer for my Bury Steam Tram. Lots of mods to do, the Bogie was the easy bit. The upstairs will involve lots of new fabrication for the sides and roof. But before that I need to get the Stair Sides sorted a real pain in the butt. I have seen a different set of stairs in a book and may modify after building the individual stairs.

These kits are a Big job, but as Max says the end results are great.
JonD

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yippee.....:clap:.....I too, have found that walking away from something for awhile results in a better finished product.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, putting it aside was for the better while I got my skill levels up to some sort of standard. I am pleasently pleased with the results (after the pride comes the fall). Now I had better get out and run it. Next delayed project onto the bench.........Rio Grande models Pergosa caboose conversion of AMS combine.

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
Well, I too thought that the Madrid tram looked just right! I'm not so sure about all the Occre trams being in 1:24 scale, but at least they run on 45mm gauge track, as 3'6" gauge prototype. Pity that they haven't made some bogie tram kits though.