How to Tell a Blown Decoder

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
I think I know the answer but thought I'd take a try here for a miracle.

I fear I have a dead decoder. Massoth eMotion S Sound Decoder.

I opened up the loco and unplugged the speaker, lights, smoke etc.

I connected the Brown and White leads directly to my test track.

I am using the Massoth MST tool for the CV programming. (Massoth 1210Z, LGB 55045, and the MST Software)

The set-up I have works fine with decoders I know are working I can read and write with no issues.

For the suspect decoder I get 255 values when it reads or read errors. I get write errors when I try to write any CV.

I assume I am screwed.

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
I think I know the answer but thought I'd take a try here for a miracle.

I fear I have a dead decoder. Massoth eMotion S Sound Decoder.

I opened up the loco and unplugged the speaker, lights, smoke etc.

I connected the Brown and White leads directly to my test track.

I am using the Massoth MST tool for the CV programming. (Massoth 1210Z, LGB 55045, and the MST Software)

The set-up I have works fine with decoders I know are working I can read and write with no issues.

For the suspect decoder I get 255 values when it reads or read errors. I get write errors when I try to write any CV.

I assume I am screwed.
The programming lock in CV15 may be active. Standard value of CV15 to unlock is 145 for the S decoder.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
But the programming lock should not prevent you reading back CV values..

PhilP

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
But the programming lock should not prevent you reading back CV values..

PhilP
It prevents both read and write. This way you can have multiple decoders and access only one at a time. CV15 and reset CV for the lock are the only ones always accessible.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Clearly the point of lock, that the locked decoder allows 2 (or more) devices on the "programming track" correctly termed "in service mode".

A clever solution, but I often wuss out for my friends and put a couple of disconnect switches on their locos. Dumb but easier for most.

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I think it is cooked. CVs 15 and 16 both read 255 and I am unable to write to them with the MST.

Are any of you familiar with the CV7 reset procedure? If I can figure that out I will give it a whirl.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
How old is the module? Early S decoders needed the speaker to be connected to read and write CVs.

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
How old is the module? Early S decoders needed the speaker to be connected to read and write CVs.

Great minds think alike.

I am just reading your post now. Earlier this morning I discovered that you have to have a load connected. I was trying to program the bare decoder. When I connected a motor to it, voila! I knew things like switch decoders need a load when programming but did not recall Massoth advising that a decoder needs it. Now I know

I can read all the CVs now.

I tested it on a layout and the motor was running backwards and forwars.

I have a speaker connected but at the moment, I am not getting any sounds. I need to check some more things in the control software I am using (Stellwerks Easy) to but I think I will get that working.

Bottom line is that it is not blown and that is a $219 dollar recovery!

I love trains....I hate trains,....I love trains....I hate trains. It much like golf. :)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I love trains....I hate trains,....I love trains....I hate trains. It much like golf. :)
But things have got to be going really badly for a good walk to be ruined by a train

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
But things have got to be going really badly for a good walk to be ruined by a train
That depends how much attention you are paying at the foot crossing!
:tmi: :eek::(

PhilP

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Unless its a train of thought.

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds are now working.

BTW, its a Spreewald loco with a Massoth eMotion LS decoder and the Spreewald sound program. It is in pieces now. I'll post pictures/video when I get it all back together.

https://www.massoth.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/8210071.mp3

Having easy ability to change the CVs is nice. I like the fact that you can change individual volume on each sound not too mention completely changing the sound program if you want to.

Prior to this, the only sound I had was an LGB 65000 and there wasn't much you could do with that one.