Hello from Edmonton

Ralph60Edm

Registered
4 Feb 2022
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I'm a brand new member of this forum. My current situation is I'm newly retired and looking to start a garden railway project. I will be reviewing old conversations and threads to educate myself. My plan is to have the basic layout built by end of summer 2023.

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there ....there is an Edmonton in UK too. That was my first guess. I am just getting started too. I sold ho steam engine to a guy from Edmonton few months ago and we still keep in touch. People here are very nice and helpful. I have been to your nice city.

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome on board. I don't know how you will resist having a G scale starter set running somewhere before summer '23!

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ya that is what I thought too. Once I get my engine in 2 weeks I will be running it on stretched out paperclips if I have to.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Ralph!
Beware of the corny British humour!

Read-up first..
Ask questions, keep it simple, to start with.. Definitely try to avoid grades, keep an eye on the level across the track. - Especially on curves and turnouts.
Try to avoid using LGB R1 curves (if you have the space) - especially, if you want to run US / Can outline consists.

Don't be too ambitious. - This is an expensive, time-consuming hobby!
Beware! Once you get something running, the work-rate has a habit of dropping. ;):D

Most of all...
Enjoy!

PhilP.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from the UK, Ralph.

Wise advice here from PhilP. I must admit when I saw your timeline my first thought was, "How long can it take to lay out a basic oval, even if you include a runaround and a siding?"

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from the UK, Ralph.

Wise advice here from PhilP. I must admit when Isaw your timeline my first thought was, "How long can it take to lay out a basic oval, even if you include a runaround and a siding?"
Midday, and 11C in Edmonton...

But that is - 11C!

So a little chilly, for moving dirt, and laying track.. :eek::oops::shake::shake:

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
It is called winter. It is minus 7 in Sarnia right now. Minus 12 in Edmonton minus 2 in Houston .tx.( I did not see your post Ralph when I put mine down...great minds think alike)
. Winter Wonderlandddd

Attachments

• 20220204_145953_HDR.jpg
    20220204_145953_HDR.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
But that is - 11C!
So a little chilly, for moving dirt, and laying track.. :eek::oops::shake::shake:
Here in E Ont, we're at -10C, so relatively tropical :sweating:.
However, moving dirt would require dynamite :mad:. And/or a jackhammer.
There are other outdoor railroaders out your way, but my decaying grey cells cannot bring up names :think:. Google can be your friend.

Ralph60Edm

Registered
4 Feb 2022
Best answers
Country flag

But that is - 11C!

Actually, -11C in February is typical, even on the mild side. We have severe winter here from November to March. There is no chance of running trains, let alone building. My interest is very much in the building of the layout. In my region there are numerous, long and high wooden trestles. In my work I would drive under the Rochfort Bridge weekly, at 750 meters long it's pretty impressive. (google it :) ) I would like to draw on my model making experience and build similar. My plan is to work on models in the winter, plan and then build. I have a large section of my yard that I'm re-landscaping so preliminary work on the railroad will be done in conjunction with the landscaping. I think my timeline is accurate. I will also purchase a starter set-up and run it indoors to discover my preferences etc. before I commit to a layout outside.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Ralph, just retired huh. If you can think about a raised railway. Bit more on construction but so much easier as you get older. Have a look at my links below.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I am retired too. 2 years next month and still have nightmares of the place. Something to consider when building my railway cus in 20 years I could be in an institution walking around in diapers. :)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Ralph

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm a brand new member of this forum. My current situation is I'm newly retired and looking to start a garden railway project. I will be reviewing old conversations and threads to educate myself. My plan is to have the basic layout built by end of summer 2023.
Yep, and there was me thinking you were in north London :oops:

Looking forward to seeing the pictures >:)

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I am retired too. 2 years next month and still have nightmares of the place.. :)
I know how you feel. I can remember how after I had retired, sometimes on a Sunday evening the thought, "Work tomorrow" would flash into my mind and suddenly the world seemed a darker place. But it was nice a fraction of a second later when reality dawned again.

Edited 05/02/22, 16:15, to remove repetition.

Last edited:

Ralph60Edm

Registered
4 Feb 2022
Best answers
Country flag
I know how you feel. I can remember how after I, after I had retired, sometimes on a Sunday evening the thought, "Work tomorrow" would flash into my mind and suddenly the world seemed a darker place. But it was nice a fraction of a second later when reality dawned again.
I had the same feeling one weekend, so I went into my bosses office first thing Monday morning and told him that I retired. That was it, no notice, just done. Best thing I ever did, now instead of building oil refineries I get to build my railroad!

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I worked in a hospital doing just about everything except open surgery for 40 years. It was not the patients that made me quit it was the staff in my own department. In my line of work they expected me to have direct contact with covid patients at 59.5 so I told them I am out of here.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I know how you feel. I can remember how after I had retired, sometimes on a Sunday evening the thought, "Work tomorrow" would flash into my mind and suddenly the world seemed a darker place. But it was nice a fraction of a second later when reality dawned again.

Edited 05/02/22, 16:15, to remove repetition.
How life moves on.

Sunday night used to be when you went to bed at a sensible hour, ready to face the world of work for the rest of the week.

Now, Sunday night is when you relax, and stay up late even longer, ready to lie in for the rest of the week :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the GSC madhouse, Ralph.... :)

Jon.