Hello from Kansas City, Missouri

ToddMIZKC5

Registered
18 Feb 2023
Kansas City, Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
I probably didn’t do it right because I didn’t start here, but, I already found some great insight looking around these forums and admittedly my train isn't in a beautiful garden, but I am a recent addict no less. I built a platform when my kids were toddlers, with a small LGB starter set - woke up one night and they are all grown up and here I am like an 8 year old all fascinated with this train again…I guess it was really for me all along - they weren’t going to stay here forever thank goodness - ha.

It took some cleaning and time to get it all running again - and removing some of the binds I had put the track under to get it to work the first time.

Then I started looking and wanted more cars. I happened along an estate sale and now have 2 engines running - although, hoping to get it to balance soon - so, one doesn’t roll over the other…

I have had the engines fly once or twice already - can’t afford to many of those times happen again… I read somewhere that locomotives can’t fly.

Regardless, here to say “Hi!”

Enjoy a couple photos:

2 rooms / 12’x12’ connected through the hallway ( I can remember when I told my wife that I was going to put holes in our hall) - about 105’ of total track. 2 engines running, but there is some drag on the power - it’s a tight run in the hallway but they make it without running into each other…it took several passes to fix that!

But - it’s still fun.

Have a great day!

2FD751B8-7344-4EF9-96DC-588A6BC7BE9D.jpegCCCB0B7C-917B-4496-9250-D8E39379FB4C.jpeg2C2FC78A-17C1-44CA-8B26-CD90EBD98885.jpeg5F74E12C-3EB5-49AC-9E98-DF5DDAEFE7E1.jpeg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from the UK. A nice start but guard rails of some sort would be a good further step, as you say, locos don't fly (well, other than sooner or later downwards).

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I agree and that was the first thing I thought when I saw your pictures. Hey Toto I think we ain't in Kansas any mo.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Todd? A possible solution so that you can still see the trains may be a 3-4 inch strip of perspex plastic glass to the front if there is room, but things do look a little bit tight to me.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Todd, and interesting set-up, and each to their own. Look forward to hearing more about your railway.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Todd, at least you won't be a slave to the weather whilst testing you trains. How do you keep it all clean?

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes you wouldn't need much to keep your trains up there.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Todd.

It's been a long time since I was in KCS, must be 20 years ago....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Todd!
Just be aware of 'us Brits'! The dodgy humour, and puns..

Oh! We also speak the same, but different!

Enjoy your trains!

PhilP

ToddMIZKC5

Registered
18 Feb 2023
Kansas City, Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Hey Thanks All! I am considering options to add a guardrail - it would have to be clear, otherwise, it hides the train.

Looking forward to enhancing my project.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes or some sort of string with strong posts might do as well. Clear plastic yellows and needs cleaning over time just like teeth.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes or some sort of string with strong posts might do as well. Clear plastic yellows and needs cleaning over time just like teeth.
Not sure string would restrain a derailed and falling train. Good quality, clear acrylic stays clear and is quite strong, but not cheat, but then this hobby is not cheap :)

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Are you concerned about the trains being damaged if they fall or injury to a person below? If only the latter then maybe you could just put some perspex guard over doorways and passageways and leave the rest clear. How long has it been running without a guard and no mishap? Just trying to gauge the risk.

ToddMIZKC5

Registered
18 Feb 2023
Kansas City, Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Generally I run the train a few times a day for myself - and show it off otherwise. Low risk of a derailment and low risk of falling on a person. I maintain a reasonable speed. I don’t turn it on and leave the room for any length of time…I have had one instance of a loco falling and broke a headlamp, but that was during the build and not paying attention :). I am not overly concerned where it’s at right now. Fun to watch. Really my biggest challenge is keeping the 2 locomotives from catching each other - and it’s random at any given day when one locomotive is faster than the other - kinda weird - but I am not an electrician - I am sure there’s a reason…. But, it takes ~20 round trips before it becomes an issue ( approx. 30 minutes, approx. 1:45 mins per lap ) - so, not really an issue. Just manually stop one for a moment and let the other get far away…

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Well sounds pretty safe to me. As Marvel says G gauge the risk. And that risk looks pretty small now to me.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
There is a model train store in Toronto and it runs open ..elevated like yours that I just thought of ..8 hours a day 7 days a week. No issues tgat I know of.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Generally I run the train a few times a day for myself - and show it off otherwise. Low risk of a derailment and low risk of falling on a person. I maintain a reasonable speed. I don’t turn it on and leave the room for any length of time…I have had one instance of a loco falling and broke a headlamp, but that was during the build and not paying attention :). I am not overly concerned where it’s at right now. Fun to watch. Really my biggest challenge is keeping the 2 locomotives from catching each other - and it’s random at any given day when one locomotive is faster than the other - kinda weird - but I am not an electrician - I am sure there’s a reason…. But, it takes ~20 round trips before it becomes an issue ( approx. 30 minutes, approx. 1:45 mins per lap ) - so, not really an issue. Just manually stop one for a moment and let the other get far away…
Back in the 90’s when at a Garden Railway open day in Florida a lady was driving 3 trains round a loop that circumnavigated the garden outside of an indoor swimming pool. There were Isolating sections on the line and her main task was stopping locomotives at isolating sections to keep the trains apart. I presume that you have some isolation sections for a similar task on your high line?

As for locomotive catching up there are many things that can affect the speed, slightly older locomotive, different wheel sizes, different locomotive types even 2 locomotives of the same type bought together could have slightly different speed profiles though you would think they should not.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
When I was into ho scale. I had a 4 yard section on the main line that was isolated with its own power source. I used that staging area to stop or slow down a train to prevent trains catching up and colliding. The magic of track power.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Look into the G Scale Graphics site, they have a system where the locos will not bump into each other... you will see this function listed on this page: