DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, John.

The area of your layout is roughly what I have available. and your design isn't too far removed from my plan either. I'm currently working towards large oval with an inner passing loop, to run a Stainz loco & a few wagons, and at an upper level at the back an independant line for a couple of Bachmann trams. There's quite a bit of layout work to do regarding point control on the main loop, and I've not yet started the higher level. My wife is currently working on some simple stations & buildings and we currently have no idea on infill of plants etc. Unfortunately, I don't have a shed to spare to give me any permanent cover, so there's much transporting of rolling stock (and probably buildings) when the weather isn't too good.

If you'd like a get-together (either in Cheltenham or for the G-Scale show on Feb 9th), let me know.

Best regards,
Noting that you do not have ‘a Shed to spare’, probably worthwhile making some space in one that you by definition may have? Noting that Sheds often get used as dumping grounds for all manner of stuff. A re-organisation and some shelves can make all the difference. I turned a friends Shed into a Fileafax Type Storage Area with everything in its place and the 3 bikes hanging from hooks from the ceiling. It will make your line much more user friendly if you can store Wagons and Coaches plus possibly buildings in a Shed with the Locomotives indoors. Even a foot wide baseboard as an L will just give you 2 tracks for storage.

GriffsGrandad

Registered
24 Jan 2019
Cheltenham, England
Best answers
Country flag
probably worthwhile making some space in one that you by definition may have?
Agreed... At present, I'm using an old IKEA glass fronted cupboard in the garage for just this purpose - but sadly it's 10 meters or so from the layout with no easy route for linking them with track. My shed is even further away and even less accessible. The layout itself is on a concrete base (which was an eyesore with no purpose until the railway was started), about 6x4 meters and 30cms deep - so it definitely wouldn't be easy to move that closer to the garage or shed! :whew:

John Pinfold

Registered
3 Mar 2018
Cheltenham
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Jon. I don't have thread for the layout on the Forum but am in the process of writing an article for the G-Scale magazine. Hopefully it will pass muster and be published sometime soon. All best, JP.

Hello Les, Yes I will be at the West Midlands show on Feb 9th. It would be good to meet up there. Look forward to it. My shed measures 8' x 12' ... and the outside section of the layout:- 8' x 17'. Not over large by G Scale standards! All best, JP.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed... At present, I'm using an old IKEA glass fronted cupboard in the garage for just this purpose - but sadly it's 10 meters or so from the layout with no easy route for linking them with track. My shed is even further away and even less accessible. The layout itself is on a concrete base (which was an eyesore with no purpose until the railway was started), about 6x4 meters and 30cms deep - so it definitely wouldn't be easy to move that closer to the garage or shed! :whew:
That would make a nice long run!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, John.

The area of your layout is roughly what I have available. and your design isn't too far removed from my plan either. I'm currently working towards large oval with an inner passing loop, to run a Stainz loco & a few wagons, and at an upper level at the back an independant line for a couple of Bachmann trams. There's quite a bit of layout work to do regarding point control on the main loop, and I've not yet started the higher level. My wife is currently working on some simple stations & buildings and we currently have no idea on infill of plants etc. Unfortunately, I don't have a shed to spare to give me any permanent cover, so there's much transporting of rolling stock (and probably buildings) when the weather isn't too good.

If you'd like a get-together (either in Cheltenham or for the G-Scale show on Feb 9th), let me know.

Best regards,
Note that a lot buildingsthese days are made of resin so can be left out in all weathers ( make sure your glue is weatherproof as well though!)

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Welcome, Griffsgrandad - spent three happy years in Cheltenham as a student at St. Paul's.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Griffsgrandad.
Getting something down to run is the hardest hurdle, which you are already surmounting, but once done, everything else just grows ..exponentially!

Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard, John. That's a first class layout you have there.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Les....

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Have you given any thought to a plastic shed/ storage unit as a temp solution?
th
th

Welcome a board!

GriffsGrandad

Registered
24 Jan 2019
Cheltenham, England
Best answers
Country flag
Have you given any thought to a plastic shed/ storage unit as a temp solution? Welcome a board!

Unfortunately, at present, there is neither an alternative location for the initial layout (on the pre-existing large concrete base) nor a nearby space in which to put a storage space (shed, garage, plastic garden box or anything else), but thanks for the thought. The lack of local storage space is in any case just a minor inconvenience, not a major catastrophe, so life will go on as I concentrate on the layout in general.

Thanks to everyone for the multitude of welcomes!

Les

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with everything you do, this site is superb as ive asked several questions and had a excellent responce in helping me sort things out.

Im still trying to get track laid but hoprfully will have it running soon, thats if it stops snowing down here in the roman city.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, Les.
I'm not from Cheltenham; not even the one here in North America....!
...but I can still welcome you to this nasty place, where obsessed model railroaders of all persuasions seem to be drawn, at all hours of any day, to be insulted, humoured, and befriended. Some even admit to having a civilized name, for others to feel comfortable addressing them by.
I'm located over here in Eastern Ontario, Canada. Living in the Capitol city, Ottawa, where a few of us operate a railway.
Visit our web page at: www.ovgrs.org/
Welcome to G Scale Central.
Fred Mills