Howdy

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Hello from Mississippi. I have been away from the hobby for a number of years due to travel for work. Now I am dipping a toe back in the pool, with a couple of loops of plastic track in the back yard of my rented home. One for G-Scale, and onr for Lionel 2"gage 1/24th scale.
Does anyone know the logic in Lionel's decision to revamp Gage 2 for their Ready to Play Line?
My grown children bought me a set to encourage me to get back into the hobby.
They assumed it would be O Scale, after I opened it I assumed Gage 1. You know what they say about making assumptions. :)

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum,Technocrat. I'm sure you'll find all the answers to any questions on here, just beware of the dodgy humour

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the GSC Madhouse.... :D

Jon.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah - Welcome!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello from Mississippi. I have been away from the hobby for a number of years due to travel for work. Now I am dipping a toe back in the pool, with a couple of loops of plastic track in the back yard of my rented home. One for G-Scale, and onr for Lionel 2"gage 1/24th scale.
Does anyone know the logic in Lionel's decision to revamp Gage 2 for their Ready to Play Line?
They assumed it would be O Scale, after I opened it I assumed Gage 1. You know what they say about making assumptions. :)
Welcome to the forum ?name. As for the Lionel gauge debacle, my view is that they are against the concept of their product being used with other than Lionel trains, hence the dodgy gauge revision. It can be converted but with a fair bit of nail biting work, someone on here did one. Perhaps the thread can be found.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, as already mentioned beware of the dodgy jokes and puns, but also we are keen on photos, let us see what you have and how you are managing, and of course the real purpose of the forum is help, and we can normally supply lots of that, along with debate :)

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum,Technocrat. I'm sure you'll find all the answers to any questions on here, just beware of the dodgy humour

P Paul M , Zerogee Zerogee , trammayo trammayo , dunnyrail dunnyrail , JimmyB JimmyB

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
I have little concern about dodgy humor, having been a sailor and also spending the better part of 20 years working in shipyards. Please help me keep mine civilized,

dunnyrail dunnyrail ,​

You may be right about Lionel's reasoning. Now they have seral sets available in both G and 1:24. That should cause some consternation.

I prefer to model in 1:22.5, having started out with Bachmann Big Haulers. I am eyeing a venture into1:22.5 in Gage 3. We will have to see how that works out.

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ya welcome to the forum. I cover a lot in the hello from Sarnia. If ya wanna check it out ... I am very new as well and compared to other gages there is lots to know eh.

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Ya welcome to the forum. I cover a lot in the hello from Sarnia. If ya wanna check it out ... I am very new as well and compared to other gages there is lots to know eh.
Thanks,
Yep. That there is.
The eh sends me back. For a while, I was a Youper, from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. My job moves me around a lot.
Looks Like I will be here a while, so I am trying to put down some rails.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

P Paul M , Zerogee Zerogee , trammayo trammayo , dunnyrail dunnyrail , JimmyB JimmyB

I have little concern about dodgy humor, having been a sailor and also spending the better part of 20 years working in shipyards. Please help me keep mine civilized,

dunnyrail dunnyrail ,​

You may be right about Lionel's reasoning. Now they have seral sets available in both G and 1:24. That should cause some consternation.

I prefer to model in 1:22.5, having started out with Bachmann Big Haulers. I am eyeing a venture into1:22.5 in Gage 3. We will have to see how that works out.
If you are delving into Gauge 3 you may find this thread of interest, I am dabbling but struggling to find space for a real line. When I moved here in 2012 I was sorely tempted to go gauge 3 standard gauge but my belived Harz Dunnybahn won out in the end.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail dunnyrail ,​

Welcome to the madness that's g scale Central..
Think of it of being your local bar..you can joke with your freinds , but you don't want to upset the folks at the next table..no politics,religion, or guns..ect..we want you to enjoy it..not spoil it. Plenty of sailors on here , so please enjoy your self.and yes ,,we love photos...
Mike

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
If you are delving into Gauge 3 you may find this thread of interest, I am dabbling but struggling to find space for a real line. When I moved here in 2012 I was sorely tempted to go gauge 3 standard gauge but my belived Harz Dunnybahn won out in the end.
Thanks for that. It really does whet my appetite.
I have never been a great scratch builder, due to either time or space considerations. As I approach retirement I hope to remedy that.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard. My one and only experience with Missippi was when I was stationed at Gulfport Seabee base in the early '70s.

A funny story, my buddy and I snuck off base one night to go to a bar down the road. Of course we got hammered and left only when the boyfriends of the girls we were dancing with got their short hairs twisted.

While walking back to base my buddy fell asleep by the side of the road. After a bit, a black sedan pulls up and the sheriff orders us in the car it a very polite manner. He dropped us off outside the base and we made our way through a farmers field back to where we originally exited through a hole in the fence. Dogs barking, lights coming on, I was expecting the farmer to be on his porch with a shotgun.

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like some things never change. SeeBees are still well liked by law enforcement. The battalion volunteered a lot of help after Katrina.

I was a Hole Snipe, and only came here as a civilian.

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Technocrat. Welcome to the forum.

I got back into the hobby last year after 20 plus years away. I had a garden railway and now (Because I live close to Houston TX) I have an attic bonus room layout. Much better with the humidity in the southern USA.

You will find lots of good advice here and you are also welcome to ask me questions. AJ the Teacher

Steve Manners

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Hull
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, I make up large scale train sets on local history themes from Hull and East Yorkshire in the UK where I live. I normally work in a "loose" 1/24 scale usually using Bachmann Thomas and Playmobil stock converted to suit my particular theme. My buildings are scratch built from Foamex. I have just got around to making up a set using the Lionel Hogwarts Express. It will have a WW1 rail transport theme as our local North Eastern railwaymen joined up as pioneers to build and operate standard and narrow gauge railways on the Western front. I will use the Lionel set and track as it comes, rating it at a "loose" 1/32nd or gauge 1 ratio. I will be able to use a lot of the half finished military models from my military modelling days. I will probably use 00 gauge track for the narrow gauge rolling stock. The regauging of Lionel stock seems more hassle than it is worth if you can avoid it. Sorry no photos of my 1/32 WW1 stuff yet as I am trying to finish off a 1/24 set.
I have just started running the Lionel Hogwarts and stripping the carriages ready to repaint as an ambulance train. The Hogwarts set is a really good toy style offering in my opinion. It's fun to use as it comes and has lots of possibilities for conversion if you are happy as I am, to work in a toylike way. I put the serious stuff about the railways I am modelling on information boards with the displays so people can see an amusing toy running around but find out what things were really like if they are interested.
Like most railway modellers I am not consistent in the way I model stuff. I will avoid the hard work of regauging the Hogwarts stuff but spend ages on interior detail in my buildings that will rarely if ever be seen.
Remember you are building a model railway mostly seen by "eyes in the sky" if it's on the floor in your garden. If you laid the Lionel 50mm track next to similar black 45mm track most people probably wouldn't notice it! Just enjoy yourself and play around with some cheap RC sets before you decide on a more "serious" approach. All the best from the UK. Steve Manners.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, I make up large scale train sets on local history themes from Hull and East Yorkshire in the UK where I live. I normally work in a "loose" 1/24 scale usually using Bachmann Thomas and Playmobil stock converted to suit my particular theme. My buildings are scratch built from Foamex. I have just got around to making up a set using the Lionel Hogwarts Express. It will have a WW1 rail transport theme as our local North Eastern railwaymen joined up as pioneers to build and operate standard and narrow gauge railways on the Western front. I will use the Lionel set and track as it comes, rating it at a "loose" 1/32nd or gauge 1 ratio. I will be able to use a lot of the half finished military models from my military modelling days. I will probably use 00 gauge track for the narrow gauge rolling stock. The regauging of Lionel stock seems more hassle than it is worth if you can avoid it. Sorry no photos of my 1/32 WW1 stuff yet as I am trying to finish off a 1/24 set.
I have just started running the Lionel Hogwarts and stripping the carriages ready to repaint as an ambulance train. The Hogwarts set is a really good toy style offering in my opinion. It's fun to use as it comes and has lots of possibilities for conversion if you are happy as I am, to work in a toylike way. I put the serious stuff about the railways I am modelling on information boards with the displays so people can see an amusing toy running around but find out what things were really like if they are interested.
Like most railway modellers I am not consistent in the way I model stuff. I will avoid the hard work of regauging the Hogwarts stuff but spend ages on interior detail in my buildings that will rarely if ever be seen.
Remember you are building a model railway mostly seen by "eyes in the sky" if it's on the floor in your garden. If you laid the Lionel 50mm track next to similar black 45mm track most people probably wouldn't notice it! Just enjoy yourself and play around with some cheap RC sets before you decide on a more "serious" approach. All the best from the UK. Steve Manners.
Are there any pictures of your foamex buildings anywhere?

Steve Manners

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Hull
Best answers
Country flag
Are there any pictures of your foamex buildings anywhere?
Hi, yes if you look up my Xmas posting "Ho Ho Houses". They were built quickly with Foamex carcasses and printed card bricks and other detail added/stuck on, using my inkjet. For my main 1/24 layouts I have the bricks and tiles printed straight onto 3mm Foamex for the main walls and I have the same patterns printed onto adhesive vinyl sheet. I can cut this out and stick it on to cover awkward shapes and gaps. Planking is scored into white foamex and painted. I use black foamex for guttering and other oddments. Foamex is available in UK on Ebay plain and printed. Look carefully and buy 10 sheets or so at a time as you will see single sheets advertised at silly prices.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, yes if you look up my Xmas posting "Ho Ho Houses". They were built quickly with Foamex carcasses and printed card bricks and other detail added/stuck on, using my inkjet. For my main 1/24 layouts I have the bricks and tiles printed straight onto 3mm Foamex for the main walls and I have the same patterns printed onto adhesive vinyl sheet. I can cut this out and stick it on to cover awkward shapes and gaps. Planking is scored into white foamex and painted. I use black foamex for guttering and other oddments. Foamex is available in UK on Ebay plain and printed. Look carefully and buy 10 sheets or so at a time as you will see single sheets advertised at silly prices.
I looked up foamex g scale structures. Are they durable for a garden? I need something that is not only weather durable but squirrel proof as well.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I looked up foamex g scale structures. Are they durable for a garden? I need something that is not only weather durable but squirrel proof as well.
Is anything squirrel proof!!