Hi Everybody and Seasonal Greetings from Scotland!

Caboose Charlie

Registered
19 Dec 2019
Scotland
tinyhousescotland.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Everybody and Seasonal Greetings from Scotland! I must say there are some fascinating threads of discussion on this amazing forum and so much useful information too. I am currently planning how to rejoin the hobby (for the third time!) with a barn/garden based sleepy rural single line railway concept with few space constraints...I am lucky to live on a smallholding!

I have fallen in love with a brace of LGB Corpet Louvets - so an engine shed to house them is going to be the first project.

My mind has been blown by a week of reading, absorbing and digesting and I think I have just about got my head around the current state of the hobby ie. mainly re. power and control!!! It's a long, long way from a little transformer and controller in the old days. It feels like deadrail 2.4GHz is the way ahead for me...so the Corpets will be in for severe surgery or battery cars!

I am looking forward to using my passion for architecture to build some delightful buildings for the line - it is perhaps ironic that my 'day job' is designing and building Tiny Houses...see Tiny House Scotland.

Pic below is from my last foray 20 years ago into 16mm on 32mm - a scratchbuilt battery powered diesel which still chugs along happily.
Hoping to be a contributor to this online community!

Kind regards

Jonathan
dieselbrake.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Everybody and Seasonal Greetings from Scotland! I must say there are some fascinating threads of discussion on this amazing forum and so much useful information too. I am currently planning how to rejoin the hobby (for the third time!) with a barn/garden based sleepy rural single line railway concept with few space constraints...I am lucky to live on a smallholding!

I have fallen in love with a brace of LGB Corpet Louvets - so an engine shed to house them is going to be the first project.

My mind has been blown by a week of reading, absorbing and digesting and I think I have just about got my head around the current state of the hobby ie. mainly re. power and control!!! It's a long, long way from a little transformer and controller in the old days. It feels like deadrail 2.4GHz is the way ahead for me...so the Corpets will be in for severe surgery or battery cars!

I am looking forward to using my passion for architecture to build some delightful buildings for the line - it is perhaps ironic that my 'day job' is designing and building Tiny Houses...see Tiny House Scotland.

Pic below is from my last foray 20 years ago into 16mm on 32mm - a scratchbuilt battery powered diesel which still chugs along happily.
Hoping to be a contributor to this online community!

Kind regards

Jonathan
View attachment 260259
Welcome to the fold. I am pondering a Corpet to Battery conversion, think it should be fairly easy to put in with a DCC Sound Decoder as well. Though the weight will have to go, NiMh Batteries will in part replace the lost weight to give acceptable haulage. I will be using a Massoth Decoder and Fosworks dead rail e quipment, though a similar setup would work just as well using Train Engineer DCC dead rail. I reviewed both systems in the Battery Thread in this forum just around a year ago.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, the 'carpet hoover' is a nicely proportioned loco - good choice :nod::nod:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Jonathan,

Welcome to the Forum! I think you will fit-in just fine!
A smallholding? I am jealous already! Oh, and I am guessing you won't have any trouble what-so-ever with a 'shed'! :eek:;):giggle::giggle:

There are many ways to go:
Perhaps, solar-power charging of batteries, for an 'off-grid' railway?

It does not look as if you will have many problems with rolling-stock, either?

Feel free to browse, no charge!
Many of us have skill's and talent's not always shouted-about, so do explore.. Please remember there is no such thing as a 'silly' question. - We even try not to make 'silly' answers.. Well, not until several options have been suggested, anyway. :)

Enjoy!
PhilP.

Caboose Charlie

Registered
19 Dec 2019
Scotland
tinyhousescotland.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers PhilP - much appreciated...and yes voltaics and leisure batteries had crossed my mind too but I think I will have plenty to do clearing leaf litter without worrying about live rails as well!