Hyde-out mountain steam sound

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bill, my guess is that nobody over on this side of the Great Water has any experience with Jerry Hyde's electronics. I only know him from his earlier ventures into the conversion of a Marklin Maxi F7 into a REAL diesel locomotive - VERY noisy and smelly, but indisputably diesel electric like the real thing. Also great fun, if a tad pricey. I recall he got really tired of all the complex and difficult handiwork needed to get the show on the road, and after an attempt to maintain modellers' interest by selling the do-it-yourself version, he sold them off cheaply. A sad ending to a real modelling venture. This little movie show his Class 66 loco - another venture that might have gone down well here in UK and Europe, had it not been for the demise of Aristocraft.

As a dealer in Gauge 1, he then proposed a live-steam Gauge 1 Canadian Pacific Royal Hudson - Aster showed immense lack of interest, but brilliant model engineer Dick Abbot and David Morgan-Kirby [www.gaugeonelines.ca] in Ontario took it up, made it happen and Accucraft went on to sell a goodly number of them. In fact, one of them went to me. Jerry Hyde is aheating engineer by primary trade, and might be well-versed in electronics, but his train-related electronics are new to me.

Can't help ya, sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Only experience of similar items from here in the UK..

A 'simple' unit. - No chuff sync. Bell and Whistle from track-magnets or triggered from RC system. Smaller than UK offerings.

If I could get one for the price (without the international shipping, and inevitable 'hit' on import) I think I would give it a go? :think:

I do have a box of 'not very good' sound cards, though! :(:rolleyes:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP - I don't think that this item is expensive enough to attract importation duties - I have been wrong before, to my cost, but I don't think that the country will go any further down the pan due to the lack of income derived from thirty-five quid.

Remember that over here in UK we have our own version of this module from Loco-sounds. If the unlikely event that it goes tits-up the company is a phone-call away...

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Remember that over here in UK we have our own version of this module from Loco-sounds.

Not aware of the company? - Do you know if they have a website?? Nothing obvious in Google.
Thanks, PhilP.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, so nothing like a generic 'white noise' card then..

As to Jerry Hyde:
Links to his escapades you mentioned, but nothing recent, other than people wondering if this card is 'any good'..

To which the answer to anyone who has MLS or decoder sound experience, is 'no', very probably? :think:

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Bill, my guess is that nobody over on this side of the Great Water has any experience with Jerry Hyde's electronics. I only know him from his earlier ventures into the conversion of a Marklin Maxi F7 into a REAL diesel locomotive - VERY noisy and smelly, but indisputably diesel electric like the real thing. Also great fun, if a tad pricey. I recall he got really tired of all the complex and difficult handiwork needed to get the show on the road, and after an attempt to maintain modellers' interest by selling the do-it-yourself version, he sold them off cheaply. A sad ending to a real modelling venture. This little movie show his Class 66 loco - another venture that might have gone down well here in UK and Europe, had it not been for the demise of Aristocraft.

As a dealer in Gauge 1, he then proposed a live-steam Gauge 1 Canadian Pacific Royal Hudson - Aster showed immense lack of interest, but brilliant model engineer Dick Abbot and David Morgan-Kirby [www.gaugeonelines.ca] in Ontario took it up, made it happen and Accucraft went on to sell a goodly number of them. In fact, one of them went to me. Jerry Hyde is aheating engineer by primary trade, and might be well-versed in electronics, but his train-related electronics are new to me.

Can't help ya, sorry.
Well if nothing else I have received a very good history lesson, thanks so much. Here is one for you from this side of the pond, Phil Jensen still works at Kalamazoo/Hartland Locomotive works and is a great person to correspond with, www.npcrr.com/Articles/PhilJensenStory/ThePhilJensenStory.pdf, thanks again for the input, Bill

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that history, Bill!!!! I'll be looking at my old HLW gas-electric car with a lot more respect now!!! What a story that was, all done without the millions of dollars behind the founder that Lehmann, with their long historic toy-making background, could draw on without even noticing.