Hi from Kings Lynn Norfolk UK

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, i am hopping you guys can help with some RC Battery train modelling. I have started with an 70met twin indoor ON30 scale shelf track that was being fitted with DCC, but this i am going to make RC Battery instead using Micron Radio Control & RCT-Rx65. to control the trains & then wifi to control everything else. It seems to be simpler & even better, less expensive. I use a 4 relay wifi board at around £9/$7.20 & an online control panel that is around the same price per year that i can use via my computer/laptop/phone & even Alexa. Images bellow.
Now once i have the indoor one fully working, I hope to use the same format in the G scale 45mm garden layout of around 50met of track.
Look forward to chatting.

sonoff-board.jpg
cp.JPG

Attachments

• wifi-relay.JPG
    wifi-relay.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Collectors. I'm afraid I can't help you with this, but there's plenty on here who can. Be warned of the humour though

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, welcome, mind the humour gap. The WWNR is based a few miles outside Lynn near the windmill ;);)

I use battery, but am something of a Luddite, and go for the simplest option, so not likely to be much help although you're very welcome to pop over and have a look.

As Paul said, there are plenty of people with knowledge on the forum here

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!

Give it a few weeks, and the new receivers should be available..

Presently, we are using separate receivers and speed controllers, as Deltang have ceased production of the Rx6n series receivers.

PhilP

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, welcome, mind the humour gap. The WWNR is based a few miles outside Lynn near the windmill ;);)

I use battery, but am something of a Luddite, and go for the simplest option, so not likely to be much help although you're very welcome to pop over and have a look.

As Paul said, there are plenty of people with knowledge on the forum here
Hi Rhino, do you have a website or Facebook page with some extra info. Would love to pop in sometime.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Chris, welcome, as already mentioned the humour can be "quite different" at times, and do love to see photos. I am a battery and steam operator, but very new to it, but you can see some of my conversions on my blog

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Chris, welcome, as already mentioned the humour can be "quite different" at times, and do love to see photos. I am a battery and steam operator, but very new to it, but you can see some of my conversions on my blog
Now there's a nice blog with a wealth of info. Would be nice if some of the manufactures put up some more details on the RC side of things. I am a retired electrician, but electronics is very alien to me in that its hard to get the mind working to things like switching & fusing on the negative side. A complete no/no with electrics. Electronics is a dark art in comparison.
Yet many of the principles are the same.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rhino, do you have a website or Facebook page with some extra info. Would love to pop in sometime.
Chris, no, I'm not really in to that. There are a few of my (rather poor) photos around the forum, and the occasional attempt at recording a build of something or other.

Perhaps the highlight was a published article on the construction of a scratch-built Fn3 combine.

I can start a conversation about a visit.

PICT0027.JPG

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Chris.

I'm not far away in Cambridge, although I often frequent Sunny Hunny too.

I'm mostly track powered digikal operation, although I do have a couple of battery powered items from Playmo and Piko, so I'm not going to be as helpful as you would wish here....

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Chris.

I'm not far away in Cambridge, although I often frequent Sunny Hunny too.

I'm mostly track powered digikal operation, although I do have a couple of battery powered items from Playmo and Piko, so I'm not going to be as helpful as you would wish here....
Hi Gizzy,
i was expecting chats from around the world & now i am chatting with locals, lol. "Chats from anywhere is welcome" as any chat can lead you down a different garden path with new ideas, so to speak.
The Easter weekend has just gone & i avoid the roads to Sunny Hunny in the hols.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gizzy,
i was expecting chats from around the world & now i am chatting with locals, lol. "Chats from anywhere is welcome" as any chat can lead you down a different garden path with new ideas, so to speak.
The Easter weekend has just gone & i avoid the roads to Sunny Hunny in the hols.
Mizzy and I travelled up on Saturday afternoon, returning Monday evening, and the traffic was surprisingly light.

But yes, it can get very busy with day trippers....

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Now there's a nice blog with a wealth of info. Would be nice if some of the manufactures put up some more details on the RC side of things. I am a retired electrician, but electronics is very alien to me in that its hard to get the mind working to things like switching & fusing on the negative side. A complete no/no with electrics. Electronics is a dark art in comparison.
Yet many of the principles are the same.
At the risk of starting an argument..
With the voltages we are dealing with, and not tying the negative, to a ruddy great lump of metal, it is more important there IS a fuse, than which 'leg' it is in.

By all means wire it in the positive lead if you wish.

I am a little 'anal' and prefer to use on/off/on switching, for running/off/charging, even though I also wire the switched contact (in the negative!) on the charging socket.

Follow the 'more' links on my website, and also follow the bread-crumbs to the Peckforton Railway blog..

PhilP
rctrains.co.uk

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
With the voltages we are dealing with, and not tying the negative, to a ruddy great lump of metal, it is more important there IS a fuse, than which 'leg' it is in.

I am a little 'anal' and prefer to use on/off/on switching, for running/off/charging, even though I also wire the switched contact (in the negative!) on the charging socket.

Follow the 'more' links on my website, and also follow the bread-crumbs to the Peckforton Railway blog..

PhilP
rctrains.co.uk
PhilP! At the risk of starting an argument, I got through to your website on the 1st click. Is it all fixed now ?. "Only joking "I will have a look around the Peckforton Railway blog as i may of missed some bits with the many links.
The only reason i prefer to switch & fuse on the positive side, is if a fuse blows on the negative side, there is still a chance with power running to an item it may still pick up a ground & maybe coarse some other damage or burn out cables with lager battery's. Cheers.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP
rctrains.co.uk
PhilP! At the risk of starting an argument, I got through to your website on the 1st click. Is it all fixed now ?. "Only joking "I will have a look around the Peckforton Railway blog as i may of missed some bits with the many links.
The only reason i prefer to switch & fuse on the positive side, is if a fuse blows on the negative side, there is still a chance with power running to an item it may still pick up a ground & maybe coarse some other damage or burn out cables with lager battery's. Cheers.
Oh yes, I was corrected by one of the boffins on this site - in my simple mind I thought that all the little electric wotsits ran from + to - .................... but they don't, they go the other way round or something equally mystifying.

However, I still put the fuse on the positive ............................... 'cos that's wot I've always done ....................... ever since I built my first battery loco without a fuse and caused a bit of warmth, smoke, melted cables and burnt fingers. Fortunately no damage to the loco body or the house :oops::oops:

The blog for that one was on Gscalemad

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I always fuse the positive, mainly because we have to at work. If your negative fuse blows, the positive is still live, which isn't good

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, but electrons are lazy.. They don't flow, they just drift. :D
They are also colour-blind.. That is why you can now have a black phase-wire. :(:rolleyes::nerd:

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Chris welcome to the forum, over the years I have done quite a few battery conversions some with DCC chips which gives a lot more options with sound. I also have Deltang, Crest, Piko but prefer FOSWORKS equipment and have stuck with NiMh Battery technology. You can find many of mine and others conversions in the Forums ‘Power and Sound / Battery Power‘ sure you must have found these threads by now. Good luck with your line, perhaps one day on a trip to Dereham I may be allowed to visit your line with one of my Battery DCC creations, not sure that many in the forum have taken this route as thus far in U.K. only FOSWORKS are offering TX and RX that do that option.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Chris welcome to the forum, over the years I have done quite a few battery conversions some with DCC chips which gives a lot more options with sound. I also have Deltang, Crest, Piko but prefer FOSWORKS equipment and have stuck with NiMh Battery technology. You can find many of mine and others conversions in the Forums ‘Power and Sound / Battery Power‘ sure you must have found these threads by now. Good luck with your line, perhaps one day on a trip to Dereham I may be allowed to visit your line with one of my Battery DCC creations, not sure that many in the forum have taken this route as thus far in U.K. only FOSWORKS are offering TX and RX that do that option.
Hi, thanks for the welcome. I am still in early stages of planning with the garden & using the Micron equipment was more to do with size of what will fit in my on30 scale layout , but the Fosworks looks interesting for the garden side. I am also looking at the possibility's of wireless inductive charging for my project.
But all in the planning stage at the moment. I haven't even decided if to have the track as ground based or a raised layout. If raised, it quite likely be with scaffold tubing like the image as its very flexible with my garden not being the most level..
This i find the fun part with designing & the build.
Garden rail.JPG

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, thanks for the welcome. I am still in early stages of planning with the garden & using the Micron equipment was more to do with size of what will fit in my on30 scale layout , but the Fosworks looks interesting for the garden side. I am also looking at the possibility's of wireless inductive charging for my project.
But all in the planning stage at the moment. I haven't even decided if to have the track as ground based or a raised layout. If raised, it quite likely be with scaffold tubing like the image as its very flexible with my garden not being the most level..
This i find the fun part with designing & the build.
View attachment 297513
Ground based or raised, another topic of intense discussion. Just remember your poor knees if its ground based.