Hello from Singapore

dalkhaw

Registered
5 Oct 2020
Singapore
Best answers
Hi All
Glad to join this forum. I have been collecting some LGB locos since 2011 and kept them in storage. Now I finally have a chance to bring them out with a possibility of running them on my roof-top balcony in my new home. Model trains have a small following in Singapore and hardly any in G-gauge! I have to buy everything from abroad. I am keen to convert to DCC and hope to install my 1st project using a LGB 2076, and then followed by a Stainz. Sound, smoke & lights included! I am busy scouring sites on decoder installation. I have already ordered a Piko based controller. I will probably use Zimo decoders (please don't ask me why....). I hope to learn as much as possible in this forum. Appreciate if there are any of you who wants to 'mentor' me.

Thank you.

Best regards
daniel

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, nice place Singapore.....

DSCF4113.JPG

Raffles Hotel, of course.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Daniel, see that you are thinking about a chip in a Stainz. Good luck with that they are pigs to get apart, bits of plastic like pipe the sI’ve type thing in one side need to be unplugged plus others and the two tiny screws taken out that hold part of the valve gear just in front of the coal bins. Then when you think all is apart there is the bottom of the boiler to release another pig of a job with two screwdrivers to press out the lug. Oh before you get to that the cab does not like to slide up either.

Still you may be lucky and have a really old one that has a W wire setup, these are easier to get apart but you do need to do some surgery inside the chassis to split the motor / common pickup to 2 wires. Have fun and enjoy!

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Daniel. There's lots of advice about everything on here, but remember it's a hobby so enjoy your trains, don't rush into expensive make-overs before you have a chance to use your gear

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC! Lots of very useful knowledge and experience to be found on here - just ask anything you want to know, and someone will probably have an answer for you! :)

Jon.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Daniel,
Welcome on board. I have been to Singapore a few times, business and pleasure, mostly short stopovers, but I've always enjoyed my stays.

You have a lot of mentors here, I'm sure any question you ask will get sensible answers.

Ref your 2076 project, I am currently converting a 21761 to DCC which is basically the same loco. I am documenting this in a current thread. But if you are new to DCC you might think about getting a DCC ready loco, one already fitted with a decoder, as a starting point. Having said that it's not too hard if you like taking things apart and putting them back together again, and have some basic electrical/ electronic knowledge!

dalkhaw

Registered
5 Oct 2020
Singapore
Best answers
Hi Dave. Thank you for reaching out. I just test run my 2076 with analog DC. My digital unit has not arrived. Only the lights came on but the motor did not turn. Will have to find out what happened. I am looking forward to your completion of your thread. Please send me a link when it is ready. Thanks again.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
If your loco is on the track and lights come on but no motor that suggestions either loose connection between power pickups and the motor (likely) or the motor is bust (unlikely). Can you give us details of your analog DC setup, like make model of transformer and controller please. Also was the 2076 loco sold to you as working or is it a restoration job?

dalkhaw

Registered
5 Oct 2020
Singapore
Best answers
If your loco is on the track and lights come on but no motor that suggestions either loose connection between power pickups and the motor (likely) or the motor is bust (unlikely). Can you give us details of your analog DC setup, like make model of transformer and controller please. Also was the 2076 loco sold to you as working or is it a restoration job?
I am using an old LGB 51030 transformer controller. The voltage coming out is fine, up to 22V at max setting measured with my multi-meter. I ran my Stainz earlier with no issues. I am moving house this weekend. I will check the 2076 after I move and keep you updated. Thanks again.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Dan !

dalkhaw

Registered
5 Oct 2020
Singapore
Best answers
Hi Miller - I found out why. There is a 3-position switch inside the cab. I turned it on and the engine ran. :rofl:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Miller - I found out why. There is a 3-position switch inside the cab. I turned it on and the engine ran. :rofl:

A result! ;)

The switch is there (in most LGB locos except the very old ones) so that if you are running DC, you can park a loco up somewhere on the layout and switch it off while running other stuff, without having to have an isolating section of track.
When you fit DCC to a loco, the switch is normally bypassed (or in some cases removed completely) as it no longer serves any real function when you have DCC control over your layout.

Jon.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Good news.
FYI Miller is my family name, Dave is my first name. No-one has called me Miller since I left grammar school in 1972! :)
I was Miller Minor for a while as my elder brother attended the same school. Just as well my name wasn't Morris.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Daniel....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Daniel!
Congratulations! - You fixed your first 'fault'! :):nod::nod:

Don't get too stressed with the move. - We will 'see' you on the other side.

PhilP
(That is I am another Phil, there are several, so use the initial letter of my family-name as well)

dalkhaw

Registered
5 Oct 2020
Singapore
Best answers
A result! ;)

The switch is there (in most LGB locos except the very old ones) so that if you are running DC, you can park a loco up somewhere on the layout and switch it off while running other stuff, without having to have an isolating section of track.
When you fit DCC to a loco, the switch is normally bypassed (or in some cases removed completely) as it no longer serves any real function when you have DCC control over your layout.

Jon.
Thank you Jon. You have helped me understand a few more things on the purpose of the switch and what happens to it when I install a decoder. :)

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Daniel, welcome to the forum, you certainly seem to be make good use of the knowledge contained here, but some photos would be nice :)

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have installed over 100 Zimo decoders in engines, and have programmed them as well as loaded the special projects. Feel free to contact me for questions.
I am in the USA East coast (New York city) time zone.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I will try to find your profile and send you my email address