Have i got my led's wrong ??

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, i have made up some simple red/green signal lights using some 5mm led's on 5 volts with both negatives connected to a single 150ohm resistor, leaving 5v going to one or the other positive led leads. On all of them, the green led is perfect, but the red led is noticeably dimer. Any suggestions as i assumed the red & green have the same values ??. Thanks.
relay-coil.JPG

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The forward voltage of you red LED, will be around 2.2V
For the green, could be as high as 3.4V

Take the 150 ohm resistor out, calculate and fit a resistor in each of the switched legs..

It will also depend on how efficient your LEDs are, we also 'see' the same lumem level of different colours, as different brightness.
You may need to adjust your resistor values, to make the perceived brightness match.

PhilP.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
469353_relay-coil.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Always tempting to use the same resister for different LED’s, but as has been said not the wisest of things. Sheds diagram brill.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys, mut admit i was getting a reading of 2.2v on the red with a 150 ohm fitted & 2.8 on the green with the same resistor. Both when running separately & across the led legs. What is the best voltage to look for? As this may explain the greens brightness.

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
When building signals for my layout I had exactly this issue, even with the right value resistors on each LED.

I bought a shed load of different LEDs in each colour to try and get it right. In the end, I found a seller on ebay selling LEDs for LED matrix displays. As you can imagine, if one of the 'pixles' on a display is brighter than the other, your going to notice.

These were the best brightness match I could find, only downside is they are slightly oval - I'm guessing this is to allow them to be grouped tightly together.

I'll update later with a link if you are interested :)

Reactions: 1 user

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
When building signals for my layout I had exactly this issue, even with the right value resistors on each LED.

I bought a shed load of different LEDs in each colour to try and get it right. In the end, I found a seller on ebay selling LEDs for LED matrix displays. As you can imagine, if one of the 'pixles' on a display is brighter than the other, your going to notice.

These were the best brightness match I could find, only downside is they are slightly oval - I'm guessing this is to allow them to be grouped tightly together.

I'll update later with a link if you are interested :)
Must admit i am not that happy with the led brightness in general & have ordered some 1 watt versions & will see how these fare. At least i can make them dimer, where i cant make the normal led brighter without shortening the life of the led. I m also wanting to see these from 30met away in the daylight.
I Might have to find a night time dimer. Possibly a photocell with an extra resistor that kicks in when the local light level drops to make them less bright in the evening..

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
There are a number of things you need to consider..
You will never beat Old Sol!
A flat plate behind your 'lamps' will help. - Think traffic-lights.
A cowl over the lamp, as well.
The wavelength (and spread of wavelengths) emitted by your LEDs.
The efficiency of the LEDs. - Lumem value.

Once you start using high-power LEDs, you will need to consider the power rating of your resistors, and the fact that you will have heat to dissipate. - A black-painted lamp housing, in full-sun, containing an illuminated 1W LED, will possibly be running pretty close (exceeding?) it's upper rated operating temperature.

PhilP

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
1W LED's - crikey. Worth noting that you will need resistors to match, and likely heatsinks. Edit - PhilP makes some good points.

As for a dimmer - have a look at this: dimming led with photoresistor

You would likely need to dive a Transistor / MOSFET to deal with the current draw of a 1W LED - I would imagine around 300mA.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
1W LED's - crikey. Worth noting that you will need resistors to match, and likely heatsinks. Edit - PhilP makes some good points.

As for a dimmer - have a look at this: dimming led with photoresistor

You would likely need to dive a Transistor / MOSFET to deal with the current draw of a 1W LED - I would imagine around 300mA.
If my calculations are right on the 1 watt? with a FC: 300-350mA & a FV: 2.2-2.4Va 9.1Ω resistor at 5v or a 30Ω at 12v. But will experiment with these to help with the heat. Its all part of the fun. ;)
PS: Thanks for the photocell idea. I like the simple NO:2 version for a tight space.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Calculate the wattage being dissipated in your resistors..
Double it, for the rating of resistor you buy. - They will run cooler, and give you a little peace of mind.

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I read through this thread, nowhere do I see anyone telling the OP that LEDs work on current, not voltage (since they are really a low resistance short in one direction)

You need to buy LEDs with specifications, max current, and good ones will give you brightness...

You calculate the dropping resistor based on the specified current, usually 20 milliamperes or so... a PROPER LED resistor calculator also takes into consideration the NOMINAL voltage drop on the LED, since it affects the R=V/I calculation.

If you are getting picky about brighness, then you need to do this right...

Greg