Hartford Ely-Thomas log car kit

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
I have just got a nice Hartford Ely-Thomas log car kit to build made from wood and metal parts .
Has any one ever made one ?? as i have a few problems before i start the build first the plans are all in inches being as young as i am i only use metric so i have converted all the measurements into MM . Next problem is the drill sizes have no idea what #72, 65 ,62 mean ?? what would this be in MM.
Then there's the glue am i ok using super glue to fix the white metal parts is this like cynoacrylate (ACC) glues ??
046975b878ee416eb24f498852a2b134.jpg

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
Re:Hartford Ely-Thomas log car kit

hi richie... wow u got nice kit..look superb.

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers

Cheers Steven
Have just spent the last hour checking off all the bits in the kit and seeing where they go on the plan doesn't look half as bad to build now as it did when i opened the box .

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers

Have just finished my Hartford log car not the easiest kit to build , had to convert all the measurements to metric before i made a start and had to read the instructions several times as some parts just didn't make any sense :wits: found alot of the small white metal parts very hard to handle and fragile the worse part was building the brake hangers and fitting the release rods .
Just need to add couplings now not sure to go with the hook and pin like the real log car or use Bachmann knuckle couplings to match the rest of my logging stock .
d4a25a06d0544ce5a0786e57946e5d29.jpg

409cf975c9334898bbc3c58cfd161907.jpg

close up of the brake gear
1e08d79b94144dd7946f393741ec2f4b.jpg

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers

wow u doing a great job on it..loves tht wheels!!!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Lovely model. Well done.

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Very nice, I suggest if you dont use pins it will spoil the nice model you have made. I have one skeleton log car like yours and a train of disconnects. I have one knuckle coupling on the end of the skeleton and the rest of the train has loop and pins, works very well.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

seruisly nice bit of modeling there!!:clap:

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers

Woderwick said:
Very nice, I suggest if you dont use pins it will spoil the nice model you have made. I have one skeleton log car like yours and a train of disconnects. I have one knuckle coupling on the end of the skeleton and the rest of the train has loop and pins, works very well.
Cheers for all the kind comments :clap:
I would like to use the hook and pins Rod as they would look better Steve at Back2bay6 has them in his shop but the only problem i have is all my other logging stock has Bachmann couplings which i think i might have to use .

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers

wow.so i remember tht u build a caboose with yr own idea doing the floor and the items on it so where abt is it? need pictures of it? coz i have DELTON caboose tht i won on ebay months ago!!! need to look at it so mean i m willing to make it inside...