LGB Track power terminals

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone have a view on LGB Track power connectors?

I have been using a soldered ring tag which I screw onto the standard two screw track connectors which seems to work OK but is time consuming. I have discovered a box of LGB power connectors, which I didn't know we had. I had to replace one recently as the plastic holder cracked and the connection was intermittent. As I have these it seems sensible to use them unless there is a good reason not to.

I am starting to wire up feedback cables for block detection which will require about 20 track connections, all external. I don't like the wire connection method for the LGB connectors and I think there is possibly a problem of over tightening but have no personal experience of using them.

Any thoughts welcome.

Robin

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I personally think that they are designed for starter-set, indoor use. - Taken off and on frequently, and not really for a permanent outdoor track..

I think outside, that the greater exposure to UV, greater range of thermal expansion / contraction, and wet weather, will all take a toll..

I would use solder tags on rail-joiners, or directly soldered connections.
Also a small loop of wire at each connection. - Allows for movement, and gives you a fighting chance, if you need to remake a connection.

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil. I'm not sure why we have these and I don't really think they are up to the job outdoors as you say. Unless someone says they have been using them for 20 years they are probably surplus.

Robin

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Phil. The LGB connectors are better suited for indoor use for temporary set ups, i.e. Christmas time, etc. They are easy to put on and take off with no tools needed.

However, on a permanent layout, IMO, they are too bulky and detract from the realism of the layout.

I use these to get power to and from the track.

They are small and less obtrusive.

sj40054.jpg

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Phil. The LGB connectors are better suited for indoor use for temporary set ups, i.e. Christmas time, etc. They are easy to put on and take off with no tools needed.

However, on a permanent layout, IMO, they are too bulky and detract from the realism of the layout.

I use these to get power to and from the track.

They are small and less obtrusive.

sj40054.jpg

Thanks John
I am using the equivalent joiners, I looked at split jaw but delivery and tax too much into Europe.
Robin