Heavy gauge power connections-suggestions please.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Or maybe the idea of carefully filing the end of the 12 gauge wire to a nice flat (square?) Cross section so the screw bites into the flat nicely?
That would be fine, but then the wire wouldn't be 12 gauge.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
While my forte may not be anything to do with electronics :rofl: might I refer back to the image I posted at #8. If this is indeed the box the OP is having difficulty putting his heavy gauge wires in, and nobody has suggested otherwise yet, then it seems something is amiss here. Might I suggest contacting the supplier or the manufacturer for their guidance. If your intended wiring, irrespective of what orthodoxy may appear to demand, won't fit then it seems something is being done out of spec'. Just me standing on the outside looking in ;):) Square pegs and round holes, etc'..........Max

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This has had me perplexed since the original post.

I have a Digitrax 00 spec one and have just fitted some mains 65 thou copper wire in it. But and here is the but there are 2 ways to get wire in these.
1 the screw is all the way down, in this position I could not fit the 65 thou wire. You can also see a small bar across.
2 the screw is all the way up then the 65 thou fits.
Could this be his problem?

Look at PROG B socket. Anti clockwise screw to top bar dissapears below. Clickwise bar comes up trapoing the 65 thou wire. But all the way down and you get the bar. Thus you have a situation where the bar can trap the wire to the top or bottom of said wire.
D8C39871-0350-4B12-A721-386123797843.jpeg69C5F895-D9CE-4732-86BB-029DB14BE9E0.jpeg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
So I have this new Digitrax EVOXD, and it has that screw barrier strip on it to connect the power supply and track connections. Being a good boy, I bought 12ga wire cause I’m running from the house, keeping the electronics indoors. The 12 ga wire does not fit in the barrier strip very well, and without much screw torque starts to push the 12 ga back out,

I have the big external supply and running multi-loco’s.

Any Body have good best practices/experience with wiring connections for this. I contacted them, they gave short answer, it will fit…my experience is different. Any ideas on getting a beefy connection from the system
Have a look at my post above, I think that is the solution to your problem.