I dentification please

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I have opened my box of ticks looking to see what decoders i have but the numbers dont seem to be for massoth which i was expecting they may be old LGB ones?DSCF1558.JPG

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
I am almost certain that this a LGB 55027 decoder and I believe last made in about 2007. Here are some basic details:

The new MTS Locomotive Decoder III is designed for using your locomotive in digital operation (NMRA DCC) as well as in analog operation. It can power up to two LGB motors. It can be installed in all LGB locomotives and powered rail cars equipped with one or two motors. This decoder has two lighting and six function outputs, overload/overheating protection, programmable special functions, and a connecting cable for the new LGB DCC connector. Technical data: Maximum load: 4 amps / Maximum load for motor outputs: 3 amps. Overview of functions: Locomotive addresses 1-10239 can be programmed / 14 or 28 speed levels, 128 speed levels are supported / Analog and digital load compensation can be adapted to different types of locomotives / Serial and parallel control of all lighting and function outputs / Programmable flashing lights and short-term functions / Programmable simulated wheel sensor function These functions and others can be programmed using the Universal Remote Controller (LGB 55015) or the MTS PC Decoder Programming Module (LGB 55045).

Hope this helps

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed it is eB 55027, the orange plug goes into the board on the loco. The loco needs to have the DCC Interface slot on its internal board.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I am almost certain that this a LGB 55027 decoder and I believe last made in about 2007. Here are some basic details:

The new MTS Locomotive Decoder III is designed for using your locomotive in digital operation (NMRA DCC) as well as in analog operation. It can power up to two LGB motors. It can be installed in all LGB locomotives and powered rail cars equipped with one or two motors. This decoder has two lighting and six function outputs, overload/overheating protection, programmable special functions, and a connecting cable for the new LGB DCC connector. Technical data: Maximum load: 4 amps / Maximum load for motor outputs: 3 amps. Overview of functions: Locomotive addresses 1-10239 can be programmed / 14 or 28 speed levels, 128 speed levels are supported / Analog and digital load compensation can be adapted to different types of locomotives / Serial and parallel control of all lighting and function outputs / Programmable flashing lights and short-term functions / Programmable simulated wheel sensor function These functions and others can be programmed using the Universal Remote Controller (LGB 55015) or the MTS PC Decoder Programming Module (LGB 55045).

Hope this helps
woww thanks for the comprehensive and quick reply sounds almost too good to put into a Stainz i will open the loco up and see what interface is built into it.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
DSCF1561.JPGI have a few more in my box there is this one which may be older and LGB as well

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
DSCF1557.JPGand this one i also have 2 decoders that may be function ones.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
This is a very old LGB55020. To be honest not worth keeping as it has very limited capabilities. Replaced by the LGB 55021 and subsequently the Massoth L
If its not worth doing much will i will see what 2nd decoder i have in my track cleaning loco to controll the TC wheels it may be worth swaping them if the one in the loco is better i will see but thanks. ( i seem to forget more each day as i ge tolder lol )

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 302339I have a few more in my box there is this one which may be older and LGB as well
While I cannot disagree with M that this is an old decoder with limited facilities, it will be more than adequate for a Stainz and likely if a Decider ready one will fit straight in using the prongs. Just don't forget to set the dip switches to off. Oh and good luck getting into the stainz, the decoder fits in the boiler and they can be a bit of a faff to pull apart.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
While I cannot disagree with M that this is an old decoder with limited facilities, it will be more than adequate for a Stainz and likely if a Decider ready one will fit straight in using the prongs. Just don't forget to set the dip switches to off. Oh and good luck getting into the stainz, the decoder fits in the boiler and they can be a bit of a faff to pull apart.
Thanks for the good look, I wil let you know ptogress.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Jon,
It looks like the LGB55020 is an early version (V1) and from my recollection it is limited to 14 speed steps, later versions could be programmed for 28 steps. This may or may not be a factor depending on the Central Station FrenchChuffed is using. I agree that fitting the decoder in a Stainz can be fun. Always much easier when you know how. I think Austria NG managed it down to a few minutes bearing in mind the number of Stainz locos that he has.
Martin

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Both the 55020 and 55021 are limited to 1 function control and is usually smoke. No 55020 will do 128 speed steps. Some (later versions) of the 55021 will do 128 steps. Also no bemf on 55020.