Hi Fellow Garden Railers,

TimGDB

Registered
16 May 2019
Mumbles, Swansea
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Tim.

Although I now have a Massoth system, I have kept my MTS II for a portable layout I run.

Your handset display appears to be in point setting mode, hence the S (for switch) 0, which is set by the F key followed by 1. If you push the F key followed by 2, you should get the loco address mode.

Hope this helps....

TimGDB

Registered
16 May 2019
Mumbles, Swansea
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Gizzy,
Unfortunately, I do try pressing F2 in order to select a loco but it doesn’t respond but just sticks at S- - 0, which implies it is faulty.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Gizzy,
Unfortunately, I do try pressing F2 in order to select a loco but it doesn’t respond but just sticks at S- - 0, which implies it is faulty.
Shame you aren't closer to me, otherwise I could have loaned you one of my handsets....

Reactions: 1 user

TimGDB

Registered
16 May 2019
Mumbles, Swansea
Best answers
Country flag
Tim, the Massoth Navigator will only work with an MTS III central station, if yours is an MTS II then you can only use the LGB handsets.
I couldn't find any mention in the posts above about which version of central station you have, apologies if I missed it somewhere.....

A Massoth Navvy for £150 will almost certainly be a cabled one - a wireless version will be around £70 or so more. To use a wireless Navvy with an MTSIII station you will also need a Massoth receiver unit, the MTS one won't work with it (though I believe you can still have both the MTS and Massoth receivers plugged into the central station at the same time).

Jon.

Tim, the Massoth Navigator will only work with an MTS III central station, if yours is an MTS II then you can only use the LGB handsets.
I couldn't find any mention in the posts above about which version of central station you have, apologies if I missed it somewhere.....

A Massoth Navvy for £150 will almost certainly be a cabled one - a wireless version will be around £70 or so more. To use a wireless Navvy with an MTSIII station you will also need a Massoth receiver unit, the MTS one won't work with it (though I believe you can still have both the MTS and Massoth receivers plugged into the central station at the same time).

Jon.

TimGDB

Registered
16 May 2019
Mumbles, Swansea
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your reply Jon Zerogee,
I'm pretty sure i don't have an MTSIII central station but it is not marked with anything so I just took a pic which is attached, so would welcome your knowledge in confirming what it is. Jon DunnyBahn is advising I go on the 'seeks 'part of this Forum to see if there is a preowned 55015p loco handset for sale so at least i can operate 2 locos simultaneously with my current system, which is sound advice. However, if I could upgrade to a Massoth the popular opinion reading various forums is that it's probably worth the expense in terms of the advantages it offers over LGB but i would be interested to know what you think, or should i give up on LGB MTS and go for a 'new' system compatible with my LGB locos and decoders? I put 'new' in inverted because i would never buy a new car but a preowned one of 2-3 years with reliable provenanc. I did read one forum this morning which stated Massoth is outdated and Zimo is the best, thus it's difficult to know what is my optimum option.20190521_170149.jpg
best wishes,
Tim

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your reply Jon Zerogee,
I'm pretty sure i don't have an MTSIII central station but it is not marked with anything so I just took a pic which is attached, so would welcome your knowledge in confirming what it is. Jon DunnyBahn is advising I go on the 'seeks 'part of this Forum to see if there is a preowned 55015p loco handset for sale so at least i can operate 2 locos simultaneously with my current system, which is sound advice. However, if I could upgrade to a Massoth the popular opinion reading various forums is that it's probably worth the expense in terms of the advantages it offers over LGB but i would be interested to know what you think, or should i give up on LGB MTS and go for a 'new' system compatible with my LGB locos and decoders? I put 'new' in inverted because i would never buy a new car but a preowned one of 2-3 years with reliable provenanc. I did read one forum this morning which stated Massoth is outdated and Zimo is the best, thus it's difficult to know what is my optimum option.View attachment 252485
best wishes,
Tim

Zimo is very good but very expensive, I believe. Massoth is well-proven and very widely used in the UK and Europe, perhaps a bit less so in the US. Massoth Dimax is a solid, reliable and relatively easy to use system and their long-time tie-in with LGB is a plus point on the compatibility front. My control gear is all Massoth, so I have a personal bias towards them as do quite a few others on here, and I hope it will last me for many years yet - I've certainly got no plans to change or upgrade to anything else.

Your central station looks to me like it's probably an MTSII, but what sockets are on the back? If there is one labelled "Dimax Bus" or something similar, then it will be an MTSIII.

I guess my best personal advice would be to use your existing MTS system for the time being, but keep your eyes open for a complete used Massoth setup - they do come up every now and then, both from dealers and occasionally privately through things like this forum's sales section. If you are lucky, you could pick up a good condition, complete system with a Navigator or two (hopefully wireless) for around £700-£800. If and when you see one for a reasonable price, I don't think you would be disappointed with it.

JonD's suggestion is a good one, post a request in the "wanted" section on here and see if anyone has something that would suit you? I've done that several times for various items, and you'd be amazed at what you get offered (oo-er....)!

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Further to last post: I should have checked the numbers before posting, a 55005 CS is indeed MTSII, so that is what you've got. It's an earlyish one too, as the later ones were labelled as 55005p on the front panel; if yours is indeed an early unit with the (factory-done) Parallel conversion then it should have a round white-on-black "P" sticker somewhere on the unit case. An MTSIII CS would be numbered 55006.

So, sadly, you can't use a Massoth navigator with the CS that you have. :(

Jon.