Hello from Scarning, Norfolk

Tony Howard

Registered
27 Oct 2016
Scarning, Dereham, Norfolk
Best answers
Hello from Scarning, the dead centre of Norfolk. I run mainly Bachmann stock and have two r/c locos, saves on track cleaning. As we could be moving soon, staying in the Norwich area, dismantling will be starting soon. Hopefully mistakes made will not be repeated when I come to rebuild and everything will be perfect. Do I hear pigs and flying mentioned?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Tony!

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hello and welcome from the North West corner of Norfolk :hi::hi::hi:

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Tony in the middle of nowhere from Mike on the edge of nowhere. There's four of us in Norfolk now that I know of but we are well scattered. Things are looking up - we'll be getting a motorway inthe county next!

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tony and all in Norfolk. Have a friend living in a massive former Farm House just outside of Dereham. Have the offer to stay when I like, would be lovely to meet some of you guys perhaps next year? Can bring Live Steam SloMo Roundhouse and Battery Aristo Sound Locomotives. So no Track Cleaning required!
JonD

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I am reminded of Bernard Matthews', of the turkey fame, original and most unsuccessful advertising slogan.......... 'Norfolk an' good '.......

David

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I am reminded of Bernard Matthews', of the turkey fame, original and most unsuccessful advertising slogan.......... 'Norfolk an' good '.......

David[/QUOTE
Bernard Matthews is not 'flavour of the month' due to the administration package put together when the company was sold last month. Many local businesses appear to have lost a considerable amount of money as unsecured creditors. There is also a sizeable hole in the pension fund. I expect job security is on many employees minds.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Tony.....:party:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

Though I am not sure if 'scarning Norfolk' is a place, or a derogatory comment on the locality!
;):giggle::giggle:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

Though I am not sure if 'scarning Norfolk' is a place, or a derogatory comment on the locality!
;):giggle::giggle:
Reminds me of the tale about the Heron, the Norfolk name for it being a Harnser.

Nobody knows how this name came about, but one suggestion is that a city gent, down from London, saw the bird, and said to a local booey,

'I say, what's that bird?

To which the man replied'

'It's a Harn, sir'

NFN

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Aha - saw the sign to Scarning today, on our way over to the east to visit ebay Mike >:)>:)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Aha - saw the sign to Scarning today, on our way over to the east to visit ebay Mike >:)>:)

That would be 'the far east' then? - Any farther east, and you need webbed feet!
:giggle::giggle::giggle:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, from out in the sticks in Kent. Several miles from anywhere!

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, from out in the sticks in Kent. Several miles from anywhere!
But at least you have motorways not too far away. From here it's 101.8 miles to the M11 and takes about a fortnight by bullock cart. The locals are still making bangles out of the telephone wires. The sun arrives at this side first in the morning after Europe has finished with it. It's almost blinding when there's no cloud about leading to much squinting of the eyes which only supports the 'far east' tag.

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from the far west of Europe.We get the sun when everybody else has finished with it - so it can be rather watered down!

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from the far west of Europe.We get the sun when everybody else has finished with it - so it can be rather watered down!
'Tis a pity we can't tag something on to it as it disappears across the pond Mick. It would make shipping to the USA considerably cheaper. Then perhaps they could actually sell stuff to us - although it would have to come 'the long way round'.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I reckon email to the States takes 'the long way round'..
Allowing for them being 5 hours behind, you would think they could answer an email they would have got as soon as they fired up the machine!
Don't think they are really interested in piddling small overseas orders..

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Just noticed the topic. Welcome from another Norfolk resident, we are beside the river near to Potter Heigham. I don't know Scarning but like Rhinochugger I have noticed the signs from the A47. We are also in a long drawn out process of moving our main abode nearer to Norwich.

Paul

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
That's only fair, after all you get all the rain from the Atlantic before we do! :)

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
That's only fair, after all you get all the rain from the Atlantic before we do! :)

It's one of our contributions to the EU, and, to be honest, if there was a way to send the clouds unopened, we would gladly send them all 'as made' without testing!:D

Reactions: 1 users