Hello from Andreas, Berlin – I’m glad to be here!

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve been watching G scale central a while and I got lots of inspirations – Thank you!! – so now a membership was more than overdue and I hope I can contribute a bit to this nice forum...

I started as kid with HO and HOe, but the 1:1 scale was always the ultimate experience when I remember the early 80’s of regular steam operation with ÖBB 399 in the Waldviertel region…

So I decided to make my fireman licence at the Harzquerbahn when it was still Deutsche Reichsbahn, followed by the licence to drive steam and diesel engines. I was member of various heritage railways. Why 65 1057? This is currently my favorite steam loco which still needs some major overhaul. My Avatar picture show me cleaning the ash pan of the GR 20 from the Mansfeld Mining Railway – re-decorated as 99 1401 (incl. weight brake rope) as it was on duty on the “Pollo” NG railway for their 25th club anniversary.

When my house was build and the garden was halfways ready I convinced my wife with the wonderful idea to carry some cappuccinos and cocktails with a garden railway from the kitchen patio directly to their deck chair… so I got her approval for the current layout.

I started as a typical German DCC 45mm track powered LGB user (99 6001 and V52 Diesel), later I was attracted by the larger 1:20,3 scale of US NG railways (Bachmann Connie & Climax), and since last year I’m more and more interested in the British NG world. Now I have difficulties to decide which lineside detailing I really want - currently everything is still more or less “generic” w/o houses, signaling etc. We will see…

Reactions: 4 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Andreas!
Your background is very interesting, as you have done "for real" what so many of us can only do as models.....;)
We have a few German members on here, and it is always good to welcome another from the Land of LGB!
Enjoy your time spent on here, ask any questions you want, and I apologise in advance for our sometimes odd and very British sense of humour...... :rofl:

Jon.

Last edited:

65 1057

9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you, Zerogee! The sense of humor was one of the biggest motivators for me to join the group...

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Andreas.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you, Zerogee! The sense of humor was one of the biggest motivators for me to join the group...

oh, oh...
while we like the British humour, you'll find out, that they simply can't understand German humour...

and, if you don't know yet: the last incarnation of this forum was called "G-scale mad".

be welcome!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
g-scale mad is a very apt description for most of us. Welcome Andreas. I'm a fan of 750/760mm narrow gauge steam and diesel, starting in Austria but currently moving northwards via Saxony to the Baltic Sea! :)

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Andreas, welcome to the forum!!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome! We used to live in Charlottenburg, and I was a member of the BSN Heros Shooting Club! Happy Days!

tac
OVGRS
POCRR - Eastern Sub

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Andreas! Don't forget, we like pictures

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hello :) and welcome to the madness

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
!
Very British sense of humour...... :rofl:

Jon.

To understand the British, you first must understand Cricket.
Once that is grasped, you've then got those blasted Colonials to deal with.

Welcome.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard. We would love some pictures..

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome! You don't have to be mad - but it helps!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Andreas, my line is based on the Selktalbahn not too far from you but in the days I first remember it 1981. If you watch my Vid linked below you may recognise some scenes and also see the terrible lidertues that I have taken with that wonderful line.

Would be good to see more pictures of your line, perhaps say hello when I am next in the area. But be a year or three as I have a oldish dog just now and do not like to leave him.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It's just not cricket to denigrate us "Colonials" Gavin. After all, we've got the Trump card! - Welcome Andreas.

Phil S.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It's just not cricket to denigrate us "Colonials" Gavin. After all, we've got the Trump card! - Welcome Andreas.

Phil S.
And very welcome to it you are!

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hello and welcome Andreas ...........tons of great information and advice on here......even, if sometimes, you don't want it!! :D

65 1057

9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Since this is my first forum I feel the urge to press each button at least once... If the server crashes soon - I plead guilty. So I start with my layout. Bahnhof.jpg

I like long distances between the stations, but I had to compromise... Thats why the small extension route across the garden is still not yet approved
The DCC Power is crammed into an old photo suitcase. Initially I did not want to spend too much money, so I started with Uhlenbrock DAISY-2 set (2 amps only, the blue box). The set wasextended later with a Power 8 Booster (plus 150 VA transformator) amd wireless control. At the side are the connectors to the track and the rail triangle relay.
Power_Koffer.jpg

The track along the patio is not critical als long as nobody stumbles heavily downstairs
Rail_Patio_2.jpg

Attachments

• Rail_Patio.jpg
    Rail_Patio.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

65 1057

9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
The track cleaning is done by "THE TRACK CLEANER" - a liquid with rock flour on a felt padTrack_Cleaner_1.jpg

It fits under a standard LGB wagon
Track_Cleaner_3.jpg

No problems on the pointwork (derailing or so) - it just glides
Track_Cleaner_4.jpg

65 1057

9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
I'm currently replacing the standard Hook & Loop with S-Kuplix. When you drill a new hole in the holder you can move the coupling 2mm further inward with the effect to run "Buffer @Buffer" which Looks more prototypical. Here the differenceS_Kuplix_2.jpg

Here we have 2 S-Kuplix coupled buffer @ buffer. It works reliably as long as the radius is about LGB R3 (ca. 1.200 mm / 3.9')

S_Kuplix_3.jpg

Attachments

• S_Kuplix_1.jpg
    S_Kuplix_1.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 2 users