HGLW loco bash

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
After picking-up a Houston Gate Loco Works on eBay for a bargain price (as you all know, I'm a bit of a cheapskate!),
Screenshot 2024-02-22 095005.jpg
the first thing I did was to convert it from manual control to radio control - using a Deltang Rx65c which has been sitting in my spares drawer for a couple of years.

Here's the first RC run ......

As you can see from the video, my next stage will be to convert the body to something more like a conventional centre-cab diesel loco such as this one.....
Loco.jpg

I've started designing the parts I need in TinkerCad and printing them out
Tink bonnet.jpg

I'll keep you updated as to progress.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
BTW - I think my purchase was a bit of a bargain, cf......
PS loco ebay.jpg

Although it says it's RC, it says there's no handset with it and I'm not sure what RC it's using. Could that be an early Deltang or Micron receiver controller I see tucked away inside? .......

PS loco rc.jpg

Rik

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Micron MR603b I reckon?
The yellow motor-leads suggest it came from Andy..

PhilP

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A 2-wheel drive version of that HGLW steeplecab loco is only £31.95 as a brand new kit..........
......though the one you bought seems to have the "deluxe chassis" which pushes it up to £39.75.

I've used several of the 2 wheel drive basic chassis and they can actually pull quite a lot of stock behind them - i.e. 5 bogie Bachmann freight cars!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
A 2-wheel drive version of that HGLW steeplecab loco is only £31.95 as a brand new kit..........
......though the one you bought seems to have the "deluxe chassis" which pushes it up to £39.75.

I've used several of the 2 wheel drive basic chassis and they can actually pull quite a lot of stock behind them - i.e. 5 bogie Bachmann freight cars!
The Phil Sharples kit is £42 (an extra £3 if you want the 4wd pulley system). So, not far off in terms of compatibility. It depends, I suppose, on how much you would charge for having the kit assembled and painted. Clearly, the chap who sold me the HGLW loco assumed he should charge less than the cost of the kit for his finished loco, whereas Rails of Sheffield feel they should charge c£50 extra for having the kits constructed and painted.

They have another PS kitbuilt loco with receiver fitted (and no handset) going for the same price - same principle I suppose.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Two steps forward and one step back.

I decided to move the cab back by 15mm to tie in with the loco I'm using as my inspiration. This required quite a bit of hacking about with a razor saw and Stanley knife. The old body was rubbed down and I then glued on the bonnets and window frames and gave the body a couple of coats of Halfords plastic filler primer.
IMG_3778.JPG

So far, so good. However unfortunately, the primer reacted badly with whatever paint had been used previously ....

IMG_3781.JPGIMG_3780.JPG

This has happened before with other models I've bashed over the years. So, more filling and rubbing down required.

I was determined to keep as much of the original locos as I could (in true TV Repair Shop fashion), but I'm beginning to wonder if it might have been easier to 3D print the new body in its entirety. Such is life......:rolleyes:

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've now done a bit of remedial work.
DSCN3575.JPG

Most of the deeper crevasses have been filled and flatted, but there are still a few dints to be filled and a few hillocks to be smoothed off.
DSCN3577.JPG

DSCN3578.JPG

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
In the meantime, I've been painting some of the fittings for the cab
DSCN3572.JPG

Sorry about the major surgery on the driver, but it's the only way I can fit him in.

Rik

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear, he must have spent too long in The Railway Arms, to end up legless.

David

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Apart from the addition of couplings plus a bit more detailing and some minor tidying-up, the refurb is more or less complete.
S1880002.JPGS1880004.JPGS1880006.JPGS1880009.JPG

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've also installed a cheap soundcard from AliExpress. The engine note is supposed to follow the engine speed, but the servo output from the Deltang Rx65c seems to be adversely affected when the motor is connected. Not figured out why yet. I'll need to do some more tweaking.

I've got a couple of Micron MR603s on the way, so I might give one of them a try to see if its servo output performs better.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The loco does look good...

I will have to send you a couple of my UFOs to complete!

PhilP

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
BTW - here's the sound module I used (though it's risen in priced by £1 since I bought mine)

Rik
Ah, Philp might be able to help you - we had some issues with a cheapo sound module, and he developed a piece of electronic trickery to do the deed :nod::nod:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, Philp might be able to help you - we had some issues with a cheapo sound module, and he developed a piece of electronic trickery to do the deed :nod::nod:
Different problem, but we are talking here, and in another place..

PhilP

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I was asked on Youtube about the hauling capabilities of the loco. At the time, I had no idea. But I added couplings yesterday and so today did a highly sophisticated load test - basically adding wagons until the wheels just started slipping. It pulled 13 LGB skips plus a brake van. Far more than I will actually need in practice as James performs shunting duties at the sand quarry sidings.

Rik

Reactions: 1 user