Hello need help with cheddar IVER STEAM TRAIN

June williams

Registered
1 Jul 2020
Codsall Wolverhampton
Best answers
Son died unable to find instructions for Cheddar IVER and do not know anything about how it works have found a remote control system does this belong with it Ranger // N I AM 78 AND HAVE RESET TRACK AND HAVE HIS ELECTRIC TRAINS RUNNING INCLUDDING HIS AMTRACK BUT I HAVE NO IDEA ON HIS STEAM AND NEED INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE JUNE

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, so sorry to hear about the loss of your son.
The best thing you can do is get in touch with your local engineering society or model railway club, or if you can find out if therespecially a local 16mm Association group near you
[/URL]
Steam engines can be a bit tricky to masterwithout instructions, but you will need some Butane gas, distilled water or similar and your hair out of the wayear. But I really strongly recommend finding a group to show you the ropes.

jimmytrains_0

Registered
16 Dec 2009
Ealing
Best answers
Country flag
with the ranger control is there a small rectangular peice on the front with CH and a number and is there this same number on the Iver - mine is CH83 running in 40hz, dont worry about the number as long as it matches. There is also a colour board and chart from model aircraft and each CH number had a colour or stripe or both. Very important not to run on same frequency or your radio wave phone in the old days:giggle:.
On older models you may have a colour Blue this will match your loco.
Hope this helps a little.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think that June may need some slightly more basic information. Sorry to hear about your son June.

First the loco will need some batteries typically 4aa as with the Transmitter (Radio Control) which sounds like the Ranger you talk of, this will need 6-8aa. Make sure that you load them correct, they tend to go in alternate ways round but do check as there are + and - signs to help you.

In the Loco there will be a small switch Typically under the bit where the driver stands (cab) and on the Transmitter. Turn them both on Transmitter first, if the Servo (a small motor on the loco) does not make a noise turn the switch on the loco the other way.

I think if you can at least see that the Radio Control is working fine then everything else is likely to be good as well.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
But this is a live steam loco, so getting the boiler to work is going to email the difficult part

jimmytrains_0

Registered
16 Dec 2009
Ealing
Best answers
Country flag
if you can't open the regulator when getting up steam, it is a waste of time and effort and may lose the excitement of learning a new experience. Everyone's comments are correct from their own experiences.
I tried to answer the question for the hand controller that was found.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
if you can't open the regulator when getting up steam, it is a waste of time and effort and may lose the excitement of learning a new experience. Everyone's comments are correct from their own experiences.
I tried to answer the question for the hand controller that was found.
Sorry, I didn't mean to disparage your remarks, you are certainly correct, but if the lady is struggling with live steam, it would be better for her to be shown the ropes as it were.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I guess I think we need to know if June is looking for a new hobby or wanting to dispose the trains.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
June,
Sorry for your loss..

Was your son a member of either the G Scale Society, or the Association of 16mm Railway Modellers? - The latter certainly have members who can help with disposal of a collection, if that should be your wish?

If you want to get the railway / loco's running again, did your Son have any friends who shared his interest in model railways? - Approcahing them, will probably find you someone local who can help you either way?

There is a local group of the G Scale Society who would normally meet at Codsall Wood, and members garden's during the year. - Obviously, not presently.

I would contact the G Scale Society, and they will put you in touch with the South Staffordshire group who meet at Codsall Wood:

I am sure there will be a 16mm Association presence in the area also? - Anybody have details??

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
June,
Sorry for your loss..

Was your son a member of either the G Scale Society, or the Association of 16mm Railway Modellers? - The latter certainly have members who can help with disposal of a collection, if that should be your wish?

If you want to get the railway / loco's running again, did your Son have any friends who shared his interest in model railways? - Approcahing them, will probably find you someone local who can help you either way?

There is a local group of the G Scale Society who would normally meet at Codsall Wood, and members garden's during the year. - Obviously, not presently.

I would contact the G Scale Society, and they will put you in touch with the South Staffordshire group who meet at Codsall Wood:

I am sure there will be a 16mm Association presence in the area also? - Anybody have details??
I would have thought the Hampton Loade Paddock Group would be a good as any.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry for your loss. I would strongly recommend that you contact the 16 mm NGM Narrow Gauge Railways in your Garden - Association of 16mm Narrow Gauge Modellers via their membership secretary. They can put you in touch with the area group nearestor most suitable for you. However in the current situation any meetings are having to be held under the social distancing regulations which is limiting the number of attendees at any meeting. I'm pretty sure the membership secretary owns an example of the loco you are enquiring about. Otherwise PM me as there is a very good service engineer, who would be familiar with this product, based not to far from you in Warwick, they could check it over and advise you whichever way you wish to proceed. Max