Hello from sunny Weymouth in Dorset

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
Hi I am Derek and have recently acquired a new BR 80 and a second hand GE 45 Ton Side Rod Diesel. Both have been converted to LIPO and RC. I have had electronics as a hobby for years. My loft layout was put in boxes years ago but the domestic authorities have recently granted permission for a Garden layout. A temporary oval on old pallets is now in a corner of the back garden. This will soon be replaced with decking supported with garden fence posts as the present arrangement is not really level enough for my liking... Rolling stock consists of two green tank wagons, one Box van (including a camera) and a newly acquired Claribel coach which is at the start of being "improved". The number of questions keeps on multiplying in my befuddled mind so the forums here look like being a great way to move forward!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I am Derek and have recently acquired a new BR 80 and a second hand GE 45 Ton Side Rod Diesel. Both have been converted to LIPO and RC. I have had electronics as a hobby for years. My loft layout was put in boxes years ago but the domestic authorities have recently granted permission for a Garden layout. A temporary oval on old pallets is now in a corner of the back garden. This will soon be replaced with decking supported with garden fence posts as the present arrangement is not really level enough for my liking... Rolling stock consists of two green tank wagons, one Box van (including a camera) and a newly acquired Claribel coach which is at the start of being "improved". The number of questions keeps on multiplying in my befuddled mind so the forums here look like being a great way to move forward!
Welcombe Derek, is Weymouth really sunny at the moment?
Anyway you'll probably find all the answers here. Well done on getting started, the pallet idea seems sound, also a very quick way of trying out your tack plan.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Derek!

I must assume it is a little warmer were you are, than the frozen interior where I am? :);)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the fund of all knowledge and at some times confusion Derek. You have found the right place.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, and ask away without questions as there’s many differently ways of buildings a garden railway

Dan

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Derek....

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
Thanks everyone - Weymouth has liquid sunshine at the moment!! Still that doesn't seem to have stopped the painting/tinkering indoors! Will be brave and post about a problem soon... Will look for the right place first...

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, get something down quick and start playing testing. It's a bit like getting your first computer - if I'd have known that then, I'd have done so and so ...................

So temporary's a good place to start.

The GE 45 tonner is a good work horse which is fairly frugal on battery usage - I have one running on Ni-Mh and have just fitted a Mylocosound sound card which is pretty OK :cool::cool::cool::cool:. It is quite large because it's modelled at 1:20.3 and was a GE 'catalogue' standard loco that was sold for a variety of gauges from around 2'-6" to 5'-3". Set it against a standard gauge carriage at 1:20.3 (American F scale) and it looks tiny :eek:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Derek

My wife and I will be coming to Weymouth, a week on Sunday, for a two night break staying at the Rembrandt Hotel. Not too bothered about the liquid sunshine as they have a very impressive indoor swimming pool, we have stayed there before. The 17th will be the 48th anniversary of my 21st Birthday so, in the evening, we will be off to a favourite Indian Restaurant for a celebratory Captain Belly Buster Special. Also looking forward to a lunchtime pint in one of your quayside pubs.

David

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Derek. I've not been to Weymouth since the summer of 2012 - did a week on the Olympic park & ride service to Monkeys Jump at Dorchester. That was money for old rope. I only did 19 return trips in 7 days and carried a total of 31 passengers. Eight of my journeys I travelled empty! Two of the original four P&R sites closed after a couple of days as no-one turned up.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Only been to Weymouth once about a couple or three years ago, when my good lady and I were on holiday staying in Swanage.

We went to Portland Bill lighthouse, but I remember getting stuck in traffic by the bascule bridge. Looks like a nice place to stay one of these days....

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
ebay Mike - I remember watching those buses going past empty! David 1226 enjoy your trip here! Gizzy Weymouth traffic is notorious esp. in Summer! Rhinochugger I have started a conversation with you about the GE siderod...

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum from a very damp Somerset.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
You did right by starting small, but I'm sure you have a large railway empire in you head! Welcome.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Only been to Weymouth once about a couple or three years ago, when my good lady and I were on holiday staying in Swanage.

We went to Portland Bill lighthouse, but I remember getting stuck in traffic by the bascule bridge. Looks like a nice place to stay one of these days....
We stayed in the Youth Hostel on Portland last September, you're right in the summer the traffics horrendous

Reactions: 1 user

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
Welcome to the forum from a very damp Somerset.
Thanks - Murky here too! What a friendly welcome from you and everyone else!!!!

Derek G

Registered
3 Feb 2019
Weymouth
Best answers
We stayed in the Youth Hostel on Portland last September, you're right in the summer the traffics horrendous
It can be dodgy this time of year too! I try and avoid the Esplanade altogether between Easter and September!!!