HGLW kitbuild with Deltang rc

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Decided it was about time I built a simple diesel kit and installed basic Deltang rc. Most of the builds on my blog are quite complex by comparison so I thought I'd keep this one simple.

The kit cost around £40, plus the battery, wiring loom and Rx65 receiver (another £50 in total).
https://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/how-i-constructed-hglw-loco-kit-and.html

Still got to do some more detailing add couplings and a give her a final paint job, but this is the result of one day's work.

Rik

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Decided it was about time I built a simple diesel kit and installed basic Deltang rc. Most of the builds on my blog are quite complex by comparison so I thought I'd keep this one simple.

The kit cost around £40, plus the battery, wiring loom and Rx65 receiver (another £50 in total).
https://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/how-i-constructed-hglw-loco-kit-and.html

Still got to do some more detailing add couplings and a give her a final paint job, but this is the result of one day's work.

Rik
Nice build Rik, like the sound actually as well. Much like a Tram. Perhaps she could be like many modern views of traction and be a Battery Loco as in real Battery Loco, sound would be fine then.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
She's now emerged from the paint-shop and had a few more details added - couplings (yes, I know LGB couplings look $#!t , but they make shunting a lot easier - and they are comparatively cheap), buffers (courtesy of Binnie Engineering), radiator and grille (you can just make out the vertical tubes of the radiator behind the grille), exhaust pipe (a la Peldon - ie bits of copper tube and plastic rod), hand rails (bent brass rod and a couple of washers) and a driver (Jon's People).
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Will do a bit more detailing (eg inside the cab), add some nameplates and a number, do some weathering (I don't do ex-works pristine on my railway) and then she can enter service to potter around the sidings at the sawmill.

Rik

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Great little build!
As discussed at some length in another thread a couple of weeks back, nothing wrong with using LGB couplers - they may not be particularly attractive, but they WORK, which in my book is the most important thing.....

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Great little build!
As discussed at some length in another thread a couple of weeks back, nothing wrong with using LGB couplers - they may not be particularly attractive, but they WORK, which in my book is the most important thing.....

Jon.
Hi Jon
The do sit quite nicely under the Binnie buffers. They don't quite disappear, but they are less prominent.
Rik

Last edited:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks
The weekend weather afforded an opportunity to get out into the garden. Thought I'd give HGLW (temporary name) a chance to strut her stuff. Adds an extra dimension to shunting operations at Peckforton station. A few minor tweaks needed - a bit more weight and I need to widen the back-to-backs as she can slip down where the track gauge widens on some points to accommodate the point blades (see if you can spot her doing a neat little curtsey). Otherwise, pleased to see how well she performs.

Rik

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks
The weekend weather afforded an opportunity to get out into the garden. Thought I'd give HGLW (temporary name) a chance to strut her stuff. Adds an extra dimension to shunting operations at Peckforton station. A few minor tweaks needed - a bit more weight and I need to widen the back-to-backs as she can slip down where the track gauge widens on some points to accommodate the point blades (see if you can spot her doing a neat little curtsey). Otherwise, pleased to see how well she performs.

Rik
Lovely little vid Rik, shows nicely the way that a real railway should run. Note the time taken to just detach a few loaded wagons and attach some empties. The real thing used to do this all the time, now pretty much a historical view of things. Well not quite but nearly. Just so much more interesting than watching them go round and round and round. Though that is ok at times as well.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely little vid Rik, shows nicely the way that a real railway should run. Note the time taken to just detach a few loaded wagons and attach some empties. The real thing used to do this all the time, now pretty much a historical view of things. Well not quite but nearly. Just so much more interesting than watching them go round and round and round. Though that is ok at times as well.
Thanks Jon. Having an extra loco at Peckforton certainly adds operational interest - and I'm sure there are prototypical precedents as well. I might even consider using my Simplex as a shunting loco at the copper mine - though I maybe need to add another couple of sidings there to give it something to do.

Rik

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon. Having an extra loco at Peckforton certainly adds operational interest - and I'm sure there are prototypical precedents as well. I might even consider using my Simplex as a shunting loco at the copper mine - though I maybe need to add another couple of sidings there to give it something to do.

Rik
Not unusual to have an Industrial Pilot at an Industrial Siding that only had a small amount of work to do so no need to beat yourself up about it. Though of course if you desire to add more traffic, who am I to complain? Just thinking about the Cooper Mine you could have Pit Props, explosives, other stores in and perhaps Spoil out in different wagons to somewhere else perhaps for Road Surface Treating or even Block Making another location to think about? Or to your Main Interchange Station.

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks
...... Thought I'd give HGLW (temporary name) a chance to strut her stuff......
Rik
It's a little known fact that HGLW was a mythical Norse creature. Supposedly had a steel belly that scraped along the ground causing sparks. But best known for the noxious odours and blue vapours that were emitted from the breathing hole near its head.
o_O :D

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
It's a little known fact that HGLW was a mythical Norse creature. Supposedly had a steel belly that scraped along the ground causing sparks. But best known for the noxious odours and blue vapours that were emitted from the breathing hole near its head.
o_O :D

:clap:
Actually, when I type hglw into google it offers me something in Arabic script. Just tried Google Translate and hgl translates from Arabic to mean 'partition'. It auto detects hglw as Welsh which then translates into ........ hglw! So maybe it's a breed of Welsh dragon?

Rik

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So............
Nameplates in Arabic script?? Or 'Idris' (the little dragon from Ivor the Engine!)??
:think::):):)

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
:clap:
Actually, when I type hglw into google it offers me something in Arabic script. Just tried Google Translate and hgl translates from Arabic to mean 'partition'. It auto detects hglw as Welsh which then translates into ........ hglw! So maybe it's a breed of Welsh dragon?

Rik
Oh I forgot about Welsh. Surely if would be HGGLLW ?