HSB goes indoors

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Having cleared the tools off the layout, here is a view of the end I’ve been working on. Long way to go yet.

9D17081E-9D9E-4FB2-80F6-95E9A9548E15.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more progress, but two steps forward and one step back.

If I decide to exhibit the layout, the height of the baseboards needs to be small so they can be stacked in my vehicle. Therefore I planned to make buildings, people etc removable. My plan was to glue a wire rod to each item and fix a bit of tube in the scenery. So the various items could be put in place and removed as necessary.

7EB160BF-9494-4381-83FE-FFA874BC5723.jpeg

My first attempt was a pair of platform seats. The first one worked fine, the second one was a failure. Gluing the wire onto the seats was simple (but would be far better if I simply drilled a hole in the leg). I drilled a hole in the platform, put a drop of glue in the hole, then inserted the brass tube. Unfortunatly some of the glue got drawn up the brass tube and set inside it so the rod would not go in. I then tried drilling out the tube, but the drill broke in it.

I’m now wonderng if I really need to make many of the items removable.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Probably not, for something a 'low' as a bench?? :think:

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks PhilP, you are right. While it would have been helpful to make most things removable, its not worth the amount of extra work just to save a few inches in height for the odd occasion I take the layout out. I'll just make the buildings and delicate lamp posts removable.

I find being able to see advice and opinions from others a great benefit of gscalecentral.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more progress, but two steps forward and one step back.

If I decide to exhibit the layout, the height of the baseboards needs to be small so they can be stacked in my vehicle. Therefore I planned to make buildings, people etc removable. My plan was to glue a wire rod to each item and fix a bit of tube in the scenery. So the various items could be put in place and removed as necessary.

View attachment 242343

My first attempt was a pair of platform seats. The first one worked fine, the second one was a failure. Gluing the wire onto the seats was simple (but would be far better if I simply drilled a hole in the leg). I drilled a hole in the platform, put a drop of glue in the hole, then inserted the brass tube. Unfortunatly some of the glue got drawn up the brass tube and set inside it so the rod would not go in. I then tried drilling out the tube, but the drill broke in it.

No the way to do it is to glue a nail into the item pointy bit down having removed the head first. Then you have a point to make a mark for drilling on the layout. Having drilled the hole on the layout after a test fit you can remove the pointy bit from the nail (for safety) just leaving a stub for fitting.

I had an exhibition layout a long time back and it makes so much more sense to remove buildings and add ons if you can. Saves damage but as you said at the start also helps with space when moving about.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks Dunnyrail - I had been struggling to know where to mark the holes and that solves it brilliantly.

I’ve been giving a lot of thought today about what needs to be removable. Let me explain. The LGB layout has 8 baseboards, while the most I have had before is three. When exhibiting I really want to avoid the cost of hiring a van, so I’m hoping the LGB will fit in my Transit campervan. Of the 8 baseboards, four are of identical size, the other 4 are two matching pairs. To transport them the sensible options seem to be to bolt pairs of boards together face to face or to have some kind of rack, probably two boards side by side, with three above each. The smaller the overall vertical height the geater chance of getting them in my campervan or car. For example, if the boards are all 8 inches high, a stack of four is 32inches high, if the height is just 4 inches, then the total height of four is just 16 inches, which would go in easily. So its a case of balancing the number of bits to be removed with ease of fitting in the van.

There is a complication later on though. The frames in my railway room have been built to hold two layouts of identical size (identical baseboard size too). So when the LGB is finished, I’ll move it to the lower level on the railway room frames and then start on a replacement 00 layout; that will almost certainly need boards 8 inches high.

So for now I’ll be delighted to recieve any more advice and suggestions, but I will probably not fix anything in place that might need to be removable later.

There is a third transport option too, buy a small waterproof trailer!

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
There is a third transport option too, buy a small waterproof trailer!

I was under the impression there was an undisputed law, that stated:
"The words 'trailer' and 'waterproof' are mutually exclusive, when used in the same sentence."
:think::nerd::nod::nod:

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
I’m now working on the opposite end to the station. It has three sidings in different places, although I hadn’t fully decided what each one would be for.. In one corner I decided to have a loading bank where a narrow gauge industrial line ended on a loading bank so tippers could be emptied into my hopper waggons. I made the shell of the loading bank from foamboard (ignore the holes in the side), but it looked too big and out of proportion with the rest of the layout.

2919773A-6C84-417F-B567-95F82AD80B70.jpeg

While I was at Arcadia Models at Shaw I noticed a coaling stage kit which I purchased as it would be good for the loco stabling area. More by good luck, it actually fitted in the loading bank space, so that track is now the loco spur. I actually cut the sides out of the part built loading dock to build up the coal stacking areas. Its not finished yet but looks OK to me.

BA796DFB-74B5-4260-98E2-E412F0BC267F.jpeg

While doing a DIY job in the house I found some wooden dowels used in assembling flat pack furniture. I had a brain wave I thought these would be good for making buildings removable.

1B0AC307-B953-42AC-91D3-B13FE5F237A4.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’m now working on the opposite end to the station. It has three sidings in different places, although I hadn’t fully decided what each one would be for.. In one corner I decided to have a loading bank where a narrow gauge industrial line ended on a loading bank so tippers could be emptied into my hopper waggons. I made the shell of the loading bank from foamboard (ignore the holes in the side), but it looked too big and out of proportion with the rest of the layout.

View attachment 242642

While I was at Arcadia Models at Shaw I noticed a coaling stage kit which I purchased as it would be good for the loco stabling area. More by good luck, it actually fitted in the loading bank space, so that track is now the loco spur. I actually cut the sides out of the part built loading dock to build up the coal stacking areas. Its not finished yet but looks OK to me.

View attachment 242641

While doing a DIY job in the house I found some wooden dowels used in assembling flat pack furniture. I had a brain wave I thought these would be good for making buildings removable.

View attachment 242643
Good outbof the box thinking for removable scenic items. You can still use my Pin method to mark where they will go, but perhaps you have done that with this one?

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Drilled straight through the base of the coaling stage into the baseboard, but using your pin method for the smaller items.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
On my Harz layout everything bar the track, grass and platforms removable as it also served as a British layout.
I used something like 2mm brass rod as pins in the bottom of everything but took photos of each board as I found the holes for figures were hard to find! ;)
Lamp posts, signs, trees etc all boxed up and the boards slid into two storage boxes so it was easy to transport in a van and the two boxes were used to support it when setup too.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Paul. I hadn’t thought of having an alternative scenario for the layout! An idea for the future.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Another unplanned purchase during my last trip to Arcadia Models was a kit for a bike shelter. It should look nice next to the small station. In the box there were parts to make two bike racks and seven bikes, all quite fiddly. I’ve now made them all and painted the bikes and the older style rack. I don’t need the modern style rack so I’ve not painted it as I’m not sure what to do with it, perhaps use the roof if I need another small building. Here they are.

439CA516-E226-4224-9D37-AB72F443A5AE.jpeg

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
I’m still struggling to get a matt finish on my coaling stage, indeed after two coats of matt varnish it still looks far too glossy.

Meanwhile I’ve started on the next building. It is some sort of railway workshop in low relief. I had planned to scratchbuild it, but I picked up a Piko brewery building kit (not the actual brewery) which looked like it would fit the space and be far quicker to build. By using the parts to make a low relief building it fits perfectly. Here it is so far...

632FD74C-2827-4F74-84BF-B92E33182D74.jpeg

Its 36” long but only 2” deep. I’ve used most of the kit parts, with just one wall panel left over which I can probably use for another low relief building. Making the roof is going to be a challenge.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Tonight I’ve added some strengthening sections out of sight, hopefully to make it more robust. As these are a part wood, part plastic, I used superglue to stick them. In the corners I’ve added a fillet by pouring some ‘Rocket Powder’ into the superglue. This works really well as it makes a sort of superglue Milliput that dries quickly.

After it had time to dry, I went to pick it up, it was stuck to the cutting mat on my workbench. Some of the glue had run through a small gap bonding the building to the mat. At least it will make me replace the well used cutting mat.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Here it is with a start made on the roof and a first coat of brick paint.

D4957095-2DC6-415A-826D-BE5F7F6A964F.jpeg

And a view from the back showing all the strengthening bits.

E2EF5981-2A7B-4F91-B53A-E29832CA5A65.jpeg

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more progress yesterday, painting individual bricks.

8E2293CF-37D7-452B-927B-9D8C26A36C40.jpeg

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Today I’ve finally sorted the finish on my coaling stage. After painting it with matt paints, it came out glossy. Weathering with powders and a matt fixative and it still was glossy. Spray with matt varnish, yup, still glossy. People recommended I try Testor’s Dullcote, I ordered a couple of small spray cans which have to come by courier, two light coats and at last it has a matt finish. It’s been very trying, but at last it looks OK. Next it needs the sub structures assembled and some coal added. I’ll be glad when its complete.