Hi, from Cheltenham, England

GriffsGrandad

Registered
24 Jan 2019
Cheltenham, England
Best answers
Country flag
Just started on getting an outdoor layout going for my grandson (and me, of course!), mostly using little-used LGB stuff bought when my 40 year old son was 2! Also trying to learn about electronics, using Arduino and ESP32 chips to switch points and (hopefully) run DCC, once I manage to modify some Bachmann trams. Lots to learn...

Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC!

Don't worry, we're all of us still learning all the time.... especially about the Arcane Magicks of Electro-histrionics..... ;)

Jon.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just started on getting an outdoor layout going for my grandson (and me, of course!), mostly using little-used LGB stuff bought when my 40 year old son was 2! Also trying to learn about electronics, using Arduino and ESP32 chips to switch points and (hopefully) run DCC, once I manage to modify some Bachmann trams. Lots to learn...

Welcome to you! Doesn't matter what you model here, or how it's driven/propelled/motivated - there will always be somebody to offer you advice, often useful, too.

These days I have to note a move toward battery r/c - no confusing wires, y'see - and with batteries getting even better at providing the necessary EMF for longer and longer periods, and getting smaller and smaller doing it, it has to lot to recommend it. Mind you, I'm only saying that because I already have half a dozen locos like that, so please ignore me if you are intent on getting involved with DCC and stuff.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Madhouse Gramps, sorry but you do not say your name. A good place to add that is in your signature line like mine seen just below in low res grey. Like Tac I am all Battery or Live Steam these days (and still converting) and you can find plenty of how to do that’s in both my and others Forums under Battery.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, you'll get all the answers you will need on here

GriffsGrandad

Registered
24 Jan 2019
Cheltenham, England
Best answers
Country flag
These days I have to note a move toward battery r/c - it has to lot to recommend it. .
Had a quick look at some of your guides on battery conversions, Tac - very interesting. At the moment though, the wife thinks the priority should be to just get something going, rather than constantly looking for new challenges. She's probably right - again...

GriffsGrandad

Registered
24 Jan 2019
Cheltenham, England
Best answers
Country flag
Like Tac I am all Battery or Live Steam - you can find plenty of how to do that’s in both my and others Forums under Battery.
Hi, Jon. I've already watched the video of your layout several times - just too impressive for words - and it's given me some good ideas. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Les welcome from Somerset - enjoy!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Had a quick look at some of your guides on battery conversions, Tac - very interesting. At the moment though, the wife thinks the priority should be to just get something going, rather than constantly looking for new challenges. She's probably right - again...

Your wife is quite right, Les (aren't they always...? ;) ) - actually getting a bit of track down, even if only laid temporarily, and being able to run a basic train is absolutely the best way to get going and to keep your interest up..... for myself, I spent almost fifteen years just collecting stuff before I got any sort of line down at all, and recognise in hindsight that it wasn't the best way of doing things, though I did try to visit as many open running days at other peoples' lines as I could so that I could actually get some of my locos and stock out on the rails.

Get some track on the ground, run a train and enjoy watching it - there is no better encouragement to keep going than that! :)

Jon.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Your wife is quite right, Les (aren't they always...? ;) ) - actually getting a bit of track down, even if only laid temporarily, and being able to run a basic train is absolutely the best way to get going and to keep your interest up..... for myself, I spent almost fifteen years just collecting stuff before I got any sort of line down at all, and recognise in hindsight that it wasn't the best way of doing things, though I did try to visit as many open running days at other peoples' lines as I could so that I could actually get some of my locos and stock out on the rails.

Get some track on the ground, run a train and enjoy watching it - there is no better encouragement to keep going than that! :)

Jon.
Couldn't agree more, I only started last year, and despite an accident (less said the better) I have a layout in the garden and can run trains and entertain the grandkids, this year will look at improving what i have before i expand.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Just re-read your first post, Les, and realised that you've already got a stash of nearly-40-year-old LGB stuff - in that case, you're all sorted and ready to go, it should still run just fine, though adding a more up to date controller/power unit might not be a bad idea - some of the very old LGB power packs were very low powered (half an amp or so). For a budget solution to get you running, an LGB 50085 or similar 1-amp power pack can usually be found second-hand for around twenty to twenty five quid, and is a perfectly good little unit for driving a basic analogue DC loco (even a two-motor one, on a flat line without too long a train).

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Les. This is a good place to come and learn, relax, and have a good laugh now and then.

You mentioned battery power. I converted to it nine years ago. Best thing I ever did for my garden railway.

And I see you're from Cheltenham. Cheltenham is right around the corner from me. Cheltenham, Pennsylvania, that is.....:nod:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
@Griffs'grandad - before running your stash of locos, it would definitely be worthwhile investing in some of the LGB white grease. Even better would be the multiple lube packs made by LaBelle or Hob-e-Lube - they contains one of each of EVER kind of lubricant needed by our size trains, and are plastic friendly. Note that 3-in-2 is NOT!!! It will eventually rot the plastic of which most model trains are made. Check for a 'plastic compatible' label.

By now, the stuff in your trains may have solidified into a solid mass of gloop. Also, you say that you have not actually run anything? In spite of that, you might find that the pickups at the backs of the wheels have either frozen in place or have turned to powder. These are the little carbon brushes that most older LGB locos used to transmit the current from wheels to motor. They are actually getting quite hard to find, although my local dealer, Glendale Junction, has a selection of both necessities and a fast turn-around delivery. Many of us here in Eastern England use Caroline and Brian's excellent services to keep our trains moving as they should. Youtube is filled with handy tints and hips on keeping your older locos going. My NEWEST LGB loco was bought at Christmas 1983, BTW.

Don't worry about your ability to re-grease a loco, or to replace the brushes - it's so simple that even I can do it.

Last edited:

GriffsGrandad

Registered
24 Jan 2019
Cheltenham, England
Best answers
Country flag
Cheltenham is right around the corner from me. Cheltenham, Pennsylvania, that is.....:nod:
And Pennsylvania Avenue isn't too far from me. (I'll check if there's a white house in the road next time I go past.)

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from a Droitwich guy, Look up the G scale West Midlands Group if you want further inspiration.. and welcome to the mad house also., enjoy.

John Pinfold

Registered
3 Mar 2018
Cheltenham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello GG,

Welcome to GSC. I'm also in Cheltenham and although I'm by no means a whizz with electronics, I recently built a first-time layout (see overview below) so may be able to help in a more general way. All best, JP. Sept 2018.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hello GG,

Welcome to GSC. I'm also in Cheltenham and although I'm by no means a whizz with electronics, I recently built a first-time layout (see overview below) so may be able to help in a more general way. All best, JP. View attachment 247854

That's a really attractive layout, John, and a nice shiny new shed too! Would love to see some more pics of your line, probably worth starting a new thread for them unless you already have one that I've missed?

Jon.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Hello GG,

Welcome to GSC. I'm also in Cheltenham and although I'm by no means a whizz with electronics, I recently built a first-time layout (see overview below) so may be able to help in a more general way. All best, JP. View attachment 247854
All the best john, that picture looked ammusing on my phone all squished up...lol yes i must make the effort to get to see you this year... I have orderd a shed so hopefullt i will be getting things up and running this year.

GriffsGrandad

Registered
24 Jan 2019
Cheltenham, England
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, John.

The area of your layout is roughly what I have available. and your design isn't too far removed from my plan either. I'm currently working towards large oval with an inner passing loop, to run a Stainz loco & a few wagons, and at an upper level at the back an independant line for a couple of Bachmann trams. There's quite a bit of layout work to do regarding point control on the main loop, and I've not yet started the higher level. My wife is currently working on some simple stations & buildings and we currently have no idea on infill of plants etc. Unfortunately, I don't have a shed to spare to give me any permanent cover, so there's much transporting of rolling stock (and probably buildings) when the weather isn't too good.

If you'd like a get-together (either in Cheltenham or for the G-Scale show on Feb 9th), let me know.

Best regards,

GriffsGrandad

Registered
24 Jan 2019
Cheltenham, England
Best answers
Country flag
Are you going to the G-Scale show on Feb 9th? It must be very close to you. I'm hoping to be there and it would be good to meet up.

Best regards,