Hello from Deerfield, IL USA

kbutler6il

Registered
29 Dec 2022
DEERFIELD
Best answers
Country flag
I own an LGB starter set with a Stainz and I am hoping to learn and repair the front, interior and rear locomotive lights.
Thanks,
Kevin

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Kevin!

Do you have a model number on the underside of you loco?
Perhaps also a gold sticker with a 6-digit number?

Those details will help us identify the age of your model, and the type/rating of the lights.

Is it a digital (DCC) set?

Have you tried different positions of the switch in the cab?

PhilP.

kbutler6il

Registered
29 Dec 2022
DEERFIELD
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Kevin!

Do you have a model number on the underside of you loco?
Perhaps also a gold sticker with a 6-digit number?

Those details will help us identify the age of your model, and the type/rating of the lights.

Is it a digital (DCC) set?

Have you tried different positions of the switch in the cab?

PhilP.
Hi PhilP,
White stamped number is 20211. Gold sticker is 901028. I do not think it is digital. I only use the original power converter with an analog dial.image_67193345.JPG The bulbs I am using are 5 volt plug in. I've been told this model does not have the 3 way control switch under the boiler door in the cab, although there is a cutout for it. Wheels are metal. Rails connecting the wheels are plastic. Number 3 on side of cab.

From another forum, www.mylargescale.com, user Piercedandan gave me this information after I incorrectly reported 001028 off the gold sticker. The year 1998 does coincide with when I received the trainset from my father as a gift in 1998 or 1999:
"The 001028 is a date code in the format of YDDMMY. Day is always 01, so this represents 2008 February.
20211 is the LGB part number and was manufactured after lgb went into 'receivership'.

Possibly the leading 0 is wrong and this is really 1998 which makes more sense as the 30th anniversary set was made 1996 to 1998.

Originally sold in the 30th anniversary set (73968) with the cars carrying 6 pieces of track.
This engine did not have the 3 way switch and the rear power plug was a dummy and the cab number was 3."

My goal is to get lights working and learn if and how I can get smoke and sound on this unit.

Thanks,
Kevin

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. You appear to have nailed the loco identity correctly, year sounds about correct. Lights should be working, have you tried testing the new bulbs before inserting? It can be quite tricky getting the bulbs in place, I assume they are the type with 2 prongs or are they screw fit bulbs? Smoke unfits can be a bit of an issue and have been known to burn out, but yours could just have a loose wire. Has the loco ever been taken apart? Not the easiest of jobs, even trickier to put back together. If you were brave enough to have a go you could then test out the smoke unit or at best check the wires are unbroken. Link below to Stainz breakdown, though an older model the parts are pretty similar. I used this when pulling a similar Stainz to bits.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I added smoke and a digital decoder with sound to my #3 loco. Sound makes a huge difference to me. Except for the smoke I put the other parts in the cab.

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
Is it analog or DCC? (i.e. is thee a decoder in it or is it the original Unit?

I suspect it is analog which would suggest that it is bulbs. In analog there is not much to it. Diodes control which light goes on based on the polarity of the power supplied to the track. When the polarity is such that the train is moving forward, the diodes will allow current to flow to the front light and block the current to the rear light. If the train in moving in reverse, than the current flows to the rear light and not the front.

I did not see a cab light, but if there is one, the typical mode of operation is the cab is always on. In analog, the lights will grow brighter as the speed increases.

Replacements here or on the internet: LGB E130121 (68501) Screw Bulbs, Yellow, 18 Volt, 10 piece

BTW, I am in Pennsylvania.

David Palmeter

Fun in the Central Hoosier Flatlands
7 Dec 2017
Noblesville IN
palmeter.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neighbor!

Welcome to the Forum, a great place to learn a lot about Large Scale Model Railroading as well as British humor and a language that is somewhat similar to Midwestern USA English, but occasionally heads down a truly unfamiliar track! Enjoy!!

I live in Noblesville, northeast suburb of Indianapolis. I see you are north of Chicago. I lived in Homewood for 2 plus years in the '70's. We enjoyed the tourist life while we were there, had a great time. The big bonus for me was riding the Illinois Central commuter train to work in downtown Chicago every day. Some of the old electric "rattlers" from 1926 were still in use but being replaced by new double-decker Highliners. It was great to ride through an Illinois Central rail yard twice a day!

David

A train of the 1926 cars:

1960Rattler49224804473_a1c3d76b06_b.jpg

The Highliners introduced in the early '70's

Highliner124-3221a.jpg