DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes but what if you make your own?
Separate sheet in Excell. I have the same issue and there is a monetary value to these things as well, course loss can never replace the effort but good to have that list just in case.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
But what about Theft, Fire, Pestilence, Tree fall, plane fall, plastic virus,,,, etc etc... An inventory will save time and effort for insurance purposes...try telling an insurance bod that your collection is worth £40,000 and see how much they reckon, without proof etc etc...oh and don't forget the track, points, buildings etc....
Oh, alright - p'raps I need to update the list a bit; when SWMBO isn't looking ;);)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for posting Ken. I have just tried the demo - Little problem, it only seems to offer a limited range of manufacturer tags and nothing for 45 mm gauge. I cannot find a field for either of these noted as "other" so that it can be customised to suit all the different Fn3 and 16 mm scale products from the makers I have, just "unknown" that cannot be seem to able to be modified. Am I missing something here ? As it is it would be no better than just writing a list in a regular word document. :think: Max
That is what I also found with so called bespoke systems, you cannot beat the spreadsheet and of course Word allows a Table that is effectively a spreadsheet, though not so comprehensive.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so now I have a little list ;);) I'd recommend using Excel, 'cos you can re-size that at print stage to fit to one sheet, or however many you need :p:p with Word, you're stuck with WP formatting :rock::rock:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
There's a difference between a spreadsheet and a database. The line is getting blurred somewhat, but there is only so much you can do with sorting an Excel spreadsheet.

I would not recommend tables in Word, they are too limited, and pretty poor at calculating.

I use a database to be able to search for things, but most people will be fine with a spreadsheet, sorted according to the current area of interest. I often search for things in common, like type of decoder, rolling stock that has not been maintained/serviced in a while, etc. Of course I was a computer science major, so been programming since 1969, so maybe I am "different" ha ha!

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah! That explains a lot!!

American, AND a Programmer!! :p;)
:giggle::giggle:

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for posting Ken. I have just tried the demo - Little problem, it only seems to offer a limited range of manufacturer tags and nothing for 45 mm gauge. I cannot find a field for either of these noted as "other" so that it can be customised to suit all the different Fn3 and 16 mm scale products from the makers I have, just "unknown" that cannot be seem to able to be modified. Am I missing something here ? As it is it would be no better than just writing a list in a regular word document. :think: Max
Max, there are three tabs at the top of the program screen: Stock, Reports and Maintenance. Click on "Maintenance" on the right then "Makers and Manufacturers". F8 will let you add your own. The prefilled list does seem to favor the smaller scales, but I haven't bothered to delete any yet. Ken

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
There's a difference between a spreadsheet and a database. The line is getting blurred somewhat, but there is only so much you can do with sorting an Excel spreadsheet.

I would not recommend tables in Word, they are too limited, and pretty poor at calculating.

I use a database to be able to search for things, but most people will be fine with a spreadsheet, sorted according to the current area of interest. I often search for things in common, like type of decoder, rolling stock that has not been maintained/serviced in a while, etc. Of course I was a computer science major, so been programming since 1969, so maybe I am "different" ha ha!

Greg
You're right, most of us don't need a database - except Mike and Kent Keith :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Max, there are three tabs at the top of the program screen: Stock, Reports and Maintenance. Click on "Maintenance" on the right then "Makers and Manufacturers". F8 will let you add your own. The prefilled list does seem to favor the smaller scales, but I haven't bothered to delete any yet. Ken

Thank you Ken. I really should learn to read effing the manual (RTFM) :D I think this could end up as a very useful tool now that I have a little time on my hands, as I am now retired, and have a very out of date list. I have a little bit of 009 stuff bow to list too, as well as my 15 mm & 16 mm, so I might keep 1 or 2 of the prefigured names for that. Max

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
That is what I also found with so called bespoke systems, you cannot beat the spreadsheet and of course Word allows a Table that is effectively a spreadsheet, though not so comprehensive.
Don't know about the other bespoke systems, but Model Train Catalogue has a lot of customization available, including two "self-named" fields. See my later reply to Max. I've put together a fair number of Excel spreadsheets over the years and some Access databases. They are both great tools, but for the price, it would take me a lot of time to match what is already in MTC and if I find something it won't do that I need badly enough to spend the time, I can just export all the data into Excel or a .CSV file. I think that for someone who wants/needs a detailed inventory, MTC is worth a look or even the $15 or so that it costs to buy. Now, I must admit that after I get into it a bit, I may decide that I don't want to be bothered with any kind of inventory.
Ken

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes but what if you make your own?

They told me to use the cost of a similar item that can bought eg a home made US boxcar equates to a USA trains/Aristocraft manufactured one

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Ah! That explains a lot!!

American, AND a Programmer!! :p;)
:giggle::giggle:
Ah yes, programmers. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. Just don't forget that we probably wouldn't be sitting at keyboards all around the world discussing the nuances of various aspects of our hobby if it weren't for people years ago who got tired of waiting for their company IT department to write the programs they needed to get the job done and bought a wimpy little "personal computer" and a copy of VisiCalc out of their own pockets/budgets. Isn't there some sort of correlation between computer nerds and model railroaders? No comment on whether the early programmers were mostly American, but the UK seems to have a jump on us in the model railways department.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No comment on whether the early programmers were mostly American, but the UK seems to have a jump on us in the model railways department.

Ah, well, see...........

We built the railways first.. So were the first 'out the blocks' modelling them, as well. :):nod::nod:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I've been wanting to create a record of all I've got - just in case I drop off my perch! The off-spring can flog it all as part of their inheritence. I keep telling my better half that it's been an investment :D.
I use Excell on a daily basis but also use Word to log things on as well. Excell has memory - so I would only have to put in a 'B' and it would display Bachmann!

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
My inventory is in pencil on a single page in a notepad. I can find the page and search through this much quicker than a spreadsheet or database. :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Mmm - lying in bed this morning and I realised I'd forgotten a loco :eek::eek: and no, the name's not Mike :devil::devil::devil::devil:

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
i do all my lists (not only for the toys) in excel.
if i would ever find out, how to run old programs on modern PCs, i would install my old ms-works again.
data bases and spreadsheets and idiot proofed.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Reactions: 1 user

DougLN

NARROW GAUGE RAILWAYS
5 Jul 2010
DIDCOT,OXON
Best answers
Country flag
I now use a simple card for each loco/unit. Date entered service, Volts required for scale 20mph speed & last service date. I did 996001 this morning & updated its card. I did have a spreadsheet on a PC long gone (I started in 1993) I found card system nice, simple & easy to keep up to date.